Utah is on track to end homelessness by 2015 by simply giving away apartments (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 11:30:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Utah is on track to end homelessness by 2015 by simply giving away apartments (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Utah is on track to end homelessness by 2015 by simply giving away apartments  (Read 6936 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« on: December 18, 2013, 11:07:53 PM »

The article doesn't state how this program came to be.  I'm surprised that a state like Utah of all places would embrace such a program, and now officials in Wyoming want to do the same thing.

Just imagine how much the homelessness problem would go down if states like California, New York, Pennsylvania and Michigan were to start something like this.

Except in CA and NY, it's less likely that the cost of housing the homeless would be cheaper than periodically putting out the fires of their periodic criminal and medical crises.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 08:31:49 AM »

The article doesn't state how this program came to be.  I'm surprised that a state like Utah of all places would embrace such a program, and now officials in Wyoming want to do the same thing.

Just imagine how much the homelessness problem would go down if states like California, New York, Pennsylvania and Michigan were to start something like this.

Except in CA and NY, it's less likely that the cost of housing the homeless would be cheaper than periodically putting out the fires of their periodic criminal and medical crises.

I don't have any numbers to verify what you said, but do you think that the status quo in CA and NY are preferable to Utah's program?  Homelessness is part of the reason those criminal and medical crises occur so frequently.

I never said anything about the status quo in CA and NY. I'm just pointing out that if your goal as a policymaker is to minimize the cost of maintaining the homeless population, Utah's solution probably isn't going to be the cheapest one if your housing costs are stratospheric.

Utah isn't doing this because they're a bunch of feel-good progressives who think everyone is entitled to a house and mental healthcare and candy and marshmallows. They're doing it because it saves them money versus what they'd spend at the back end when these people end up in the ER or in jail or damage property. The cheaper solution is also the solution that is no doubt better for the homeless, so it's a win-win.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 08:49:23 AM »

How long before other states start handing out bus tickets to Utah?

From this summer...

They've done that for a while. The fact that Hawaii is a volcanic archipelago with an inelastic real estate supply and structurally high prices due to everything having to be flown in from elsewhere basically means you're screwed if you're homeless.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 02:01:21 AM »

Good for Utah. It definitely improves my impression of religion when it is used as a reason to help the working class, as opposed to oppressing minorities.

That's the point.  There are no minorities in Utah to oppress.

But I thought the GOP hated poor white people too? It's not like they cut out a waiver for whites when proposing to gut food stamps/Medicare/Medicaid/Social Security etc.

White people don't use that "welfare." When poor whites don't work, they "go on disability." There is a surprising number of men across the rural South and Appalachia who are too sick or crippled to work but seem to have no problem hunting, fishing or going up to the Wal-Mart to spend their checks. But, you know, that's okay because they "earned" that money, unlike those lazy black folks in the cities getting their housing vouchers and food stamps.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies