Conservative Party (UK) leadership election, 2022, Take Two
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:49:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Conservative Party (UK) leadership election, 2022, Take Two
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24]
Author Topic: Conservative Party (UK) leadership election, 2022, Take Two  (Read 23418 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: October 28, 2022, 01:57:18 AM »

I've kind of changed my opinon on Sunak, he's currently rich but he wasn't realy born into it. His family background is solidy upper-middle class, and I think that probably allows him to appele better to the electorate than someone born a plutocrat.

It's true that he wasn't born into obscene wealth. He has it now because he married into it. Somehow I doubt that that makes him seem like a man of the people.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #576 on: October 28, 2022, 06:51:27 AM »

I've kind of changed my opinon on Sunak, he's currently rich but he wasn't realy born into it. His family background is solidy upper-middle class, and I think that probably allows him to appele better to the electorate than someone born a plutocrat.

It's true that he wasn't born into obscene wealth. He has it now because he married into it. Somehow I doubt that that makes him seem like a man of the people.

No but you see every working class man wants to marry a billionaire heiress so actually Sunak is a aspirational working class hero salt of the earth man of people.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #577 on: October 28, 2022, 07:46:18 AM »

Sunak is, I think, quite reassuring to the Times reading classes (whether they actually read that newspaper or not) and I think his background, and the resulting way he behaves in public and so on, is one reason for that. This is a section of society that he probably does connect to relatively well. It is a fairly small section of society.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #578 on: October 28, 2022, 08:14:22 AM »

Luv me JK Rowling
Luv me NHS
Luv diversity as long as it's not rap music
Hate trans people
Hate Jeremy Corbyn
Hate Islington even though I liver there

Simple as
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #579 on: October 28, 2022, 10:38:42 AM »

Luv performative civility - maybe this defines the "Times reading classes" most of all.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #580 on: October 28, 2022, 02:25:59 PM »

Well both Cameron and Boris were born into solidly upper-class backgrounds so Sunak does come from relatively humble roots compared to them.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #581 on: October 29, 2022, 03:26:19 AM »

Well both Cameron and Boris were born into solidly upper-class backgrounds so Sunak does come from relatively humble roots compared to them.

Sunak went to private school, which less than 6% of the population do (ie 94% don’t). If that makes him middle class then the term middle class has become meaningless.

By any reasonable definition he is part of the upper class.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #582 on: October 29, 2022, 01:50:22 PM »

Sunak went to private school, which less than 6% of the population do (ie 94% don’t). If that makes him middle class then the term middle class has become meaningless.

No one is denying that he's from a comfortable background, but child of a Pharmacist and doctor is not exactly the sort of background that screems plutocrat.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #583 on: October 29, 2022, 02:42:09 PM »

No one is denying that he's from a comfortable background, but child of a Pharmacist and doctor is not exactly the sort of background that screems plutocrat.

Maybe, but attending Winchester College after a prep school is not “upper middle class” in any sense. He is from the privileged elite.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #584 on: October 29, 2022, 02:53:41 PM »

Maybe, but attending Winchester College after a prep school is not “upper middle class” in any sense. He is from the privileged elite.
What do you define "upper middle-class" as ? Because Doctors and Pharmacist two well-paid proffesions seems to be about as exemplary of it as possible.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #585 on: October 29, 2022, 03:56:25 PM »

What do you define "upper middle-class" as ? Because Doctors and Pharmacist two well-paid proffesions seems to be about as exemplary of it as possible.

Not people who went to a fee-paying school, which is only 7% of the population - it’s not that complicated.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #586 on: October 29, 2022, 04:12:38 PM »

https://youtu.be/_Yr4yEguWrw
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #587 on: October 29, 2022, 05:41:31 PM »

Well, historically speaking 'upper class' would indicate a member of the nobility, which Sunak certainly isn't. If you use that traditional metric, then there would be no contradiction of someone being in the 'elite' in a material sense and also being upper middle class.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #588 on: October 30, 2022, 02:16:58 AM »

I mean financially sure, but Britain has much larger class divides from a social perspective (America has a larger fiscal separation, ofc)
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #589 on: October 30, 2022, 04:20:29 AM »

Non-historically speaking, I consider upper middle class people to still be dependent on their income. They may own 1-2 properties with mortgages, they may have a high income, but they are still dependent on said income and getting up every day to earn a wage (even through their SME or self-employment). They probably have more expensive hobbies and free time than lower to middle income classes but fundamentally if they lost their job it would still have a material impact on their lifestyle.

Upper class people who are no longer middle class are people who can afford to just do square root of nowt all day because they have multiple properties, capital income, or just inherited family wealth.

Sunak could just down tools tomorrow and live the rest of his life jet setting around the world.

That's my 2cents.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #590 on: November 05, 2022, 04:35:48 AM »

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-63503932

Sir Graham Brady confirmed that Boris had the backing he needed to run for the Tory leadership, but just chose not to run.

If Brady says he had the numbers then he did, but I do think something else happened that is being kept behind closed doors. I have a very hard time believing that Boris just decided not to run.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #591 on: November 05, 2022, 05:26:18 AM »

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-63503932

Sir Graham Brady confirmed that Boris had the backing he needed to run for the Tory leadership, but just chose not to run.

If Brady says he had the numbers then he did, but I do think something else happened that is being kept behind closed doors. I have a very hard time believing that Boris just decided not to run.

Somebody must've made it clear to him that him winning the leadership would just lead to Keir Starmer becoming PM by the end of the year.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #592 on: November 05, 2022, 07:21:35 AM »

Hmmm, you do suspect we aren't being told the full story don't you.

Not *totally* impossible that Johnson got the final nominations he needed by telling the MPs that he wasn't going to stand and it was all just for show. One thing is for sure - he *didn't* have the number required on Saturday afternoon, when the BBC et al reported as undisputed fact that he did.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies