Rubio: Federal Marriage Amendment "Steps on the Rights of States" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 12:50:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Rubio: Federal Marriage Amendment "Steps on the Rights of States" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rubio: Federal Marriage Amendment "Steps on the Rights of States"  (Read 11524 times)
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« on: February 25, 2013, 03:44:02 PM »

Agreed that the state's rights rhetoric is applicable for certain things, but not for a nationwide issue of equality. Rubio should have said something to the effect of, "my personal beliefs will in no way shape or form discriminate against having equal protection under the federal law for ALL American citizens." In fact, I think all conservatives can and should get behind that even if they oppose it on a personal level.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 04:51:50 PM »

Well, for starters, that's the way things are headed, and Republicans better realize that. I can see the SC overturning DOMA within the year or next (remember 4 states passed this already). It would be good for them to stop fighting the inevitable. If you were to ask me where I stand, it's this: While I disagree with the homosexual lifestyle, I believe that we have the freedom to live the life we choose to live. With that, all American citizens deserve equal protection under the law.

Rubio, like some Republcians, are already beginning to change their tone on this issue. I don't think he really believes that it's a states rights issue, and I would call on him to just be honest about it.

I don't think my position is that out of the mainstream. I would encourage other conservatives to adopt this as well. As a party, we preach the core issues of personal responsibility, personal freedom, and liberty and justice for all. It's about time we start walking the walk.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies