Path to a popular vote victory for the Republicans in 2024 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 09:39:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Path to a popular vote victory for the Republicans in 2024 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Path to a popular vote victory for the Republicans in 2024  (Read 2439 times)
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: December 03, 2020, 10:08:16 PM »

Republicans supposed "disadvantage" in the popular vote is oversold.  Any plausible Republican nominee *not named Donald Trump would have won the popular vote against Hillary Clinton in 2016, and said Republican would have probably been reelected (with a popular vote mandate) in 2020.
John Kasich, Jeb Bush, or Marco Rubio would have definitely won the popular vote in 2016 in retrospect given the type of campaign Hillary Clinton ran.

I actually doubt that. IMO Trump had an unusually good matchup against Clinton, he was able to portray himself as an outsider fighting a corrupt elitist. I think Clinton would have narrowly beaten Rubio or Jeb, though they would have won Florida by more. Not sure about Kasich.

Here's how I imagine a Clinton vs Rubio race going:

1) Rubio leads comfortably throughout the summer and has a near-double digit lead coming out of the conventions
2) Clinton starts to chip away at Rubio's support as he makes more gaffes
3) Rubio absolutely faceplants at the first debate
4) The stuff about Wainwright Park and Angel Barrios comes out and starts getting traction online
5) Rubio still wins the EC, albeit underwhelmingly and well short of what the polls showed a few weeks before the election, while losing the PV. He comes into office with no mandate (or a very weak one) and can't get much done during his presidency.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies