St Louis police murder scandal (PLUS: riots, idiotic press conferences, etc.) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 04:01:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  St Louis police murder scandal (PLUS: riots, idiotic press conferences, etc.) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: St Louis police murder scandal (PLUS: riots, idiotic press conferences, etc.)  (Read 46698 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« on: August 13, 2014, 09:59:12 PM »

Yeah, I've been following this story with morbid horror since the weekend.  This is a situation where the epithet "pigs" is, in fact, appropriate.

And I don't say that lightly.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 10:13:35 AM »
« Edited: August 15, 2014, 10:16:10 AM by traininthedistance »

If that's him on the video,  expect the controversy to go away quickly.

It still leaves a lot (if not all) questions about the shooting itself unanswered, though.

Agreed, but no one is going to care anymore. Most people will support the policeman now.

It doesn't excuse more-heavily-armed-than-Iraq SWAT teams and tear gas and media blackouts and such.  Such military response to the protests is still a scandal and a horror, no matter what bad things Michael may have done. (And, of course, gunning him down like that isn't justified or proportionate even if he did commit a crime anyway.)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 12:53:28 PM »

I don't really know what VOX is but this is a decent piece, nothing earth shattering, that I came across on Twitter in response to this weekend's NYT article:

Michael Brown didn't do anything as a teen that I didn't — but only one of us got killed

Vox is Ezra Klein's new internet journalism outfit.  Kinda similar to the new 538, except better. 

I saw that article as well (they're one of my main sources for news these days TBH), and yeah it's pretty obviously correct.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies