Most lucrative college degrees
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 07:07:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Most lucrative college degrees
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Most lucrative college degrees  (Read 5698 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2006, 07:44:32 PM »

No, it can't. Secular science has shown that it doesn't, that happiness is the result of other things. You just don't accept science when it doesn't fit into your belief scheme, so as I said go join the Religious Party or STFU.

I actually saw an interesting study on a subject like this that was very interesting.  What they did is they distributed $1 bills to a whole bunch of people on the campus.  Half of these $1 bills were accompanied by a note explaining exactly what this was about: that the $1 bills were distributed through a study intended to gauge people's happiness upon receiving them.  The other half were accompanied by very cryptic messages that would not at all explain where the $1 bill came from or who left it there.  What they found is that the people in the latter group were a lot more happier upon receiving the $1 bill than the people in the former group.

Though the study stated that more research was obviously needed, it theorized that what makes humans happy is not material possessions, money, or the like, but rather, more non-physical things such as intrigue, unsolved mysteries, or discovery as a result of persistence.

I have a feeling that opebo considers himself "happy" merely because he doesn't really know what real happiness is about.  I certainly would not be happy were I in his position; I am quite happy in my current position, however.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2006, 07:47:32 PM »

No, it can't. Secular science has shown that it doesn't, that happiness is the result of other things. You just don't accept science when it doesn't fit into your belief scheme, so as I said go join the Religious Party or STFU.

I actually saw an interesting study on a subject like this that was very interesting.  What they did is they distributed $1 bills to a whole bunch of people on the campus.  Half of these $1 bills were accompanied by a note explaining exactly what this was about: that the $1 bills were distributed through a study intended to gauge people's happiness upon receiving them.  The other half were accompanied by very cryptic messages that would not at all explain where the $1 bill came from or who left it there.  What they found is that the people in the latter group were a lot more happier upon receiving the $1 bill than the people in the former group.

Though the study stated that more research was obviously needed, it theorized that what makes humans happy is not material possessions, money, or the like, but rather, more non-physical things such as intrigue, unsolved mysteries, or discovery as a result of persistence.

I have a feeling that opebo considers himself "happy" merely because he doesn't really know what real happiness is about.  I certainly would not be happy were I in his position; I am quite happy in my current position, however.

I'm quite happy in my current position, Gabu, and you are too stupid to realize you are miserable.  See - I can do it too.

Anyway, what money buys is freedom, Gabu!  I absolutely hate material possessions - I consider them annoying and a burden.  However I love having money to travel and to avoid the bondage of work.  Give me $30-40K per year and I won't own anything other than a couple of bags of clothes, but I'll have a wonderful time.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2006, 09:30:51 AM »

I know people who sound to be in similar situations to the ones you describe who are happy and not at all suicidal. Your friends have other problems.

So you are saying it is impossible to mind poverty?  One cannot possibly be bothered by it, get tired of it, etc?  Interesting.

No, that's not what I said. My experience shows me that most people can be happy and not at all suicidal in such situations. Your friends' problems go deeper than their mere financial troubles - their situation(which based on your description, while not preferable, isn't horrible IMHO) is possibly a trigger for those deeper problems to arise, but I doubt the problems would simply go away if they got a bigger paycheck.

Most people who commit suicide have some sort of mental or emotional disorder, such as clinical depression or bi-polar disorder. Chemical imbalances and whatnot. Roughly 90% of all people who commit suicide have one or more psychiatric disorders. People with healthy brain chemistry do not normally think about suicide, even in bad circumstances.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No, my point is that you have no clue what real poverty is. Your friends aren't in poverty, nor are they poor. Do they have to watch how they spend their money? Sure, but most people do. That doesn't mean those people are in poverty though. Your friends have sufficient food, clothing, and shelter - that can't be considered poverty. When they're homeless and starving, we'll talk poverty.

And if they're in such dire need, as the philanthropist you are you should go ahead and redistribute some of your money. Either that or you could stop acting like you give a damn.

Of course you would, but when I tell you about my experience it's invalid. Roll Eyes Learn some consistency - experience is or isn't important, so which is it?

You might be an exception. For most people money isn't what brings happiness - science shows it to be true. Go join the religious party if you want to reject science.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2006, 07:07:21 PM »

They didn't put actuaries in.  Quite obvious why... It would trump the rest of them.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2006, 07:17:32 PM »

My experience shows me that most people can be happy and not at all suicidal in such situations. Your friends' problems go deeper than their mere financial troubles - their situation(which based on your description, while not preferable, isn't horrible IMHO) is possibly a trigger for those deeper problems to arise, but I doubt the problems would simply go away if they got a bigger paycheck.

NO doubt! If they still had to work I'm sure they'd still be miserable.  But if they were to, for example, inherit an adequate income, they would no longer have any miseries at all, other than the usual avoidance of the police state strictures in spending their funds.

I'm sure those 'disorders' are caused by poverty, Dibble.  In any case, what kind of person is so dumb that they are unaware of the option of suicide?  I beleive any thinking person would realize it is one of their options, and quite often a very good one.

No, I said that their financial situation was on which caused them misery, and caused them to consider suicide.  One need not be homeless and starving to dislike a meager existence!  For example they must work some 50 weeks of the year!  And they cannot afford to spend a large portion of the year outside the Bad Place.

I'm not a philanthropist, Dibble.  I would never give anyone 'my' money.   However I would advocate that the State redistribute money from one class to the other.  Individual acts are meaningless.

The sort of 'science' you like to chat about is just propaganda.  Of course the right wing would like poors to believe that money (aka power) doesn't make one happy.  What laughable rot!  But if the poor saps will believe it, I suppose it helps keep them in their place.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies