California gets gay marriage and very hot weather (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 10:11:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  California gets gay marriage and very hot weather (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: California gets gay marriage and very hot weather  (Read 10319 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« on: May 15, 2008, 10:34:39 PM »

You know, California's state legislature passed a law legalizing gay marriage a couple of years ago. Schwarzenegger vetoed it--not because he opposed it, but because he said, "Let the courts decide." (Imagine him in his ridiculous accent saying it. It sounds much more convincing that way.) So they did.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 12:28:49 AM »

You have to live in MA to get a gay marriage, but I was saying people will go back to their home state taking it to the courts. I believe some state will follow CA and let gay marriages happen.

The law isn't observed in Massachusetts and lots of couples did get married here and took their marriages back to other states. Most places don't recognize them, New York as of this year being a huge and prominent exception.

The reason no one has taken a Massachusetts marriage to Alabama or Indiana and tried to start an anti-DOMA test case is because the gay rights organizations recognize this would be a strategic mistake at this moment in history and only trigger a constitutional amendment if successful. Better to let several states have same-sex marriage for a while before moving forward.

Rhode Island and New Mexico also recognize Massachusetts (and foreign) same-sex marriages.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 09:52:38 AM »

It's not so much Sacramento but Yolo County (Davis), although I would expect Sacramento to be in favor as well.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 09:58:34 AM »

It's not so much Sacramento but Yolo County (Davis), although I would expect Sacramento to be in favor as well.

Davis is really small almost to the point of being irrelevant. Unless they voted 80-20 in favor but that seems unlikely just by looking at the age breakdown. Its weird how the usual age difference is absent from this poll. Do not know if this is that accurate at all. The central valley result is weird because not only does it have conservative whites in Bakersfield and Fresno, half the population is basically conservative hispanics. They may vote dem but they vote against abortion and gays when given a chance.

They generally don't vote at all, which makes me skeptical of this poll's ability to screen out the non-voting Hispanic population.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies