Can a sitting senator run for the other seat? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:42:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Can a sitting senator run for the other seat? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can a sitting senator run for the other seat?  (Read 1991 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« on: April 29, 2020, 01:34:55 PM »
« edited: April 29, 2020, 06:00:32 PM by Miliband: The Art of the Comeback »

Kent Conrad decided not to run for reelection from his original Senate seat in 1992, changed his mind, ran in a conveniently-timed special election for North Dakota's other seat, and won, with no interruption in his service and I believe even retaining his seniority. He then held that seat until retiring in 2012.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 05:55:37 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2020, 06:17:30 PM by Miliband: The Art of the Comeback »

Might be interesting to compile a list of people who've held both Senate seats from a state. In addition to McSally John Kyl also did. Any other examples aside from the aforementioned Kent Conrad?

Barry Goldwater. He retired from Arizona's Class I seat after two terms for his presidential run in 1964, then four years later he was elected to the Class III seat to replace the retiring Carl Hayden and held it for three more terms.

David I. Walsh in the early twentieth century too. He lost reelection after one term in Massachusetts's Class II seat in 1924 only to win the Class I seat via special election two years later. He then held that seat for twenty more years before getting blanched in the 1946 midterms--by another former Class II seat Senator, Henry Cabot Lodge Jr., who'd resigned three years prior to fight in World War II.

I imagine this was also at least an occasional occurrence pre-Seventeenth Amendment when state governments could rotate Senators in and out more or less at will according to the state's domestic political contingencies.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 04:46:15 PM »

fwiw I'm surpised it hasn't been done as a suicide/last ditch move; I'm sure there's a scenario where two sitting senators hate each other enough or hate the person getting the seat.

If you're planning on not running for re-election it might even make sense as losing would have no impact...

Have we had this much hatred between two senators from the same state since Wayne Morse and Richard Neuberger?

It wouldn't surprise me if Ron Johnson and Tammy Baldwin loathed each other. I don't know if they do, but if I read that they did, I'd be like "yeah, that checks out".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies