Trump supporters, what would cause you to vote Democratic?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 09:23:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Trump supporters, what would cause you to vote Democratic?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump supporters, what would cause you to vote Democratic?  (Read 1408 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 07, 2017, 05:58:48 PM »

A counterpart for our other thread. For those of you who are currently Trump supporters, what would it take for you to vote for the D candidate against Trump in 2020?
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 06:03:11 PM »

Nothing except Trump committing genocide.
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 06:25:40 PM »

If Trump fails to deliver on all his promises and has a rough presidency.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 06:39:17 PM »

What if he "delivers" but it's bad? Like he gets the Wall passed but it takes forever, costs that taxpayers a lot, and gets tied up in legal problems because he will have to seize private property to get around the Rio Grande
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 06:41:18 PM »

What if he "delivers" but it's bad? Like he gets the Wall passed but it takes forever, costs that taxpayers a lot, and gets tied up in legal problems because he will have to seize private property to get around the Rio Grande

I doubt I will vote for any Democrat other than Sanders
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 06:48:16 PM »

If Trump nominates the wrong judges or does something insane when it comes to foreign policy, I could see myself voting Green or Constitution. But I don't think I can support any Democrat at this point.
UncleSam

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 07:26:29 PM »

While I voted for Johnson and couldn't bring myself to vote for Trump because I felt he had no solid economic plan, I was nonetheless somewhat hoping Trump would win simply because the Democratic party (and particularly the Clinton wing) has become such an unpleasant almost religious group - the Clinton campaign would say something over and over again, and regardless of how preposterous it was, people would just repeat it. At least when Trump said something preposterous most Republicans I know would admit that it was false and he would generally stop repeating it as much over time (walking back on a full Muslim ban being a good example). I've worked for government contractors and I know 100% for a fact from my own personal security training that if I had done anything remotely similar to what Hillary did, I would've ended up in prison; for them to claim it was a 'security review' and how that whole thing played out was just such a slap in the face to basic accountability of our elected officials.

I hope Trump is successful, but if my qualms that caused me to not vote (though to some extent support and certainly not oppose) for him are proved legitimate (in particular if he doesn't work to make deals with the Democrats on replacing Obamacare and coming to a better trade deal with other countries), then I'll gladly vote for most Democrats the next time around. I do sort of like Trump though, and I am encouraged by how he's already started to negotiate with companies and got the corrupt, greedy Republicans in the house to stop their attempted gut of the OCE. Meanwhile, Obama has been a true disgrace as an outgoing president - not deferring to Trump at all, trying to make backroom deals to stall Trump's stated agenda, trying to implicitly undercut the president-elect to say that Putin is the reason Hillary Clinton committed felonies, told countless lies, and never once campaigned in states predisposed to liking her that she subsequently lost.

I would've voted for Bernie Sanders if I thought a Republican majority would be in place in the house/senate, as I think he's an honorable man and, though I disagree with most of his economic policy / free universal healthcare / a 15$ minimum wage / free college tuition, his position on trade and Citizens United I can absolutely get behind.

I'd like to see a Democrat be nominated next time around who is a bit of a more reserved Sanders - someone who is unabashedly for the working class regardless of skin tone (and who in fact does not attempt to drive up racial tensions as the media has been trying to do for months to drive up turnout among minorities), who cares first and foremost about America's interests and not the rest of the world's (Obama gave away the rights to the internet recently...), and who is liberal on social issues without claiming that a human child has no right to life. In other words, I would totally vote for Bill Clinton circa 1992 in 2020 if he were on the ballot.

I hope the Democratic party brings itself back, because the Republican party has so many policy positions that I disagree with but that I can at least discuss openly and honestly in a Republican-run country. The trend towards identity politics and constantly being offended in the Democratic party is the biggest turnoff, as I really haven't met many Democrats lately who are even willing to honestly discuss the very serious flaws I have with their party's positions. In the meantime, Trump has forced Republicans to at least token adopt two issues that I support (protectionist trade and getting rid of lobbyism / the Washington D.C. political circlejerk), though I'm encouraged that Democrats seem to also be embracing similar positions on those issues.

In other words, there's lots of ways I would vote Democratic, but the party itself has to do a lot of work for me to support it again, even if my policy positions are perhaps a bit closer to theirs on the whole than the Republicans'.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 04:58:27 AM »
« Edited: January 08, 2017, 10:05:00 AM by Shadows »

I doubt I will vote for any Democrat other than Sanders

Why are you a Trump/Bernie voter?
If Trump nominates the wrong judges or does something insane when it comes to foreign policy, I could see myself voting Green or Constitution. But I don't think I can support any Democrat at this point.

@ Maggie Hassan Fan - How can you switch between 2 extremes in the Constitution party n the greens without trying Dems?
Medal506
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 12:27:12 PM »

If the Democrats nominate Sherrod Brown. That's the only democrat I can vote for
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 12:42:44 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Gabagool102
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 01:49:09 PM »

If he fails on his promises and Joe Lieberman runs as a Dem in 2020.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 01:56:07 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2017, 01:57:41 PM by Special Boy »

Obviously we think Clinton was saying what she saw and they didn't believe her.
I guess it comes down to either 1) people not ready for another Democrat or 2) nominating a Democrat that has the social skills to be credible.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies