Should able-bodied, mentally capable adults who receive welfare be required to w (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 04:55:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should able-bodied, mentally capable adults who receive welfare be required to w (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which option
Yes

No

Yes, adults who receive government benefits should be required to work

Yes, and eliminate welfare all together as it is not authorized in the Constitution

No, "workfare" is a form of slave labor

No, but in order to receive benefits they should be looking for a job or enrolled in education and job training programs

No, but their benefits would expire after two years of unemployment

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Should able-bodied, mentally capable adults who receive welfare be required to w  (Read 4535 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: October 12, 2013, 06:45:30 AM »

I'd support make-work programs as an option alongside, education, training etc.
That's where I'm at.  Maybe in another 50 years we will be able to support a certain percentage of the population as pure lay-abouts, but I don't think we've reached that point yet.  There are easy jobs that can be done by the welfare class that would only require a few hours a week (like 8 ) from the large pool receiving aid.  We don't have robots that clean trash on the highway, they can do that.  Same with pot holes in the roads.  I understand some of them have children that would need to be watched, well that's another job that needs to be done, child care for the working poor or those on aid out cleaning the spray paint off the underpass.  Whatever dumb guy labor that needs to be done.  I'd guess some of them might even have useful skills that can be put to use.  Hell, maybe it could even lead to real jobs....nah, that's crazy talk.

Why shouldn't they be asked to give a little back?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 09:41:36 AM »

What staggeringly offensive self-satisfied drivel.

Maybe in another 50 years we will be able to support a certain percentage of the population as pure lay-abouts

Oh, so we're aiming for full-employment, now, are we?
nope, but good job making up things!
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Something I'm guessing you know a lot about.

Ah, yes, those jobs already taken up by state workers - I suppose they'll be out of a job too, and treat like scum to your sort as well. [/quote]Is anybodies job "cleaning up the highway"?  I assumed it was all done by people on "community service".  And the guy whose job it is to fix the pot holes is WAY behind and could clearly use any help they can get.  I suppose we could just hire some of the people on public assistance if that makes you happy (it won't).

'Might even' - how generous. They all do, but are stuck in an economy which doesn't utilise them.  [/quote]Really?  Everybody has a useful skill?  Really?  I can't believe how stupid (insert whatever label you call yourself here...I know how you are your ilk are with labels) are.

Yeah, or it might lead to less jobs around because companies and the state can rely on a reserve army of unemployed to do it without having to pay them. That's certainly what I found in my job - the store was critically understaffed, but could rely on a revolving door of unemployed (up to three at any given week, doing full-time work for two months) to fill the gap. The success rate of said workfare programme? 4%. [/quote]k.....

Well, how about:
1) most have been paying taxes for social insurances for this very occasion, so they have already been 'giving back'[/quote]cite?
If you can show me where I said "make them work for free" that be great....impossible, but great.

Look, we get it.  You're a bitter asshole that doesn't understand your political opponents.  It's ok really.  It's a common disease.

Now I believe it's your turn to feel superior and be mean for no reason! Wink
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 12:12:52 PM »

nope, but good job making up things!

Well exactly. You promote an economic system that doesn't guarantee work for willing people, and one that's prone to crisis and mass unemployment, and then sit there and blame them for their situation, and/or being feckless/stupid/scum.
No, that's how you assume I think of them.  I've actually been poor before.  I know poor people.  I suppose it makes you feel better if you think that's how I feel, but it's not the truth.

Having to constantly argue against it, sure. Most people aren't so deluded as you and have had to face bouts of unemployment (many including workfare).[/quote]I've never been unemployed, but my wife was for several years.  Thankfully she's recently acquired employment again.  Again, your assumptions about me are wrong.  A pattern.

Presumably, unless America's already replaced all state workers posts with free labour, and in doing so rendered them unemployed earlier. I somehow doubt its a shortage of labour stopping roadworks, as well. But surely, if they're going to be working, then they should be paid a worker's wage?[/quote]Of course, again wrong.

Of course everybody has a useful skill,[/quote]Perhaps your definition of "useful skill" is different than every other person on the planet.  Why would they need retraining if they have a useful skill.  Maybe you don't know what "useful" means?
and I have no problem with that, especially in a time of need.
Roll Eyes

So replacing actual paid jobs with an army of workfare recieves a consequent employment success rate that's lower than before it was brought in. [/quote]I have no idea what you're going on about here.

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/03/average-length-of-unemployment-at-all-time-high/?_r=0[/quote]Goalpost moved.  Your cite doesn't say "most have been paying taxes for social insurances for this very occasion".  And there are more forms of help than just unemployment benefits (which I don't have a problem with anyway...hell, I don't have a problem with ANY form of benefit.  My issue is with the people that spend their entire lives getting assistance without ever trying to get off.  But I'll concede the point as I'm sure that makes up less than 50% of those receiving help.

They'd be recieving the exact same unemployment entitlements as ever but now expected to work for free.[/quote]Or you could word that "They'd be recieving the exact same unemployment entitlements as ever but now expected to work for a very small amount for them."

Any mean spiritedness on my part is in retaliation and therefore with reason. Wink
[/quote]I don't think "retaliation" means what you think it means.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 06:22:37 AM »

However, I don't think it's theoretically possible for everyone to get a job, and even then there are too many people who have too many barriers to employment.
Which is why the title of the OP is "Should able-bodied, mentally capable adults who receive welfare be required to work?" and not "Should adults who receive welfare be required to work?"
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies