Labor Party Convention - SPRING 2020 - Kalawao, Hawai'i
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 11:49:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Labor Party Convention - SPRING 2020 - Kalawao, Hawai'i
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11
Author Topic: Labor Party Convention - SPRING 2020 - Kalawao, Hawai'i  (Read 7995 times)
n1240

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2020, 07:05:19 PM »

Aye
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2020, 07:22:20 PM »

no
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2020, 08:08:48 PM »

Should this amendment be added to the Party platform?

13. The government needs to strike an appropriate balance between gun rights and protecting public safety. In addition, the Labor Party believes that military-style assault weapons should be illegal

[ X ] Aye
[ ] Nay

Nay
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2020, 08:18:29 PM »

Nay
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2020, 09:14:51 PM »

Aye
Dac10
Rookie

« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2020, 11:35:18 PM »

XDac10

Nay

-although if it was just the first sentence (or the second was about conditions, and not just outright illegal), it’d probably be Aye.
Tirnam
France

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.35

« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2020, 11:44:53 PM »

Aye
Jay 🏳️‍⚧️
trippytropicana
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2020, 11:58:58 PM »

Nay
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2020, 12:05:46 AM »

Nay.

I support the item, but I also recognize we're a big tent party on the issue of guns.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2020, 12:13:16 AM »

Aye.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2020, 01:08:37 AM »

Aye
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2020, 01:19:47 AM »

Aye (21)Sad S019, Gass, Windjammer, Roblox, FalterinArc, Hindsight is 2020, Illiniwek, Solid, FrancoAgo, cg41386, PittsburghSteel, Dwarven Dragon, SevenEleven, LimoLiberal, Estrella, CookieDamage, n1240, Gorguf, Tirnam, New Frontier, Jimmie

Nay (23)Sad MB, YE, Gracile, Truman, Blair, TimTurner, Jimmy, Thumb, Oregon Blue Dog, Adam Griffin, Ted Bessell, SaltGiver, Chadpotkin, TDAS, R2D2, Devout Centrist, Celes, The Walrus, Virginia, Forumlurker, Dac10, Jayde, ON Progressive

Abstain (2)Sad Tack, Elcaspar

By a vote of 23-21-2, the amendment fails.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2020, 02:25:36 AM »

nay
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2020, 01:00:16 PM »

We, the members of the glorious Labor Party of Atlasia, believe in creating a more equal, free, and just society that benefits all. We stand in solidarity with all the working people of the world and with their efforts to increase wages and working conditions. We believe the core powers of society should belong to the common people: from the small farmer to the factory laborer to the teacher, and everyone in between.

We believe:

1. Every person has the right to quality healthcare free-of-charge. Nobody should be denied coverage because of pre-existing conditions.

2. People should take priority over profit, and therefore every worker must be paid a fair wage with guaranteed benefits including paid sick leave and vacation time.

3. The wealthy must pay their fair share in taxes, and a progressive tax system should exist to increase wealth equality while ensuring those at the bottom aren’t unduly hurt.

4. Every student has a right to a good, free, and public education. College tuition costs should be drastically reduced or eliminated and there should be more incentives and funding for other alternatives such as trade schools.

5. Jobs should never be outsourced overseas. Trade agreements should protect workers on both sides.

6. Large corporations need regulation in order to avoid the harmful consequences of unregulated capitalism and neoliberal dogma.

7. People have a right to privacy and as such should be free from unwarranted government surveillance. Government censorship of media and communications should not exist for any reason.

8. All people should be free from discrimination as much as possible. Businesses and the government should not fire or deny service to people based on their race, gender, or sexual orientation.

9. Prisons should focus on rehabilitating offenders, not locking them up and forgetting about them. Prison conditions should be improved and for-profit prisons should not exist.

10. Drugs should be federally decriminalized and anyone convicted of drug possession should be pardoned.

11. All of the rights and protections enshrined in the Constitution should be defended.

12. Combating climate change, pollution, and the degradation of natural resources is important for the health of the environment and all people.

13. The government needs to strike an appropriate balance between gun rights and protecting public safety.

Here's a slightly modified amendment that I think more accurately reflects Labor's Big Tent on gun control.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2020, 01:06:06 PM »

Erm, I think it needs to be more specific then that. Put in common sense regulations like stronger background checks, closing the gun show loopholes, and more informal stuff like promoting mental health treatment and cultural change to stem this massive epidemic of violence within our society. Just not the inane restrictions on ownership present with banning the type and quantity of guns as well as discrimination against felons and those with mental disorders without reasonable proof or subsections.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2020, 02:03:10 PM »

Would like to propose the following platform amendment.

14. No Atlasian should be forced to live on the streets because they can't afford housing. The government must act to curb rising rents and prevent gentrification.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2020, 02:15:22 PM »

Proposing a couple more amendments for when this vote is done, would recommend we vote on them separately.

Add to the end of the platform the following:

1X. The Labor party believes the regions should protect access to abortion throughout the first 20 weeks of pregnancy.

Add to the end of the platform the following:

1X. The Labor party is welcoming to all immigrants and would generally oppose efforts to mass deport undocumented immigrants or build/expand a border fence or wall.
Wulfric proposed these amendments yesterday too. I’m gonna give 24 hours for debate and then do a final vote.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2020, 02:32:46 PM »

I endorse both Wulfric amendments and the OBD amendment, I would support the Ted Bessell amendment if it was just the first sentence, I don't favor rent control
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2020, 02:36:47 PM »

I endorse both Wulfric amendments and the OBD amendment, I would support the Ted Bessell amendment if it was just the first sentence, I don't favor rent control

"Act to curb rising rents" can mean a lot of things -- rent control, or more YIMBY-type policies to boost development of affordable housing. Made it purposefully broad so that all factions of Labor can get behind it. Smiley
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2020, 02:53:43 PM »

"Act to curb rising rents" can mean a lot of things -- rent control, or more YIMBY-type policies to boost development of affordable housing. Made it purposefully broad so that all factions of Labor can get behind it. Smiley

thank you, this clarification satisfies my concern, I now endorse the amendment.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2020, 03:23:04 PM »

Tbh I am not really opposed to gentrification; it is an unavoidable reality
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2020, 03:31:32 PM »

I am dead-set against voting for an amendment that calls for opposing gentrification. I am willing to and welcome an amendment that avoids mentioning gentrification but calls for endorsing YIMBY policies designed to increase supply and thus reduce overall rents.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2020, 03:58:20 PM »

Balancing promotion of new development with protecting the (often POC) working class from being forced into exurbs and replaced by (often white) professionals is important in any housing policy. Don't want to get into the weeds here, but I think the vast majority of Laborites will support the plank as currently worded. If I'm proven wrong, I'll consider introducing/amending to a watered-down version.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2020, 04:42:09 PM »

True fact: plenty of PoC have benefited from gentrification.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2020, 04:45:44 PM »

A lot of galaxy brain takes here.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies