Why are US state legislatures bicameral? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 02:26:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why are US state legislatures bicameral? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why are US state legislatures bicameral?  (Read 1466 times)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« on: July 31, 2016, 07:46:43 AM »

Many bicameral states started with different ways to elect the chambers. In some the Senate reflected the counties, much as the US Senate reflected the states. Since the one-man-one-vote decisions of teh 1960's, the state legislative chambers were forced to to be elected on equal population ending any distinctions in that regard.

I've always wondered the same thing, and I think you were the one that mentioned the same back then. It's probably the explanation that makes the most sense.

I think the more interesting question is why no state has attempted to overhaul state government. Some of that, I'm sure, is due to the inertia against change and for incumbency. I do recall some states in recent years having proposals to go unicameral. I'd like to see a state adopt a more radical change (such as California) and go for a unicameral Parliamentary system. Considering the size of the seats in the State Senate in California, bicameralism is pretty ridiculous at this point.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies