Illegal Alien, Hid in Church for Year, is Deported, Finally (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 10:39:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Illegal Alien, Hid in Church for Year, is Deported, Finally (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Illegal Alien, Hid in Church for Year, is Deported, Finally  (Read 5315 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« on: August 21, 2007, 12:30:10 AM »

Good idea - but CLEARLY unconstitutional - you'd  have to make an amendment editing the definition of a citizen - and it'd never pass - b/c then the gov't could easily just control citizenship to whatever pleases them for their good.

Not really, as the relevant clause in the 14th Amendment is "born ...  in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof,"  An illegal immigrant or a tourist does not fall within the latter half of the requirement.  On the other hand, the child of a legal immigrant does, even if they never attain citizenship themselves.

How so? Illegal immigrants are bound by the laws of the United States as much as any other non-citizens in the country. Also, given the use of "born", the text appears to refer to the child, not the parents, so being "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" is inherent for a person born in the United States.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 12:29:39 AM »

If she is so concerned about her son being left in the US, she can let me know and I'll pick up the tab for his return flight back to Mexico so he can join her.

Her son is a US citizen.

You know you pay a price when you doe things illegally.

So children pay for the sins of the parents now? I thought we moved past that centuries ago.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies