Marijuana Legalization Bill (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:08:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Marijuana Legalization Bill (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Marijuana Legalization Bill  (Read 6234 times)
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« on: November 21, 2004, 10:53:16 PM »

And why give someone extra penalties for robbing a bank under the influence of a legal substence? We don't charge people with bank robbery and public intoxication if they rob a bank drunk.

Being drunk or high would be considered to be an aggravating factor in the commission of the crime; It would thusly increase the sentence more than simple bank robbery. I don't know enough about the US penal code to tell you for sure, but I'm pretty sure that various aggravating circumstances can have their "value" in terms of years in jail increased or decreased by statute. That said, bank robbery and DUI are state crimes, and punishment for them is therefore defined by the regions.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 07:25:17 PM »

Beyond the obvious political arguments over this bill, there are some servious constitutional issues with it as well; Should it come to be passed I would recommend that the President exercise his veto on the grounds that this bill ignores the Constitution:

1. You cannot make the Regions accept the sale of marijuana in their borders - they have the power to regulate commerce within their region, it would extend to stopping the sale of marijuana.
2. Clause 3: Any Atlasian imprisoned on a marijuana related charged shall be released from prison albeit state or federal is unconstitutional prima facie because the federal government has no control over state prisons.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 03:47:38 PM »

Is this bill formally withdrawn?

If so, please lock it, and I will then delete it from the status thread.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies