Why do conservative American Catholics like Phyllis Schlafly hate evolution?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:56:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Why do conservative American Catholics like Phyllis Schlafly hate evolution?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why do conservative American Catholics like Phyllis Schlafly hate evolution?  (Read 553 times)
WindowPhil
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 18, 2021, 07:57:32 PM »

The Catholic Church advocates for evolution from what I heard, but many American conservative Catholics like Phyllis Schlafly are young earth creationists.

Why is that?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 08:52:32 PM »

Many conservative American Catholics are conservative Americans first and Catholics second, and that shows up big time in their views on subjects like this due to the past thirty or forty years of political alliance with Evangelicals.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 09:00:57 PM »

Don't a handful of them also reject the Second Vatican?

I think they're more in line with traditionalist Catholic teaching.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 10:03:33 PM »

Don't a handful of them also reject the Second Vatican?

I think they're more in line with traditionalist Catholic teaching.

They do, but papal acceptance of the basics of evolutionary theory actually predates Vatican II so not even that is an excuse in this case.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 07:11:37 AM »

I thought that the Catholic Church said that Catholics are free to believe in creationism or evolution?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 04:44:06 PM »

I thought that the Catholic Church said that Catholics are free to believe in creationism or evolution?

Indeed, my understanding of the situation is not that Catholicism "advocates for evolution", but that it permits belief in such a position. One can of course believe in evolution for science-based reasons, but it seems odd to cast creationism as being incompatible with Catholicism.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 09:02:37 PM »

Many conservative American Catholics are conservative Americans first and Catholics second, and that shows up big time in their views on subjects like this due to the past thirty or forty years of political alliance with Evangelicals.

To be honest most of them have simply never had the Church's position explained to them coherently. And on top of that the Church does not require us to believe in evolution, so there's not a huge point in raging on about it. You are vastly overestimating the malice of the normies here; most of them just go with the flow, and since the religious culture of the US is driven by evangelicals, a bunch of Catholics are going to end up thinking evolution's not real.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 11:05:49 PM »

It is worth noting that many Christians, Catholics included, falsely believe that evolution precludes belief in a literal fall of a literal Adam and Eve from whom we all inherit original sin.  This is partly because many proponents of theistic evolution, like Biologos, often downplay the importance of there being a literal Adam/Eve so people package these views together rather than treat each as separate issues.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies