The House size needs to be increased (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 04:17:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  The House size needs to be increased (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The House size needs to be increased  (Read 3200 times)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« on: November 10, 2020, 09:34:21 PM »

I feel like this is a reform that can happen on a bipartisan basis since it doesn't directly benefit either side, but benefits the country.

Right now, we're approaching a point where we're going to have nearly 800,000 people per congressional district, which in my view is too much. We see these extensive congressional districts that stretch across diverse sets of communities, and the same few races that are always nationalized every 2 years. Parties try their hardest to get as many districts as they can through gerrymandering, and therefore suppressing the voices of certain communities.

Increasing the House size would ensure that each representative is able to represent a defined community of people, and also de-nationalize races a little bit. We would get more diverse voices from politicians who feel more obligated to serve their community than a national party. We might begin to see more DINOS and RINOS in congress; bigger tails to both parties ideologically.

More House districts would also make it harder to gerrymander without insane county splitting.

I also believe that the House size needs to increase with the US population every census cycle.

Is there any reason not to expand the size of the House? This is a reform that is desperately overdue in my view, and is something that the Biden administration could get done and should seriously consider.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 09:53:07 AM »

It would make it easier for Dems to win presidential races via the electoral college, which makes it unlikely that Republicans would allow it through to a vote.

You could argue it helps Rs in 2022 since it's a total reset of the House map which would weaken Democrat's incumbency advantages
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies