Results in 2004 by Metro Area (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 04:14:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Results in 2004 by Metro Area (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Results in 2004 by Metro Area  (Read 13833 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: April 15, 2007, 06:13:49 PM »

Does anyone know the 2004 presidential results of any metro area(s)? I'm surprised I can't easily find this online, given that most metro areas contain whole counties. I have the 2000 results, so I'm also interested in comparing the swings from 2000-2004.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 10:05:46 PM »

This is more wrist-damaging than I expected.  But if you make me a list of metro areas you're interested in (or a criterion), I'll make you a table.
I'm planning on doing votes cast total and Bush votes for each year, unless you want a more detailed table.

Thanks, Alcon. I was just thinking of the 10-15 largest metro areas in the nation, and/or the major N.C. ones, whatever you're comfortable with.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 05:09:05 PM »

Kerry won the Raleigh/Durham metro with 52.4%.

I'm surprised about Memphis. I've always thought of it as a socially conservative region. Does the metro have a high black population?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 11:58:14 AM »

And Virginia Beach should be added as Republican, very Republican.

It's always surprised me why this area is reliably Republican, given its size and location. Or isn't there a high military population?

Minnesota is one of those few places in the country left where the suburbs vote more republican than the countryside. I am sure there are more examples but Minnesota is the most obvious one.

The only other states I can think of are Wisconsin, New Hampshire, and Oklahoma, though of course the latter is very Republican everywhere.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 02:36:29 PM »

And Virginia Beach should be added as Republican, very Republican.

It's always surprised me why this area is reliably Republican, given its size and location. Or isn't there a high military population?

Minnesota is one of those few places in the country left where the suburbs vote more republican than the countryside. I am sure there are more examples but Minnesota is the most obvious one.

The only other states I can think of are Wisconsin, New Hampshire, and Oklahoma, though of course the latter is very Republican everywhere.

One might consider Georgia, North and  South Carolina, Louisiana and Arizona as well, off the top of my head. And oh yes, definitely Mississippi (e.g. Rankin and DeSoto counties) and Indiana (the belt of counties around Marion County, which is co-extensive with the city of Indianapolis these days, after unigov went into effect).

Those Southern states are best explained by more blacks living in rural areas than in suburbia. Rural Arizona appears to have a high Native American and Hispanic population. I'm not sure why suburban Indianapolis is so Republican.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies