Why did Peter Meijer do so poorly in Kent County?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:20:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why did Peter Meijer do so poorly in Kent County?  (Read 592 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 03, 2022, 03:48:44 AM »

smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 05:05:08 AM »

Mass exodus of moderate Republicans to Indies? It startles me, that a state, which in he past was so famous for moderate and even liberal (Riegle, Milliken) Republicans, now can't even vote for moderate conservative Meijer.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 06:29:20 AM »

The anti-Trump moderate Republicans in the district are still relatively religious Calvinists, so his social moderation may have turned them off. I saw a lot of attacks on him for that. Similar dynamic to Utah.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 07:38:14 AM »

The main reason is that too many of the folks there whose support he needed are now Democrats or at least strongly anti-Trump independents.  Kent County is the part of the district where this trend (which shows no signs of slowing down) is strongest.  However, there are some much smaller factors that probably also contributed (I’d say at the margins, but in a race as close as this primary, who knows what the deciding factor was?):

- Meijer kinda tried to have it both ways towards in late 2021/early 2022 whenhe’d make occasional statements vaguely implying that Biden was a greater threat to democracy than Trump.  However, this complicated his messaging.  This was when I knew his own internals were showing him in a really bad spot and IIRC he even told a reporter in early-to-mid 2022 that he fully expected to lose his primary.  

Anyway, I think Meijer would’ve been better off sticking to the original strategy of just owning his impeachment vote and running as a bipartisan champion of democracy.  He shifted back to that towards the end, but it likely muddled the messaging a bit in the meantime.  

- I also think redistricting really, really hurt Meijer in the primary in a way that has largely gone undiscussed.  Meijer originally had like 3-4 different C-list Trumpist primary opponents who all seemed pretty determined to stick it out to the primary.  Even if one had dropped out, Meijer did well enough that he likely would’ve won under such a scenario.  

However, all of the challengers except Gibbs were drawn out of the district under the new map.  One of them (Norton) even got like ~35% challenging a pretty Trumpy Republican incumbent, so Gibbs and him would’ve likely split the vote enough on their own for Meijer to win.  Unfortunately for Meijer, Gibbs ended up as his only opponent which gave the Trumpers plenty of time to consolidate.  

- Finally, the DCCC did some last minute ratf***ing to boost Gibbs b/c he’d be a far easier GE opponent.  I doubt this mattered too much, but the race was close enough that it’s worth mentioning.  My views on this are a little weird.  

I strongly support the DCCC’s meddling in Republican congressional primaries in districts with a potentially competitive GE.  This race was no exception and the beltway pundits need to stop whining about this.  Their job is to elect as many Democrats as possible and Meijer losing shifts this seat from Lean R -> Lean D.  However, if I lived in the district, then I would crossover to the Republican primary this cycle and vote for Meijer.  He risked his career to stand up for American democracy and that should count for something.  If you’re a Democratic operative than the right thing to do is to help boost Gibbs in the primary, but for me as a private individual, I want Republicans to see that really standing up to Trump (as opposed to just being disliked by him for some random arbitrary reason) isn’t automatic political suicide in a Republican primary.

I doubt this seat will decide control of the House, so it becomes a win-win.  Either we likely flip a Republican district in 2022 and hold onto it for most/all of the decade (worst case, it doesn’t flip until 2024) or a truly anti-Trump Republican beats Trump’s pick in a genuinely competitive primary.
On a different note, I really hope Newhouse and JHB win Re-election.  These are both safe Republican districts, so they are likely the best we will get.  Newhouse’s challenger in particular, Loren Culp, seems  to be an especially despicable individual.  Plus, in a way, there might be more utility in showing that one can survive being anti-Trump in a Safe Republican district than showing that one can survive it in a suburban swing district.  The latter is likely much easier to handwave away.  But I digress…
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 07:51:46 PM »

Maybe it was out of malice towards prices going up in his family's stores?

Ironically he actually may technically be more adjacent to  inflation responsibility than Biden.

In all seriousness though, this may have become one of the Democrats' easiest pickups, but it is at the expense of the GOP caucus becoming more fringe, cumulatively. Meijer was one of the best Republicans in the House by far.
satsuma
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -2.61

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 08:03:20 AM »

Mass exodus of moderate Republicans to Indies? It startles me, that a state, which in he past was so famous for moderate and even liberal (Riegle, Milliken) Republicans, now can't even vote for moderate conservative Meijer.

Indies can still pull a Republican ballot in Michigan even if they bothered to de-register. I'd say Kent County is exactly the sort of place they're losing voters to the Democrats. There's also the national phenomenon of more working-class areas being drawn to MAGA as opposed to moderates. I saw a map of this primary and Meijer's strongest area was East Grand Rapids, which is wealthier than other cities in the area.

Part of the "tragedy" of moderation is they are so often in blue states that can inflict losses by redistricting if they wanted to and if the state loses a seat in the Census. (NY, IL? and I do count MI-03 as a loss from redistricting – GR and Muskegon together is not red this decade.)

Another part is having to survive partisan primaries... unless you're in Alaska with ranked-choice vote.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies