Australia General Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 12:01:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia General Discussion (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Australia General Discussion  (Read 255754 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2012, 05:15:57 AM »

I've never seen my facebook wall so full of blind people. The left are completely ignoring the texts but all posting about Gillard's absolutely stunning parliamentary performance, the right are all ignoring the fact that Abbott got reamed in parliament and focussing on what a horrible, horrible man Slipper is.

So even though the guy Gillard was indirectly supporting is filth of the kind that the left hates, and even though Slipper represented the coalition for something like 20 years, everyone got what they wanted from today.

As for me... as much as I hate Abbott and was pretty much cheering on the PM word for word, I think the resignation makes the day a slight win for the opposition.

...although probably more accurately, everyone lost except the hacks.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2012, 05:17:46 AM »

Gillard in parliament, btw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihd7ofrwQX0

Worth a watch.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2012, 12:47:40 AM »

Here's a sample of roughly half the comments people made when sharing that video from amongst my facebook friends.

Sham: sh**t got real!
Chai: The Prime Minister delivered an amazing speech, in light of Abbott trying to position himself a feminist, going onto quote some of the misogynistic things Abbott has said about the PM and all women. "The Leader of the Opposition should think seriously about the role of women in public life and Australian society; because we are entitled to a better standard than this" (pointing at Abbott). *applauds*

Raveena: The best thing I've ever seen.

Olivia: AMAZING.

Tully: The Prime Minister.

Ana:  keen for the inevitable blundering attempt at justification.

Shane: Good watching Smiley

Katie: I'm not pretending to be an expert in politics, but I do know that this is the best 15mins of viewing I have seen in a very long time. Julia Gillard, if you can speak with this conviction and passion all the time then we would have on our hands one very powerful leader. Very inspired. (PS, Tony Abbott what are you even doing in parliament, seriously)

Ben: Like a boss.

Sarah: Finally Gillard calls out Abbott as a misogynist. Please, Australia, do not elect Abbott at the next election!

Harry: First good speech I've heard Gillard present yet! Come on Julia, keep turning your words in support of women's rights into action! Lead through example!

Danielle: badass!

Danni: The best ever.

-----

About half.

Seems to be really, really enthusing the left.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2012, 10:48:12 AM »

First ballot now complete in the vote to get on to the UNSC. Finalnd should win through very comfortably, and we're slightly favoured for the second spot against Luxembourg, but it's apparently very close. Should all have finished ages ago, now 2:45am and still no result.

A decisive result could take days, but the counting each round shouldn't.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2012, 11:13:33 AM »

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES

Woo! 140 votes!

Finland comes last :/
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2012, 05:08:29 PM »

The poll at the bottom of that article is craaaazy.

"Is Tony Abbott a liability for the coalition?"

Yes: 98%
No: 2%

...so, I assume that means there's a very low sample size, right?

124,980 voters.

I'm not aware of any concerted facebook campaign, and I probably would be if one existed, to skew this poll.

Obviously it's not scientific, but it's definitely not good.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2013, 01:05:42 AM »

Terror mode: Nicola Roxon

Bad mode: Bill Shorten, Stephen Smith, Greg Combet, Wayne Swan

OK mode: Simon Crean, Tanya Plibersek

------

My thoughts would be Crean in a caretaker mode situation, and then Roxon. If it's a hung parliament, Gillard may stay on even if the ALP doesn't form government.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2013, 10:49:11 AM »

...said no-one, ever.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2013, 01:32:04 PM »

It's not actually her leftism, it's her populism that grates, followed by the fact that she would lead Labor to a bollocksing against even Abbott, and finished off with the way she treats her staff.

Then the leftovers are the fact that she's an ideologue but without a cause I can believe in, and her lack of appeal skyrockets.

---------

Honestly though, I can see her becoming leader, but I can't see her becoming PM. I'd say that's a good thing, except it would mean Labor losing to a PM Tony Abbott, and there is absolutely no excuse if Abbott gets in for it not being a one-term government.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2013, 09:25:53 PM »

At state level? I don't even think they're likely to lose, let alone be wiped out.

At federal level?

There is no excuse for Labor not aiming to win at least 3 seats off the coalition in Victoria at the federal election.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2013, 09:25:09 PM »

They're down by 10% state wide, people here are over Ted and Victoria has traditionally been one of Labor's stronger states. Ted isn't going to win another term.

Victoria is traditionally one of Labor's worst states, actually; the last decade was much more the exception rather than the rule. The difference is that our right wing is most state's center, and our left has always been divided one way or another, but still, Victoria is not a Labor state necessarily.

As for if he'll win, basically Labor are making themselves the smallest target possible in hope of wining on a protest vote. As they only need to win one or two seats, it's a smart strategy. But it isn't guaranteed to win, and it certainly isn't likely to be with a 10% gap at the end of the day.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2013, 05:49:02 AM »

...and 2010-2013 and counting.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2013, 01:28:19 AM »

He had something very similar published in around August last year, btw.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2013, 03:59:24 AM »

And before the CEC for me.

-

Social mode:
Smid: replying to your PM now.
Polnut: Up for a couple of drinks tomorrow night?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2013, 11:16:06 PM »

And before the CEC for me.

-

Social mode:
Smid: replying to your PM now.
Polnut: Up for a couple of drinks tomorrow night?

Didn't see that... sorry. Um, I might be able to do something this (late) afternoon/evening, but I've got dinner plans.

I'm staying with a friend in Evatt, so as long as it's somewhere driveable/with parking, I'm happy. Free from now until about 7 also. Maybe Lyneham? Not sure where is good and has airco Tongue
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2013, 11:31:22 PM »

OK, lt me know if you're around on the weekend, I'm not sure if my friend's BBQ is saturday or Monday for Australia day, but I should be free on both at some point as well as Sunday, but I'm busy tomorrow and friday.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2013, 03:32:36 AM »

Neutrally, I HATE this. With bias, I'm neutral Cheesy
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2013, 08:14:05 PM »

And me.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2013, 08:31:44 PM »

Rudd won't come back. If Gillard doesn't face the election, and she will, the replacement might be someone who brings Rudd back in to a position of power, but the leadership is just too much. My guess is that a neutral party would be selected, with Rudd taking Foreign Affairs, and then once they lose he retakes the leadership.

Who the neutral party would be... Crean seems to be positioning himself for it, but I'd suspect they'd go with Smith. Snore. But snore is better than Abbott Tongue
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2013, 08:43:24 PM »

Independent Senator Nick Xenophon has been detained as a security risk at the Kuala Lumpur airport, before he was due to meet with opposition leaders.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2013, 10:14:42 AM »

Seat-by-seat polling is bad, but it's also bad polling in general. Still, the sample sizes are sufficient.

Basically, Labor will lose three to five seats in Sydney, the question becomes where they can find them to make up. I can't see it unless they do better in QLD and Vctoria than they're doing, and neither is likely.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2013, 07:57:30 AM »

The ALP brand also held all state and territories and the federal government not that long ago.

The branding isn't the issue, it's just that the Libs have woken up to what people want in their state governments, and Labor had been in for too long. The federal party obviously contributed to these recent results, but in the leftish states, labor is still competitive or ahead in the polls at state/territory level.

Not sure what my point is other than that Labor is far from dead. Greens might be dying, though.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2013, 06:17:16 AM »

Eeeww. EEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWW. No please.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2013, 06:04:23 AM »

So we should have skippy the bush kangaroo as out anthem. Great.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2013, 07:14:11 PM »

OK, so tune of Waltzing Matilda, lyrics of I Still Call Australia Home mixed with We Are Australian? Tongue
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies