Al Franken accused of sexual harassment (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:05:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Al Franken accused of sexual harassment (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Al Franken accused of sexual harassment  (Read 28387 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« on: November 16, 2017, 01:07:25 PM »

You know, I don't want to be the one saying this, but I'm really uncomfortable with the idea of somebody resigning before thing is even properly investigated. OK, there's some strong evidence here, but it's still a matter of principle. Being accused is not (and should not) the same as being convicted.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 06:03:33 PM »

Anyone wanna tell me how to change my Username RIP

lmbo!

PM Dave Leip. He can change it for you. No guarantee when he'll respond, although he has been relatively active the past week.

Maybe an email instead of forum PM would have greater chances of being noticed?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 06:15:03 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2017, 06:16:41 PM by Come grasp the mighty avatar of our admin »

I have a hard time agreeing that somebody should be disqualified for the rest of her of his life due to an inappropriate attempt at "joke". Censured? Criticized? Yes. But let's be honest here, 90% of the population would be disqualified under such strict standards (and I'm not talking just about sexual context).

Now, crossing certain barriers is thoroughly a diffrent matter. Still, I can't endorse somebody having to resign as soon as the accusation is being raised. And it's not whether we believe the accuser or not (and, in the vast majority of such cases, accusations are indeed turning out to be true). It's about upholding "innocent until proven guilty" principle. And if we want to apply this principle to other cases, then we can't make an exception here. And this applies to Roy F-king Moore too, or at least applied until the whole dome broke.

All I can say it doesn't look good for Franken and I won't shed any tears for him if he'll have to step down in disgrace after all.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 05:52:38 AM »
« Edited: November 17, 2017, 06:10:51 AM by Come grasp the mighty avatar of our admin »

I have a hard time agreeing that somebody should be disqualified for the rest of her of his life due to an inappropriate attempt at "joke". Censured? Criticized? Yes. But let's be honest here, 90% of the population would be disqualified under such strict standards (and I'm not talking just about sexual context).

I totally agree with this, especially the underlined part.

Sexual assault is never merely just an attempt at a joke. We are not exactly overwhelmed with seats in Congress that need filling. There are 325 million Americans, and 535 congresscritters. We can be a little picky.

Also the point publicunofficial made above. I don't think Franken should be cast out of society, have his memory damned, or anything like that. There's plenty he can do, even plenty of very good work for very good causes,

My main point is I don't think it's right to have somebody forced out of office based on a sole accusation. Yes, it's not the court of law, but we still should adhere to the principle of presumption of innocence until proven guilty. It's a bigger issue than Al Franken. I'll repeat: it's not about whether we should believe the accuser or not, and in most cases the accuser is proven correct in the end. But let it run a proper course.

The truth is like a thin ice. Let's it hold or break on its own. It's likely Franken may soon found himself in a cold water with Roy Moore and if so, screw him, good riddance, we learned a valuable lesson.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies