See? Us Mexicans care for you! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:45:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  See? Us Mexicans care for you! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: See? Us Mexicans care for you!  (Read 4118 times)
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« on: September 24, 2005, 10:18:43 PM »

I think it hardly matters whether the U.S. had a "legitimate claim" or not; the point is, I think, a very obscure and trivial one. In foreign policy, "legitimacy" is not particularly relevant.

Did the colonists have a legitimate claim to the land of the Native Americans? Of course not. But that should not make any difference. The same argument applies to the conquest of Texas.
By taking this stance you open Pandoras box, making any war of aggresion legitimate. Legitimacy has played a major role throughout history. You just don't go conquering like a mad man, but laying claim to a territory fx to christian the savages where quite legitimate - that was the one use towards the Amerindians, who were neither Christian nor civilized. The Mexican republic were both
Thank you, My Danish friend.
Also. LEGITIMATELY that territory is Mexican. and if this were to be put before the International courts, i think They'd be in favor of giving that land back to Mexico. I mean, WHAT happened to Hong Kong after the English gave it back to the Chinese? NOTHING!
Nothing would happen if the US gives that land back to Mexico.
*goes and buys guns*
Oh no, nothing at all... Grin
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 10:28:25 PM »

I think it hardly matters whether the U.S. had a "legitimate claim" or not; the point is, I think, a very obscure and trivial one. In foreign policy, "legitimacy" is not particularly relevant.

Did the colonists have a legitimate claim to the land of the Native Americans? Of course not. But that should not make any difference. The same argument applies to the conquest of Texas.
By taking this stance you open Pandoras box, making any war of aggresion legitimate. Legitimacy has played a major role throughout history. You just don't go conquering like a mad man, but laying claim to a territory fx to christian the savages where quite legitimate - that was the one use towards the Amerindians, who were neither Christian nor civilized. The Mexican republic were both
Thank you, My Danish friend.
Also. LEGITIMATELY that territory is Mexican. and if this were to be put before the International courts, i think They'd be in favor of giving that land back to Mexico. I mean, WHAT happened to Hong Kong after the English gave it back to the Chinese? NOTHING!
Nothing would happen if the US gives that land back to Mexico.
*goes and buys guns*
Oh no, nothing at all... Grin
No it wouldn't. Besides, Anyone who does not like to live in Mexico might just as well leave. IMO it would become Mexico's Quebec, w/ English as the 2nd official language. Not to Mention once we own California, We're gonna get their economy, and MORE Asian babes.

You'd lose a plebiscite if it was held. Except maybe in parts of Los Angeles...
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 02:01:27 PM »

I believe we actually purchased the land after we won the Mexican-American War. That's just how nice we are. Wink
Only the southern parts of New Mexico and Arizona (1853). The majority was aquired in the peace treaty after the war (1846-1848)
Actually, we purchased the land in the peace treaty as well. Smiley We just got far better terms then. Wink
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies