Parties in a CSA (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:59:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Parties in a CSA (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Parties in a CSA  (Read 8720 times)
useful idiot
YaBB God

« on: January 17, 2010, 12:14:29 AM »
« edited: January 17, 2010, 12:18:32 AM by useful idiot »

A Whig-ish party in the Clay mold, probably led by Alexander Stephens at first, and a Jacksonian/Jeffersonian party.

There probably wouldn't have been time for a party system to develop, as the CSA would have likely crumbled in 10 or so years.

What would lead you to believe this? Of the five richest states in 1860, New York was fifth, and the other four were Southern states. It obviously depends under what scenario the war ended and in what year, but I can't see a CSA having won in 1862/63 with recognition from the United States, not lasting for a while. Given the immediate support they would have gained from Britain and France, who were undergoing a cotton shortage at the time, I think the South could have easily rebuilt itself from the first two years of war.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 02:33:00 PM »

The mere fact that slavery wasn't the most practical scheme financially does not lead directly to emancipation.  In fact, outside such areas as Virginia (which were undoubtedly moving towards emancipation even before the war), I think slavery might've held on for a long time after there was any real reason for it.

According to the CSA constitution, if one state wanted to abolish slavery then every other state had to grant permission. This would either prolong the institution or cause a serious fracture imo...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies