Students mocking Michelle Obama lunch mandate (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:20:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Students mocking Michelle Obama lunch mandate (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Students mocking Michelle Obama lunch mandate  (Read 4299 times)
Link
« on: September 27, 2012, 08:58:44 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Man, it's almost like schools are prisons.

Why do you think I left public school and graduated via a charter high school?

I left private school and graduated from public school... better education.  There were a lot more rules and regulations at private school.  It was heavy on the fundy Christian stuff... pretty light on the science stuff.  Had to make a change... had to.
Link
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 12:01:00 AM »

These kids aren't getting enough to eat at school because their options are either ~800 calories of disgusting pseudo-food or nothing.

Every single objective data point indicates the average US kid is getting too many calories.  Let's not rewrite reality to fit our political points.  Okay?
Link
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 12:08:59 AM »

In USA, for some reason, servings in restaurants are awlays bigger than elsewhere.

Free market capitalism.

Really if you are making an omelet how much of the bill you charge the customer is comprised of the cost of the eggs?  The answer is a sliver.  It literally costs you pennies to toss in two more eggs.  The customer gets a huge omelet and they declare your restaurant the best.  The restaurant down the street sees this and and spends a few pennies and makes their omelet bigger.  It's an arms race.  The end result is a fat American populace that has no clue what true serving sizes are.  The idea that free market capitalism solves all problems is childish preschool drivel.

I heard one estimate that McDonald's makes the best margins on french fries and cokes.  In the US cokes are delivered as a relatively cheap syrup.  The restaurant then mixes the syrup with carbonated water and sells the sludge at a ridiculous markup.  They have such huge margins on that stuff they can afford to make the cups bigger and bigger.  Again the American consumer is left with a totally out of whack notion of what is appropriate.
Link
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 12:19:42 AM »

I heard one estimate that McDonald's makes the best margins on french fries and cokes.

Talking of McDonald's, in the rest of the world, the servings are smaller there.

I've been to McDonald's in multiple countries.  In Europe an adult male will order a small coke and a hamburger from the Euro menu and call it lunch.  That is very normal outside the United States of Obesity.  Americans have no clue about serving sizes.

Majority of kids do not like fish and seafood as an alternative of red and white meat for that matter.

Do you have any objective proof of this or is this something that was pulled from your buttocks just to shore up a shaky partisan point?
Link
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 12:23:04 AM »

This idea that the evil corporations are conspiring to make people fat is just typical anti-corporate conspiratorial thinking.

Nobody floated that strawman except you.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies