1960 Popular Vote (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:40:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  1960 Popular Vote (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1960 Popular Vote  (Read 6531 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: August 02, 2009, 03:18:21 AM »

One can make a strong argument that Nixon won the 1960 popular vote.  The pivot point is Alabama.  Six of the eleven Democratic Electors were were pledged to Byrd
Liar. Next.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 03:10:26 AM »

Lewis, I realize you are a respected and intelligent poster to this website.

I would deeply appreciate it if you would not refer to me as a liar.  You can call me uninformed or misled, or even ugly.  Perhaps dumb might be appropriate.  But not a liar.  Please.
But I don't consider you any of these other things. So why would I want to call you them? *shrugs*

Notice that I called you a "liar" only in regards to the quoted part - the first part of your post, and (if you read closely enough) directly contradicted by the wikipedia quote. The presentation of the facts there is slanted but broadly correct, and I'm not calling you anything for it.
Nobody was pledged to Harry Byrd. Harry Byrd was not a presidential candidate that year. Nobody knew who the unpledged electors would be voting for. We are talking of a distinction of pledged Democratic electors versus unpledged Democratic electors, nothing else. You could even make an argument that we are talking of unconditional Kennedy electors versus conditional Kennedy electors, and that the indy vote in Mississippi and Louisiana should be added to Kennedy's popular vote total as well (I'm not actually endorsing that argument, btw.) Certainly the public expectation was that Kennedy would be able to count on the segregationist Electors if he needed them - at a political price.

That's the one thing.

The other thing is of course the background of the claims' popularity. "Democrats oughtn't to complain that we stole 2000 because they stole 1960." Which is a frankly disgusting lie that one would hope has really, really run its course.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 02:27:51 AM »

There was no massive voter fraud in Illinois. There was *some* fraud in Illinois, by both sides, but nothing out of the ordinary. "Illinois stolen in 1960" is an urban legend, in part a consciously fabricated one.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 09:13:47 AM »

I doubt they keep track of such trifling mortal matters up there... Sad
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 01:14:18 PM »

I think you should turn your sarcasmometer up, badger. Smiley