Boston Globe: Southern Democrats, meet your future: No more Republican Lite (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 11:19:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Boston Globe: Southern Democrats, meet your future: No more Republican Lite (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Boston Globe: Southern Democrats, meet your future: No more Republican Lite  (Read 5919 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« on: July 24, 2014, 03:49:54 PM »

Don't underestimate South Carolina's potential in the future. There's an argument to be made that it could be flipped sooner and easier than Texas.

And wow, what time period is that map for? You go, Nashville.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 08:58:30 PM »

You know, not everyone making these Southern states grow is a "White liberal."  There are plenty of retiring wealthy Republicans from all over the country moving South.

That's true. I was born in Northern Florida and went back a couple of times.

There's a lot of 300 years old white retirees moving there. They were there when the Declaration of Independence was signed and know exactly how out founding fathers wanted this country to be run.

MS is the only southern state besides NC, VA, and GA which could plausibly flip.

You don't think South Carolina could flip easier? Sure Mississippi is 37% black, but whites vote 9-1 for republicans, whereas in South Carolina they vote 3-1 for republicans. Its also a fast growing state (unlike MS), especially on the coast, with the potential of more liberal whites immigrating into the state.

There are also a lot of white Yankee Republicans moving to Georgia; it's not a matter of whether they are or not, but rather a matter of which one constitutes a higher percentage. A good part of the reason that NE GA has swung so incredibly Republican in recent elections is due to carpetbagging tax evaders. Overall, though, they are a fairly small percentage of growth in my state.

Mississippi in my opinion could flip - in about 20 or 30 years. There's just not a lot of change going on there. South Carolina is growing more rapidly and while yes, I'm not sure if that growth is strong enough in our direction to make a positive impact, South Carolina in the past 5 presidential elections has never been more than 2 points behind Georgia. We may see a separation of sorts as GA continues to diversify, but eyeing GA without even glancing at SC seems strange to me. Hell, look at the 2010 gubernatorial race and compare that to GA, to get an idea of what I mean.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies