Why can't Kerry say this?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 12:14:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Why can't Kerry say this?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why can't Kerry say this?  (Read 1747 times)
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 11, 2004, 05:41:50 PM »

Nader: Social Ills Deadlier Than Terror

Why can't Kerry get is priorities straight and hit Bush on this issue?  Terrorism just shouldn't be that big an issue compared to our nation's other problems!
Makes me want to vote for Nader...although he's not on my ballot.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 05:45:40 PM »

i think most of the public has already concluded (correctly) that kerry and lil' johnny have their heads buried in the sand  on the terrorism issue.  if kerry came out with some of that liberal silliness that nader is talking aobut, it would only make him even more of a caricature.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 05:48:48 PM »

Edwards is actually much better than Kerry on this front...he talks about other (non-terrorism) issues much more proportionately and is probably the only reason I'm still on board with this ticket.
mddem2004

Political Matrix
E: -6.38, S: -4.00

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 05:50:30 PM »

I'm with you Gov Nick,
Kerry needs to fire ALL of these damn DLC advisors he's got and talk about what the average Joe needs in this world:
Affordable Health Care......
A job that pays a decent wage........
Secure in the knowledge that his/her kids will be better off than they some day.......

Terrorism IS important.
Yet to many (most?) its not THE most important issue directly concerning them.

Only Kerry can turn this around and talk to the NEEDS of the people, the concerns that they face everyday. Terrorism is far too much in the abstract for people to get their minds around........
Shira

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2004, 05:55:43 PM »

Why can't Kerry get is priorities straight and hit Bush on this issue?  Terrorism just shouldn't be that big an issue compared to our nation's other problems!

Because he was afraid. Now it's too late. The american voters are already brain washed and indoctrinated about the terror. We are going to have Cheney/Bush for more four years.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2004, 06:01:37 PM »

THe Kerry campaign is such a mess right now it isn't funny.

The top of the ticket is the attack dog while Edwards is the more positive candidate.

They are never off message.  Mainly because the message changes daily so they have no message to be on.

They have nothing behind their proposals.  They say they will do a lot, but have few details of how.

They are focusing on fewer and fewer states making it harder for them to win.  They need to win nearly 100% of their target states to win the election.

I keep expecting Kerry to turn things around, at least in terms of focus and energy.  Maybe next week.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2004, 06:39:48 PM »

Edwards should be the Democratic Presidential Candidate, not Kerry.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2004, 07:06:05 PM »

Edwards is actually much better than Kerry on this front...he talks about other (non-terrorism) issues much more proportionately and is probably the only reason I'm still on board with this ticket.

At the debate in Michigan, it was Edwards, not Kerry, who said that he would consider himself a war-time President.  Even when pressed, Kerry would not say that he would consider himself one.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2004, 08:52:53 PM »

Because he was afraid. Now it's too late. The american voters are already brain washed and indoctrinated about the terror. We are going to have Cheney/Bush for more four years.

Shira -- I hate to break it to you, but most Americans think that la la land philosophy is a joke.

If Kerry ran of that, he'd lose in a landslide. Even New York would be in play.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2004, 09:00:39 PM »

I'm with you Gov Nick,
Kerry needs to fire ALL of these damn DLC advisors he's got and talk about what the average Joe needs in this world:
Affordable Health Care......
A job that pays a decent wage........
Secure in the knowledge that his/her kids will be better off than they some day.......

Terrorism IS important.
Yet to many (most?) its not THE most important issue directly concerning them.

Only Kerry can turn this around and talk to the NEEDS of the people, the concerns that they face everyday. Terrorism is far too much in the abstract for people to get their minds around........

Thank You.  If Kerry brings up these issues, it would be a slam dunk for him.  He should stop going on his Vietnam record and briefly mention terrorism.  Bush can not beat Kerry there and it's been proven.    
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2004, 09:25:31 PM »

--PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE, October--
Bush: We have a calling from beyond the stars to save and protect liberty for this world, before future generations are trapped in a war for America's survival.
Kerry: That's stupid. We need free health care.

--FOX NEWS, Nov. 2--
BRIT HUME: Well, it's election day, and we all know what questions on our minds. Washington, DC's looking pretty competitive. Let's go to our panel for expert analysis.
FRED BARNS: It doesn't matter...Bush is up by 80 points in the polls! What difference do three electoral votes make?!
BRIT HUME: Yep, it's going to be one close election alright. Be sure to stay tuned to Fox to get the results the minute their released. We'll be right back after these messages.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2004, 09:44:48 PM »

--PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE, October--
Bush: We have a calling from beyond the stars to save and protect liberty for this world, before future generations are trapped in a war for America's survival.
Kerry: That's stupid. We need free health care.

--FOX NEWS, Nov. 2--
BRIT HUME: Well, it's election day, and we all know what questions on our minds. Washington, DC's looking pretty competitive. Let's go to our panel for expert analysis.
FRED BARNS: It doesn't matter...Bush is up by 80 points in the polls! What difference do three electoral votes make?!
BRIT HUME: Yep, it's going to be one close election alright. Be sure to stay tuned to Fox to get the results the minute their released. We'll be right back after these messages.

Here's what Kerry really SHOULD say in the debate. I'm sure he doesn't have the guts...but this is what his message should be.

"Mr. President, I couldn't agree more. We need to be the defender of liberty and freedom everywhere in the world. The key, however, is everywhere. Will you agree with me tonight, that if elected, you will pledge to defend freedom and liberty everywhere on Earth? Will you agree to try to work towards a democracy in Saudi Arabia? Will you agree to work towards a democracy in the Sudan? Do you agree to work towards a democracy in China? Mr. President, do you agree that for humanitarian reasons, we need to start supporting democracy in every country in the world, and oppose dictatorship?

As President, I will support democracy everywhere, and I will fight until my last breathe to rid this world of dictatorship and tyrranny. That's why I supported this war in Iraq; because I sincerely believed in that principle, and I still do. Mr. President, I call on you tonight to join me in freeing the world from the oppression of tyrrany. Let's end our dependence on Saudi oil. Let's raise the CAFE standards so that we can free ourselves of the chains of oppression that are tying us to those horrible dictators. Let's stand up against genocide in the Sudan. Let's stop strengthening the economy of communist China, and instead keep jobs here. Let's reward the hard working people of this country, rather than rewarding a communist regime by sending our jobs overseas.

Mr. President, we need a foreign policy that truly supports all democracies, and opposes dictators. That is what I pledge to pursue as President. We are a country of great wealth, and we have a unique opportunity to rid the world of the evil bonds of tyrrany, poverty, hunger, oppression, crime, hopelessness, and despair. Instead of dividing us, we need to come together to use America's wealth and prosperity to truly make the world a better place. Charity begins at home, Mr. President. We need to improve the lives of all citizens, both at home AND abroad. We have the resources, the capability, the willingness, the passion, the spirit, and the opportunity. Let us seize this moment, Mr. President, and truly bring the American dream of equal opportunity for all to succeed and the liberty to live one's life as one chooses to all people of the world."

That would be one kick-a** speech, and Bush would be left with no response.

Will Kerry do it? Doubtful. He doesn't have the guts to stand up for what's right.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2004, 10:17:48 PM »

What, in particular, are you purposing? A crusade to take down every dictatorship in the world?

These United States have always been a Republic. Not an Empire. Sorry for the cheap response, but I don't see what you're getting at.

You say he doesn't have the guts to stand up for, what I assume you're saying, he thinks is right. What makes you think Kerry supports liberty and freedom more than Bush?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2004, 10:32:09 PM »

What, in particular, are you purposing? A crusade to take down every dictatorship in the world?

These United States have always been a Republic. Not an Empire. Sorry for the cheap response, but I don't see what you're getting at.

You say he doesn't have the guts to stand up for, what I assume you're saying, he thinks is right. What makes you think Kerry supports liberty and freedom more than Bush?

Well, if we really want to rid the world of terrorism, then yes, that is what we have to do. I'm not saying that we should militarily go in and invade every country right now, but that should be our long term goal. We can start by eliminating economic independence on these countries...by cutting back trade with China so that we stop supporting communist oppression, and cutting back on oil imports by raising the fuel economy of vehicles here and increasing research for alternative energy, so that we aren't tied to the Middle East dictators anymore.

I'm saying what Kerry SHOULD say. I don't know if he really truly believes in that or not, as I can't read his mind...I certainly believe that he does much more than Bush...but Kerry may not have the guts to be that bold, to show that large of a vision.

That's my main point, Kerry has to be bold and have a grand vision for America. He needs to show that he cares about the real issues in this election, that he's strong and decisive enough to have a clear plan, and is above all of these little issues that are largely irrelevant to the bigger questions.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2004, 12:43:50 AM »

The Nader campaign inspires you? His main issue seems to be ballot status. "How can I get on the most state's ballots, so as to hurt Kerry the most?"
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2004, 12:00:10 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2004, 12:03:21 PM by Durham Dave »

You make a very good point Nick. Terrorism from the likes of al-Qaeda is as much a threat to the UK but I don't it will dominate the next general election. We've never had an atrocity on par with 9/11 but it could happen.

I can understand security issues being at the centre of politics in places such as Israel.

Dave
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2004, 12:01:00 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2004, 12:03:50 PM by Durham Dave »

Edwards should be the Democratic Presidential Candidate, not Kerry.

He's the guy I would have voted for in the primaries.

Dave
dougrhess

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2004, 02:14:50 PM »

Plenty of time. Three debates and VP debate and what not. Plus massive noncandidate media work will be done.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies