The Official Star Trek Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 01:46:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The Official Star Trek Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Official Star Trek Thread  (Read 43520 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: December 07, 2012, 07:20:40 PM »

I really liked the 2009 movie and everything, but the trailer doesn't leave me very excited. That trailer is barely recognizable as Star Trek.

And yeah, the title is super dumb, and the reason that it's super dumb is also super dumb.

The rule of thumb for Star Trek movies is that every other one is a stinker, so don't expect too much.

By the way, instead of Gary Mitchell, maybe the villain will be Gary Seven.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 10:52:05 AM »

By modern standards, the original Star Trek is a fairly lightweight piece of drama, but for its time it was a fairly cerebral television show. (At least during the first two seasons it was. The less said about the third, the better.)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 10:49:41 PM »

Lol at some nerds hating this because its a new alternate timeline.

To be fair, the thing I hate most about Star Trek is its overuse of time travel, and generally badly written time travel at that.  "The City on the Edge of Forever" being an exception but that is because unlike most of the drek that is Star Trek time travel, Kirk had to make an actual sacrifice to set things right again.  Most of the time, Star Trek has used time travel to explore an story in which things go badly for out heroes, but then everything gets reset so that not only no harm is done, but sometimes some good is done.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 12:34:30 AM »

"Spock's Brain" continues to haunt me.

"Brain and brain, what is brain?"
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 01:43:25 PM »

Yeah, it's clear they're at least playing into speculation that the villain is Mitchell or an alt-universe version of Mitchell.  It's entirely possible that in order to avoid paying royalties to Samuel Peeples' estate, Peeples wrote the second pilot episode of the original series, they'll rename or revise the characters enough for copyright purposes.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 04:58:33 PM »

Spoilers from the Sydney premiere last night are out and about.

If the spoilers I've read are accurate, especially as to the ending, I won't be wasting my money on this film.  Even some of the other stuff, such as the involvement of Section 31, while not so bad, isn't Trek to me.  I never did care for Section 31, as it was never believable.  I liked that they tried to make the Federation grittier and more realistic in Deep Space 9, but Section 31 was just as absurdly unrealistic, just in a dystopian way as opposed to Roddenberry's unrealistic utopianism.  Anyway the stuff I put in white text are minor spoilers. I didn't bother anything to say about the major spoiler. As for another minor spoiler, I do wish Abram had left the Tribbles alone.  They don't really fit into an Abram's film.  They should have waited to have the Tribbles appear in a more comedic Star Trek movie along with such classic elements as Harry Mudd.  That would be Stella!
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 09:28:28 PM »

Worf sitting in the mud bath in "Cost of Living" from Season 5 was hilarious. "So you're just supposed to sit here??" he barks. LOL.
From "Qpid" in season 4:
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 01:36:02 AM »

Well, I just finished season 2, so it seems like the -real- stuff is about to begin. Wink

Besides a few good episodes like "Q who", the season's ending was pretty dull. The last episode in particular was an utter mockery. It's easy to see they had to rush in to complete it.

But anyway, now I'm looking to be impressed. Smiley
Was that the one with the evil bugs that latched onto people and mind-controlled them (or was that the season 1 finale?) and had a plan to take over the Federation? I always found it funny how they never followed up on that plotline.

The bugs were the penultimate episode of season 1 and were a hastily conceived means of ending a storyline that Roddenberry vetoed about a potential coup within Starfleet by having it be due to an alien parasite.  Roddenberry's insistence that the Federation be perfect was a major weakness of TNG's first season.  The Borg, who were hinted at in the season 1 finale, proved to be the principal villain for TNG and once established, there was no need to revisit the bugs.  There had been some thought to making the bugs be agents of the Borg, but that was at the stage where the Borg were going to be an insectoid race rather than the cyborgs we came to love and fear.  Once the Borg were cyborgs, it wasn't possible to tie the two together and there was no role the bugs could play that the Borg couldn't do at least as well.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 04:54:31 PM »

Gene only backed off because of his stroke.  If he'd stayed healthy I doubt TNG would have lasted seven seasons.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 08:15:37 PM »

Though I'm a bit disappointed that the Borg haven't made their second appearance yet. I know the season finale is the famous two-parter that features them, but I though they would appear at least once between "Q Who" and then...

The Borg episodes of TNG generally went overbudget and overtime.  While they were popular, the mechanics of making them ensured they would be special episodes rather than regular ones.  It wasn't until CGI reach the point of making it practical to do Borg episodes for Star Trek: V'ger that it became possible for them to be used more often than they were in TNG.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 03:20:05 PM »

On the other hand, can we please stop throwing a Ferengi in every other episode? They are so f**king annoying, who thought it was a good idea to have these clowns as recurring antagonists in a supposedly serious show? Roll Eyes
Because they were originally supposed to me the main alien antagonists of TNG and it took the writing team time to realize they weren't up to the job. It's why we got the Borg and the Cardassians as replacements.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 10:11:54 PM »

Not surprisingly, MeTV showed the TOS episode that Yvonne Craig guest starred in tonight, "Whom Gods Destroy".
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 10:41:48 PM »

Start with the original series and then watch the animated series. (Optionally, watch the animated series between the second and third season of the original series.) Next do TNG, skipping the first two seasons. Next do DS9, then Enterprise. If you must, go back and watch the first two seasons of TNG, but by no means watch V'ger unless you absolutely can't help it. Feel free to do the movies, but they are by no means essential Trek.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 06:21:42 AM »

Both were cringeworthy, but ST V was cringeworthy in a way consistent with the rest of the canon while SW I was not.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2016, 03:21:48 PM »

I'm really looking forward to the new CBS series in 2017 (Star Trek: Discovery).

I'm not. But then unlike you I live where I'd have to purchase yet another streaming service to be able watch it as they are using it to jump start their CBS All Access service.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2017, 08:25:39 PM »

Not enough to get CBS All Access.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2017, 11:29:22 PM »

Didn't see it. Not gonna bother signing up for another streaming service just to see it. While I do watch over-the-air TV, the local CBS affiliate has too poor a signal for me to get it like I do NBC, ABC, FOX, and PBS.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 10:11:26 PM »

I'm not enough of a Star Trek geek to either buy CBS:All Access or seek out pirated episodes, so no opinion.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2020, 07:34:59 PM »

Don't care. I like Star Trek, but not enuf to add another streaming service, especially one with nothing else of note so far.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2020, 05:51:51 AM »

While a single episode probably isn't nearly sufficient to rate an entire series, I will give the first episode a "B".

If it holds this level of quality, I'd place the series somewhere in the middle field below TOS, TNG, and DS9, but above VOY, ENT, and DIS... well, perhaps on par with DS9.
DS9 is the best Trek series to date, tho not as good as B5. TNG depended on the quality of the season. Had it not had the Trek name, it never would've made it to a second season.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2020, 12:49:39 PM »

While a single episode probably isn't nearly sufficient to rate an entire series, I will give the first episode a "B".

If it holds this level of quality, I'd place the series somewhere in the middle field below TOS, TNG, and DS9, but above VOY, ENT, and DIS... well, perhaps on par with DS9.
DS9 is the best Trek series to date, tho not as good as B5. TNG depended on the quality of the season. Had it not had the Trek name, it never would've made it to a second season.

True, but applies to DS9 as well.

If anything, being Trek hurt DS9.  The weakest first season episodes were generally the ones where TNG characters made crossovers. (Aside from the pilot, where Sisko's distaste for Locutus of Picard was well used, but there, Picard was used purely in a cameo/supporting role rather than having the episode focusing on him.)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2020, 12:26:12 AM »

Terms of Service is the best Star Trek!

Yes I know what that stands for

But why does that prevent you from watching this one?

Meh, I was never a fan of The Next Generation. I didn't care for Picard's leadership and I thought the cast as a whole was pretty bland and uninspiring. It might be unfair to compare them to the TOS cast, but even standing alone I didn't think they had much chemistry.

I recall the meme that was popular on the internet back when TNG came out. (Yes, there was an internet before there was a web, and I spent too much time on it then. USENET lives!)

TOS = Classic Coke
TAS = Diet Coke
TNG = New Coke
the films = Cherry Coke
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2020, 09:15:11 PM »

I also find it ironic that Maddox/The Federation's cybernetic department made the same mistake as Noonian Soong did with Lore, Data's brother, by creating an army of rogue, misguided synthetics ...

But well, "errors" happen.
Errors such as lazy writing?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2020, 04:38:44 AM »

I just had a thought that would cause great rejoicing if they did it, but even if they were willing, I doubt the actor who plays the character would consider it.

ST:P is in a position to do a Scooby Doo move and make use of an unpopular character in a popular way. Wesley Crusher is TNG's Scrappy Doo. Like what happened with Scrappy Doo in the Scooby Doo movie, make him the villain responsible for the synthetics going rogue, and everyone is happy, except for Wil Wheaton, which is why it'll never happen. Of course, they could bring back William A. Wallace, who played an alternate version of Wesley in one episode, but that wouldn't be nearly as satisfying.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2020, 09:02:53 PM »

* Soji knows that the range of the device is 40.000 light years. Why ? Is she a former Borg ? Does she have Borg collective memory ? Is she the Borg Queen ?

It was specified in the episode of ST:V'ger where Voyager encountered the Sikarans that the spacial trajector has a range of 40,000 light years, so that info would be known to the Federation.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies