Anybody got a quick list for me (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 05:37:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Anybody got a quick list for me (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anybody got a quick list for me  (Read 2846 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: February 05, 2011, 03:14:04 PM »

of states whose State Senate Districts are composed entirely of whole State House Districts?

Many thanks in advance!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 02:56:42 AM »

Thanks Jim, that's the list I need.

Yeah, SD's single member districts were created by a court in 2003 or '4. They also redrew some Senate districts, thus increasing the number of Native Opportunity seats from 1 & 2 (the Pine Ridge based constituency) to 2 & 4 (two of the four new single member districts, one entirely within Standing Rock/Cheyenne River, the other based on Rosebud; and the Senate district based on Standing Rock and Cheyenne River. IIRC.)

One special case is Wyoming - and perhaps elsewhere as well; that's one detail I might want to doublecheck for all other nesting states - though all Senate districts are composed of two House districts, the numbering schemes bear no relation and you need to know which House districts make which Senate district.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 03:46:03 AM »
« Edited: February 06, 2011, 09:32:07 AM by hard-core punk is also folk music »

Meh. Seems to be a lot of states where nesting is an option / the ideal rather than required, and they're listed as "yes" in that document.
Alabama has some Senate districts that perfectly include three House districts, but a lot of them don't, with no rhyme or reason apparent.
In Hawai'i, they seem to have been allocating seat numbers in both chambers to counties, and the result was 7/3 to Hawaii (no nesting), 6/3 to Maui (nesting), 3/1 to Kauai (nesting. Of a sort. It's in flat contradiction to the "16% at very extreme maximum" language in the document you linked to, btw. That Senate district is 20% oversized, the House districts are 18% undersized on average.) and 35/18 to Oahu (no nesting).
Maryland is also weird - there's three house members for every Senator, but some Senate seats function as a three-member seat for the House, while others are subdivided either into three single-member seats or a single and a double. In a couple of cases this is done to create additional minority-majority House seats, but elsewhere it's just because the Senate district includes disparate areas and splits reasonably well. Most of the large rural Senate districts are subdivided. At least the numbering scheme flags these districts at first glance.
Ohio is of the Wyoming school.
South Dakota - basically as I remembered, except for the descriptions of what rezzes go into what. Undecided It should read
They also redrew three Senate districts, thus increasing the number of Native Opportunity seats from 1 & 2 (a Pine Ridge & Rosebud constituency packed with Dakotas) to 1 & 4 (two of the four new single member districts, one entirely within Standing Rock/Cheyenne River, the other based on Rosebud; and the redrawn, now less packed Senate district based on Pine Ridge.)
And Wyoming. And that's the full list of oddities.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 02:26:22 PM »

Wyoming being an obvious exception.  Not sure if there are any others.
Ohio.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 02:59:18 PM »

Yes, Kevin, nesting was not a requirement in 2000 at all, but it may be now with the redistricting initiatives that have been passed - though with VRA strings attached in the text of the initiative itself.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 04:01:12 AM »
« Edited: February 09, 2011, 04:04:39 AM by HCPIAFM »

No Eskimos in HD6. What you're doing is combining Athapascans with Tlingit.

Oh, also "Inuit" is not the "correct" PC term to use for Alaska Eskimos. They're "Aleut" on the South Coast (even though they really aren't Aleuts) where they object to the older term "Pacific Eskimo", Yup'ik on the west coast and Inupiat on the north coast - Inuit don't begin until a little east of the Alaskan-Canadian border. Eskimo is not really considered inappropriate by Yup'ik and Inupiat, either (unlike in Canada, where it's gone decidely non-PC.) Mind you, Yup'ik are almost 3/4 of Alaskan Eskimos (and I'm including the south coast ones.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies