Puerto Rico statehood referendum 2020 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 04:51:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Puerto Rico statehood referendum 2020 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Puerto Rico statehood referendum 2020  (Read 4782 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« on: October 15, 2020, 12:08:41 PM »

I am still surprised that despite all the scandals this term, the pro-statehood PNP is still the overwhelming favourite to win the elections

I guess PR has polarized itself mostly/exclusively on statehood lines? (much like how Scotland for instance has polarized itself on independence and little else matters)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 09:17:52 AM »

I am still surprised that despite all the scandals this term, the pro-statehood PNP is still the overwhelming favourite to win the elections

I guess PR has polarized itself mostly/exclusively on statehood lines? (much like how Scotland for instance has polarized itself on independence and little else matters)

Ugh, don't get me started. If only the pro-remain factor wasn't split three ways, while the SNP routinely win elections based on a consolidated pro-independence vote...

If nothing else, this should hopefully put to bed the independence issue in PR for now. Will be interesting to see whether the two major US parties end up dominating in PR in the future, or they preserve their existing political structure.

I mean, if anything I am somewhat surprised there is no "right wing pro-independence party". I know the SNP has a history of being a rather centrist party but nowadays they seem as left wing as Labour?

Like comparing Scotland to Catalonia/Basque Country here; the latter 2 have plenty of competition on the pro-independence/nationalist side; generally between one very left wing party and a centre to centre-right party (although JxCat is essencially a Puigdemont cult now I guess)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 09:26:06 AM »

The issue with statehood really is that it is permanent. So there should be a huge consensus before actually pulling the trigger.

And I do not think a 51-49 style result is enough
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies