Poll: Majority of Republicans don't trust science
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:29:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Poll: Majority of Republicans don't trust science
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Poll: Majority of Republicans don't trust science  (Read 1748 times)
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 16, 2021, 07:18:40 PM »

The stupid party
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 07:25:44 PM »

They don't want to believe the Truth that Dinosaurs and Humans started in African and Israel and Egyptian HEGAR mated with Abraham and made the Mongloid race that's why Samoas look Chinese and Black and Latinos look Asian because Blacks and Jews whom was whom are the Cave people mated to create Mongloid. That's why Jews buried their dead in Ossuary boxes, they were the Stone Age, Flintstones

We have drawfism in our race because we are primates from a Junior chimp that chromosome broke off to create a human

Dinosaurs crossed over from Africa into America's because land was connected, Ice Ages divided the continents by a meteorite
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 07:26:10 PM »

Hasn't this been the case for decades though? Just look how long they've been denying climate science.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 07:35:30 PM »

Unlike the newer, more authoritarian tendencies we've been seeing in polling of Republicans lately, this is not quite as new or recent of a development.
pantsaregood
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 07:39:44 PM »

They don't want to believe the Truth that Dinosaurs and Humans started in African and Israel and Egyptian HEGAR mated with Abraham and made the Mongloid race that's why Samoas look Chinese and Black and Latinos look Asian because Blacks and Jews whom was whom are the Cave people mated to create Mongloid. That's why Jews buried their dead in Ossuary boxes, they were the Stone Age, Flintstones

We have drawfism in our race because we are primates from a Junior chimp that chromosome broke off to create a human

Dinosaurs crossed over from Africa into America's because land was connected, Ice Ages divided the continents by a meteorite

what is this i dont even

I believe the bot finally broke, guys.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2021, 07:39:58 PM »

Having blind trust in science isn’t how science works though.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2021, 08:15:14 PM »

I have strong trust in peer-reviewed science, and should a good amount of new peer-reviewed scientific evidence show that previous science wasn’t right then I trust it
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2021, 08:15:18 PM »

The Republican Party will be a threat to our republic for as long as they deny that Jews were the Flintstones.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2021, 08:45:03 PM »

Hasn't this been the case for decades though? Just look how long they've been denying climate science.

And evolution.

what is this i dont even

I believe the bot finally broke, guys.

Random capitalization? Incoherent race science? The dwarfism thing? This is peak OC! Classic content!
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2021, 08:58:35 PM »

I agree that scientific literacy in this country is sorely lacking and the cause of countless political woes as is detailed here, but the most prominent voices in favor of the monolithic and infallible conception of "science", generally pop-sci hacks without any substantive intellectual contributions to their own name who dumb down the enterprise, aren't helping.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2021, 08:59:55 PM »

So MJ Hegar has been around for millennia, and mated with Abraham to create every race?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2021, 09:02:07 PM »

Republicans are the party of postmodernism.   Democrats, for all the influence of critical theory  in left-wing academia, are still mostly modernist believers in technocracy.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2021, 09:10:39 PM »

Lol somebody designed a terrible push-poll question and Republicans took the bait.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2021, 09:29:39 PM »

Nor should having blind distrust.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2021, 10:08:24 PM »

Lol somebody designed a terrible push-poll question and Republicans took the bait.

Thank you for pointing this out. It's essential context.

Priming people to think about science as an institution instead of as a process or a body of knowledge will shift focus from the process/knowledge to the people who do it, and of course the last two decades have been marked by an erosion of trust in all sorts of institutions this will cause people to answer less favorably.

This erosion of trust isn't entirely unwarranted either. The public health establishment (yes, public health is slightly different from medical science and associated fields, but I'm not sure how many non-scientists will make this distincion) has shown its bare ass multiple times in the last 16 months. Scientists have (arguably justifiably, although this would be a good debate) launched themselves into the world of politics  in the last decade and in an era of hyper-polarization (especially along educational lines) this is a recipe to get an outgroup to distrust you and your motives.

I am a scientist. I work with scientists. I believe in the scientific process (when it isn't being corrupted). But if you asked me what I thought about science "as an institution" I would give a less glowing review than I would otherwise.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2021, 10:22:57 PM »

Should I be shocked?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2021, 10:35:45 PM »

It's not simply that the Republican Party is collectively stupid. That is actually giving them far too much credit.

The Republican Party rejects science for the same reason it is rejecting representative government and rule of law: because Republicans don't like the answers they get.

Human beings are not perfectly rational. Lots of objectively irrational things influence our observations and our decisions. But today's Republicans have gone far beyond (below?) typical human error, and they've done so for the most petty and selfish reasons: they refuse to be told, "no".

Treating Republicans, collectively, as a howling mob of spoiled brats is a pretty good model for their behavior. "I don't wanna get a shot!" "I wanna drive a big car!" "I don't like her being able to do that!" "I wanna do whatever I want!" "I don't like strange people!" (You can probably start to see why Trump was so appealing to Republicans.)

The fundamental problem for Republicans is that no matter what delusions they spin themselves, they still have no choice but to connect with objective reality. Their actions have consequences, even if they refuse to acknowledge them. And they really hate that.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2021, 10:47:46 PM »

Notice the huge gap between now and the 70s, when more Republicans than Democrats trusted science.

This is what happens when educated people flee a party in droves.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2021, 11:21:11 PM »

Is that you Hotep Jesus?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2021, 11:23:38 PM »

Most Americans' exposure to 'science' is the CGI graphics in shampoo commercials that explain how it makes your hair shiny.

But anyway, Stephen Colbert hit the nail on the head when he said that reality has a liberal bias.  The Republicans are welcome to stay in their distant fantasy kingdom of lies and nonsense; but I just wish they’d leave the rest of us (and the country) alone.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2021, 11:59:03 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2021, 12:02:39 AM by Mr. Kanye West »

So MJ Hegar has been around for millennia, and mated with Abraham to create every race?

They are the Cave people because blacks are the only race that have nappy hair not straight hair and every other race have straight hair

Jesus and James and Mary Magdalene were buried in Ossuary boxes in stone, and Jesus was buried behind a rock, Cave people were buried behind rock's

Flintstones had stone hones

Jews and Egyptians created the Mongloid race because Samoans look Black and Latinos have Chinese eyes we are all related
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2021, 12:12:58 AM »

They are the Cave people because blacks are the only race that have nappy hair not straight hair and every other race have straight hair

Jesus and James and Mary Magdalene were buried in Ossuary boxes in stone, and Jesus was buried behind a rock, Cave people were buried behind rock's

Jews and Egyptians created the Mongloid race because Samoans look Black and Latinos have Chinese eyes we are all related
Are you familiar with the Nation of Islam and Elijah Muhammad and Louis Farrakhan? Or the Black Hebrew Israelites? What are your thoughts on Yakub?
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2021, 12:52:15 AM »

Our SECULAR professor of anthropology has spoken.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2021, 01:14:53 AM »

I mean after the past  year when so many scientists became political too , it’s no surprise this is the case .
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2021, 01:19:19 AM »

I would like to see polls taken in between 1975 and the present. What about 1985? 1995? 2000? 2010?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies