1884 Conventions (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 06:29:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  1884 Conventions (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: An open field.
Union Convention: Vice President Arthur Sewall of Maine

Union Convention: Governor Grover Cleveland of New York

Union Convention: Senator James Blaine of Maine

Union Convention: Senator Frederick Frelinghuysen of New Jersey

Union Convention: Representative Henry F. Adams of Massachusetts

Whig Convention: Governor Benjamin Harrison of Indiana

Whig Convention: Representative James Weaver of Iowa

Whig Convention: Senator Joseph E. Brown of Georgia

Whig Convention: Senator Newton Booth of California

Whig Convention: Representative Samuel Randall of Pennsylvania

Whig Convention: Activist Walter M. Gibson of Nevada

Radical Convention: Activist Walter M. Gibson of Nevada

Radical Convention: Senator Joseph F. Smith of Illinois

Radical Convention: Speaker John Ingalls of Kansas

Radical Convention: Fmr. Governor Benjamin Butler of Massachusetts

Radical Convention: Governor Benjamin Harrison of Indiana

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: 1884 Conventions  (Read 2477 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: March 26, 2014, 06:30:17 PM »

Gibson/Weaver
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 05:33:38 AM »

This is the exact same way the past three conventions have looked.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 10:36:38 PM »

The Whigs have more votes than the Radicals, and I think James Weaver would be an acceptable candidate for the Radicals. How about Weaver/Smith?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 10:42:01 PM »

Harrison's tied with Smith. If he wins the Radical nomination, I suggest we all rally behind him and the VP of Zioneer's choice.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 02:13:07 PM »

I'd be up for whatever stops another Union president from being elected. It gets boring when those keep getting elected time and time again.

All right, then. Weaver/Smith if the Whigs get more votes and Smith/Weaver (or Harrison?) if the Radicals get more votes?

Also, I note that our parties are drifting closer and closer together in political views. Perhaps a merger is in order? The People's Party, perhaps?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 08:16:19 PM »

By the way, Dallas, what sort of overseas exploration would Smith support?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 10:56:37 AM »
« Edited: March 29, 2014, 10:58:37 AM by Alfred F. Jones »

By the way, Dallas, what sort of overseas exploration would Smith support?

Probably something to do with Hawaii; in OTL he went on a mission to Hawaii and was heavily interested in it.

I remember in Cath's original thing we went on a mission to find Atlantis. Would he be into that?

By the way, what Radical VP would you prefer if the Whigs get more votes (though as of now they are tied)? I'd support Weaver for VP if the Radicals get more votes. If they're tied after voting's over, I suppose we'd flip a coin or whatever.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 11:32:04 AM »

So who are this forum's party bosses? I can imagine Zioneer and Alfred being party bosses for the Radicals, but who else?

I used to be the Whig boss, but now I'm just a non-Union boss.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 02:39:38 PM »

So who are this forum's party bosses? I can imagine Zioneer and Alfred being party bosses for the Radicals, but who else?

I'm one of 5 or so people who actually vote for the Radicals pre-general election, so yeah, I'm probably the Radical boss.

As for the Radical VP for a Whig-Radical unity ticket, I'd prefer Smith, though I could go for Ingalls in a pinch.

You were a Radical before there were Radicals. You're unquestionably the boss.

And I don't think Smith and Weaver would get along well at all, so I think we should go with either Smith/Harrison or Weaver/Ingalls (though you obviously have final say over the latter), and it's looking like it'll be the former with Mecha's recent vote.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 07:21:34 PM »

I'm one of 5 or so people who actually vote for the Radicals pre-general election, so yeah, I'm probably the Radical boss.

As for the Radical VP for a Whig-Radical unity ticket, I'd prefer Smith, though I could go for Ingalls in a pinch.

And I don't think Smith and Weaver would get along well at all, so I think we should go with either Smith/Harrison or Weaver/Ingalls (though you obviously have final say over the latter), and it's looking like it'll be the former with Mecha's recent vote.

True, I'm a Manifester/Radical through and through. I'm the Bawsh.

Anyway, I'd prefer Smith/Harrison or Harrison/Smith, though I guess Harrison/Butler could work. If Harrison pledges to run and govern as a Radical (which will be helped by Ingalls being Speaker), then we might have a couple more choices...

EDIT: Oh, and in a formal merger of Whigs and Radicals, I'd prefer something with a bit more zing to it than the People's Party (though that is a good suggestion). Maybe a Laborer's Party.

Does the Progressive Labor Party sound good?

And I think that we should go with Smith/Harrison seeing as Smith won.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 09:39:09 PM »

Anyway, I'd prefer Smith/Harrison or Harrison/Smith, though I guess Harrison/Butler could work. If Harrison pledges to run and govern as a Radical (which will be helped by Ingalls being Speaker), then we might have a couple more choices...

EDIT: Oh, and in a formal merger of Whigs and Radicals, I'd prefer something with a bit more zing to it than the People's Party (though that is a good suggestion). Maybe a Laborer's Party.

Hmm... Progressive Labor sounds a bit like a British party rather than an American party, so probably not. What about a party name referencing railroads and exploration, as that seems to be popular in both parties?

And Smith/Harrison it is, if dallas is letting me flex my power as a party boss.

The Explorationist Party sounds stupid. How about the Greater America Party, or GAP?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 10:12:16 PM »

Hmm... Progressive Labor sounds a bit like a British party rather than an American party, so probably not. What about a party name referencing railroads and exploration, as that seems to be popular in both parties?

And Smith/Harrison it is, if dallas is letting me flex my power as a party boss.

The Explorationist Party sounds stupid. How about the Greater America Party, or GAP?

GAPists sound kind of dumb. Hmm... How about the Pioneer Party? Though I'd be up for just calling ourselves Populists if no better option comes up.

Meh, I'm not a fan of naming ourselves after current issues - the party will probably stick around for a while after the pioneers all die. I think the People's Party is the best route to take, although that's just my opinion.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 10:13:57 PM »

BTW, I support running Bryan/Debs or Bryan/Roosevelt in 1896 and 1900 (assuming, of course, Smith and Harrison serve two terms). It'd be every progressive's wet dream.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 10:43:11 PM »

BTW, I support running Bryan/Debs or Bryan/Roosevelt in 1896 and 1900 (assuming, of course, Smith and Harrison serve two terms). It'd be every progressive's wet dream.

Perhaps, but they won't be the only candidates...

Also, Populists/People's Party sounds good to me, if we can't decide on any other party name.

It shall be our fallback choice, though I do agree that we need something more interesting. The New Freedom Party? The Progressive Party? The Progressive People's Freedom Labor Party?  The New Nationalists (referencing both the National Party and TR's New Nationalism)?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 11:47:36 AM »

"People's Republic of America" sounds weird, and we did already have a Republican party that turned racist. Perhaps the People's Democrats? We've never had a Democratic party before.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2014, 12:30:18 PM »

"People's Republic of America" sounds weird, and we did already have a Republican party that turned racist. Perhaps the People's Democrats? We've never had a Democratic party before.

Isn't "People's Republic of America" what you guys are shooting for anyway? I think the name would add some badassery to your guys' side of the aisle at least (in a sort of subtle way, IMO). People's Democrats could work, though I fear if you isolated it only to the term "Democrats", we'd end up in 2016 with the exact same left-wing party we have today (albeit, a few more points off-center, but you get the idea).

True, true. Is Zioneer down with People's Republicans or should we go with People's Party? Or should we head off in a totally different direction? The Farmer-Labor Party, perhaps?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies