is political absolutism harmful for society.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 03:57:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  is political absolutism harmful for society.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: is political absolutism harmful for society.  (Read 5037 times)
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2010, 11:37:30 AM »

I'm not in any way opposed to federalism, Vepres. I just believe that certain universal rights must be guaranteed at federal level to ensure that all Americans are treated equally, irrespective of where they live.

For the most part, I'm in favor of decentralized government.

My question about counties and streets was more a provocation than anything....just to get an answer from Morgan about why precisely he thinks states should have all powers.

Oh, okay Smiley

I actually agree with you than (I'm just so used to not agreeing with you Tongue)
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2010, 03:02:52 PM »

In any event after reading several economic books, and having a discussion with an individual who has a PHD in the field I learned to be less absolutist.

I say it all the time...you really should have a PhD already. You might also consider trying to get a Nobel prize, as smart as you seem to be.

yah
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2010, 11:27:22 PM »

In any event after reading several economic books, and having a discussion with an individual who has a PHD in the field I learned to be less absolutist.

I'm sorry someone with a Ph.D had their way with you. Stand up for your beliefs and don't be trampled by the so called experts. Even if you are way out on the left. Those who think they know everything are the most dangerous to society. It's like Obama saying the media releases too much information. My friend there is no such thing as too much information. We are humans and not sheep. Do and believe what you think is right.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2010, 11:30:18 PM »

I think he means simple partisanship.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2010, 10:39:43 AM »
« Edited: June 13, 2010, 10:49:47 AM by HoffmanJohn »

I'm sorry someone with a Ph.D had their way with you. Stand up for your beliefs and don't be trampled by the so called experts. Even if you are way out on the left. Those who think they know everything are the most dangerous to society. It's like Obama saying the media releases too much information. My friend there is no such thing as too much information. We are humans and not sheep. Do and believe what you think is right.

From economics I learned that it is a bad idea to always be against something, or for something. In the end certain principles or political ideologies are not inherently good or bad, but instead are only sometimes correct. For example non-interventionism should be considered a practical mean to obtain a goal,but not an actual absolute end. This is because such things as non-interventionism is sometimes the right policy for some circumstances, but wrong in other circumstances.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2010, 01:27:13 PM »

I hate to even partially agree with Hoffman, but the most important thing to remember in almost any field is humility and the recognition that your most deeply-held beliefs might prove to be wrong.  The other thing is flexibility and the ability to throw out positions in the face of a changing reality.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2010, 02:03:15 PM »

I hate to even partially agree with Hoffman, but the most important thing to remember in almost any field is humility and the recognition that your most deeply-held beliefs might prove to be wrong.  The other thing is flexibility and the ability to throw out positions in the face of a changing reality.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?-john maynard keynes

In any event I have always held a bias against individuals who have strong opinions, or are so full of conviction. I'll always listen to what someone has to say but i am much more interesting in an individual who will sometimes express doubt into what they previously stated. Like a linguistic i am more interested in the errors that some one makes, and not the actual substance of the language.

In the end if an individuals wish to be right all the time i suggest they train themselves within the field of probability. This is a very interesting field because it has been shown that even great minds sometimes make simple mistakes, and perhaps this should humble us all.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2010, 03:15:34 PM »

I hate to even partially agree with Hoffman, but the most important thing to remember in almost any field is humility and the recognition that your most deeply-held beliefs might prove to be wrong.  The other thing is flexibility and the ability to throw out positions in the face of a changing reality.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?-john maynard keynes

In any event I have always held a bias against individuals who have strong opinions, or are so full of conviction. I'll always listen to what someone has to say but i am much more interesting in an individual who will sometimes express doubt into what they previously stated. Like a linguistic i am more interested in the errors that some one makes, and not the actual substance of the language.

In the end if an individuals wish to be right all the time i suggest they train themselves within the field of probability. This is a very interesting field because it has been shown that even great minds sometimes make simple mistakes, and perhaps this should humble us all.

I agree. Self-righteous people annoy me to no end, because the real world is a very diverse place with many different people holding many different priorities, backgrounds, & interests. To hold that any one belief is inherently correct is to deny the complexity of reality & the essential role that perspective plays in our comprehension of the world.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2010, 03:20:58 PM »

Bertrand Russell

I agree. Self-righteous people annoy me to no end, because the real world is a very diverse place with many different people holding many different priorities, backgrounds, & interests. To hold that any one belief is inherently correct is to deny the complexity of reality & the essential role that perspective plays in our comprehension of the world.

in the end we could all be wrong but as long as ethical and material progress continues despite what we think than it probably isn't that important what a political ideology may think to be true or false.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies