Canada Expels Indian diplomat after accusing India of killing their citizen on Canadian Soil
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 11:08:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada Expels Indian diplomat after accusing India of killing their citizen on Canadian Soil
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Canada Expels Indian diplomat after accusing India of killing their citizen on Canadian Soil  (Read 5576 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2023, 09:36:42 AM »

They didn't do it. But if they did it was a) very good, actually and b) an impressive sign of strength. I see.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2023, 09:39:29 AM »

They didn't do it. But if they did it was a) very good, actually and b) an impressive sign of strength. I see.

Well they need to give proof he way actually a terrorist first before I believe anyone should give judgments .

Anyway I along with most Republicans running for president believe we should use the CIA to go after Fentnyl dealers overseas and take them out if necessary .

EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2023, 10:00:16 AM »

The fact that the Indian opposition behind Modi on this one doesn't mean much. Can anybody tell me one reason why the INC, for example, might not necessarily be sympathetic to Sikh nationalists?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2023, 10:08:20 AM »

The main Indian media (pro- and anti- BJP) talking point are

a) Evasive on if the Indian government had any involvement in the killing or not
b) Complain that  Trudeau and the Canadian government are harboring and enabling Khalistan terrorists
c) Blast Trudeau for making this public without evidence without committing to an assertion that the Indian government had nothing to do with the killing
d) Inferring and hinting that if the Indian government was behind it then it is a good thing anyway since he had it coming
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2023, 10:25:20 AM »

a) Evasive on if the Indian government had any involvement in the killing or not
b) Complain that  Trudeau and the Canadian government are harboring and enabling Khalistan terrorists
c) Blast Trudeau for making this public without evidence without committing to an assertion that the Indian government had nothing to do with the killing
d) Inferring and hinting that if the Indian government was behind it then it is a good thing anyway since he had it coming
Sounds like the classic "we didn't do this but hypothetically if we did it was totally justified".
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2023, 10:29:55 AM »

Sounds like the classic "we didn't do this but hypothetically if we did it was totally justified".

Correct.  Just like the USA, collective West, and Ukraine on Nord Stream 2 sabotage.  It is pretty clear at this stage even if the Indian government was not directly behind this the killing was very likely indirectly or "inspired" by the desires of the Indian government (like by Hindu nationalist groups).  I guess there is a chance of it being an intra-Khalstine extremist gang killing but it seems to me if that were true the Canada government go through the motions they are going through right now.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2023, 10:30:08 AM »

Do you support the Mossad and do you think we should emulate the Mossad by taking out Fentnyl dealers overseas like DeSantis wants to do .

If this guy was actually a terrorist and there is evidence Canada was harboring terrorists then I don’t see how it’s any different than what the Mossad or what DeSantis wants to do and btw I support both . The thing is we haven’t seen the evidence yet which is why the US has stayed quiet on this as well other than the typical “this needs to be investigated throughly” statement .

Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2023, 10:32:19 AM »

Do you support the Mossad and do you think we should emulate the Mossad by taking out Fentnyl dealers overseas like DeSantis wants to do .

If this guy was actually a terrorist and there is evidence Canada was harboring terrorists then I don’t see how it’s any different than what the Mossad or what DeSantis wants to do and btw I support both . The thing is we haven’t seen the evidence yet which is why the US has stayed quiet on this as well other than the typical “this needs to be investigated throughly” statement .

Just because I support justified foreign assassinations by my country (which does not mean I support all foreign assassinations by my country) doesn't mean I support unjustified foreign assassinations by other countries.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2023, 10:45:49 AM »

b) Complain that  Trudeau and the Canadian government are harboring and enabling Khalistan terrorists

Just because I support justified foreign assassinations by my country (which does not mean I support all foreign assassinations by my country) doesn't mean I support unjustified foreign assassinations by other countries.

If he was actually a terrorist then how would it be unjustified and any different from what the Mossad does .

Anyway how can you trust Trudeau on this given he did nothing to stop Chinese interference into Canadian elections so that proves he cares more about his own political prospects then the interests of his nation
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2023, 11:55:11 AM »

b) Complain that  Trudeau and the Canadian government are harboring and enabling Khalistan terrorists

If he was actually a terrorist then how would it be unjustified and any different from what the Mossad does .

Anyway how can you trust Trudeau on this given he did nothing to stop Chinese interference into Canadian elections so that proves he cares more about his own political prospects then the interests of his nation
What evidence is there that he was actually a terrorist? Advocating for Khalistan does not make someone a terrorist.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2023, 11:57:41 AM »
« Edited: September 21, 2023, 04:20:32 PM by FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦 »

Ah yes, the Turkish response
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2023, 12:59:51 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2023, 01:04:37 PM by Old School Republican »

What evidence is there that he was actually a terrorist? Advocating for Khalistan does not make someone a terrorist.

I said we should wait for either side to release evidence before jumping to conclusions here . The fact the US and the UK are responding the way they are makes me think that he was one .

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/politics/who-was-hardeep-singh-nijjar-the-sikh-activist-whose-killing-has-divided-canada-and-india

In 2016, Indian media reported that Nijjar was suspected of masterminding a bombing in the Sikh-majority state of Punjab and training terrorists in a small city southeast of Vancouver. He denied the allegations.

In 2020, Indian authorities claimed Nijjar was a member of a banned militant group and designated him a terrorist. That year, they also filed a criminal case against him as farmers, many from Punjab, camped out on the edges of New Delhi to protest controversial agriculture laws. The Indian government initially tried to discredit the protests by associating them with Sikh separatists, filing a number of such cases against Sikh activists in India and abroad.

Last year, Indian authorities accused Nijjar of involvement in an alleged attack on a Hindu priest in India and announced a reward of about $16,000 for information leading to his arrest.

Republican Party Stalwart
Stalwart_Grantist
United States

« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2023, 01:15:41 PM »

The fact that the Indian opposition behind Modi on this one doesn't mean much. Can anybody tell me one reason why the INC, for example, might not necessarily be sympathetic to Sikh nationalists?

Did you mean to write "hostile" instead of "sympathetic," or were you being sarcastic? Because I can give you (and others on this thread already have given) plenty of reasons why the INC would be every bit as hostile and every bit as unsympathetic as the BJP is to Sikh nationalists.
Stalwart_Grantist
United States

« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2023, 01:30:09 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2023, 06:15:30 PM by Republican Party Stalwart »

The phenomenon of obnoxious "travel warnings" such as this, issued for ideological reasons completely unrelated to actual danger for tourists or immigrants, is probably the worst original aspect of 21st Century diplomacy. In 2016, (IIRC after the shooting of Philando Castile or somebody else) my mother's home country, the Bahamas, issued a "travel warning" about "dangerous police in the USA," and even though it was completely clear that the bureaucrats or politicians who wrote the warning and made the decision to issue it were woefully misinformed regarding the actual facts about real or imagined "police racism" in America, the popular American mainstream media reaction to the warning shamefully contributed to the toxic feedback loop that was (and is) discussion of the issue. ("Wow! Police in America are so obviously racist that the Bahamas had to issue a travel warning!" "The fact that a foreign country issued a travel warning is proof that American police are racist!")

Political assassinations on foreign soil happen, and this guy appears to be a pretty reckless fellow and hardly an angel, but I think people need to realize that if Trudeau and other Western nations don’t stop this kind of thing, entire diasporas will be intimidated by their state security services of their respective “home countries”...In China and India, foreign state “official cover” embassy staff are not given the leeway they have in Western countries, and these authoritarian states have naturally decided to exploit this in order to intimidate their diaspora for speaking out against them. Here in Brussels it's well known that the Morroccan diaspora is intimidated and ordered to go to specific Mosques, and the results are there to be seen, a total failure of integration into Belgian society.
Stalwart_Grantist
United States

« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2023, 01:47:16 PM »

You know that a Hindu nationalist like Modi would be perfectly willing to do this.

Khalistan militants are seen as terrorists (and rightfully so, probably) by all sides of mainstream Indian politics. If anything, a Congress PM would be more "willing to do this" than a "Hindu nationalist like Modi," considering that it's only the INC, not the BJP, who have had one of their Prime Ministers assassinated in the name of Khalistan.
Stalwart_Grantist
United States

« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2023, 01:52:13 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2023, 02:35:27 PM by Republican Party Stalwart »

Justin Trudeau has publicly acknowledged that the Canadian state is currently committing genocide.

Forgive me for going off topic, but when Trudeau said that, was he talking about First Nations in Canada today, or was he talking about Canadian support for the Saudi-led intervention in Yemen? Because in either case, Trudeau describing the Canadian state as "currently committing genocide" is demonstrably factually wrong.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2023, 02:11:09 PM »

Joking aside, but Jagmeet Singh should probably discreetly review his security arrangements. It sounds absurd, but Modi is about as drunk on power as Indira was and people like that are apt to do outrageous and stupid things.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2023, 02:16:45 PM »

You know that a Hindu nationalist like Modi would be perfectly willing to do this.

Khalistan militants are seen as terrorists (and rightfully so, probably) by all sides of mainstream Indian politics. If anything, a Congress PM would be more "willing to do this" than a "Hindu nationalist like Modi," considering that it's only the INC, not the BJP, who have had one of their Prime Ministers assassinated in the name of Khalistan.

Until the 2019-2021 Sikh led anti-farm reform law protests the BJP position has been fairly pro-Sikh in order to to beat over INC's head the INC led pogrom against Sikh in 1984 in the aftermath of Indira Gandhi assassination by her Sikh bodyguards. 
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2023, 02:25:54 PM »

Did you mean to write "hostile" instead of "sympathetic," or were you being sarcastic? Because I can give you (and others on this thread already have given) plenty of reasons why the INC would be every bit as hostile and every bit as unsympathetic as the BJP is to Sikh nationalists.

I was, of course, referring to the very obvious reason.
Stalwart_Grantist
United States

« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2023, 02:28:30 PM »

I was, of course, referring to the very obvious reason.

Thanks. I wasn't trolling when I asked you for clarification; I just literally have autism.
Stalwart_Grantist
United States

« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2023, 03:36:50 PM »

Until the 2019-2021 Sikh led anti-farm reform law protests the BJP position has been fairly pro-Sikh in order to to beat over INC's head the INC led pogrom against Sikh in 1984 in the aftermath of Indira Gandhi assassination by her Sikh bodyguards. 

My point exactly.
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2023, 06:41:23 PM »

Canada has provided no proof on this killing. No five eyes ally is willing to defend Canada and trudeau said in the house of commons not outside the commons where he can't be held libel. Dudes down 10-12 pts in the polls, he wants a distraction from the china inquiry, something doesnt add up.

As for nijjar? lets just say gods plan. This issue isn't partisan in india. Congress MP Singh Bittu a sikh himself said Canada needs to stop harbouring evil dooers and that nijjar was responsible for killing Mr. Singh Bittu's grandfather.

No Nijjar shouldn't have been shot, in an ideal world he'd be rotting away in Gitmo or in indian prison for the crimes hes commited. This was not a martyr that the media is making him out to b
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2023, 06:56:32 PM »

Look, you need to get your story straight if you're going to try to spin your way around something like this. Either it is implausible that the Indian state was involved and the very idea is a calumny, or it is a jolly good thing that it happened and isn't that wonderful. You cannot have it both ways.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2023, 07:01:25 PM »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sikh-nijjar-india-canada-trudeau-modi-1.6974607

Crucially:

The intelligence did not come solely from Canada. Some was provided by an unnamed ally in the Five Eyes intelligence alliance.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2023, 07:01:50 PM »

Canada has provided no proof on this killing. No five eyes ally is willing to defend Canada and trudeau said in the house of commons not outside the commons where he can't be held libel. Dudes down 10-12 pts in the polls, he wants a distraction from the china inquiry, something doesnt add up.

https://www.ft.com/content/54721d57-fe1b-4d28-ab9b-a664f110770b

US President Joe Biden and other western leaders expressed concern to Narendra Modi, India’s prime minister, about Canadian claims that New Delhi was involved in the murder of a Sikh activist in Canada when they met the Indian leader at the G20 this month.
Three people familiar with the discussions at the G20 summit said several members of the Five Eyes — an intelligence-sharing network that includes the US, UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand — raised the killing of Hardeep Singh Nijjar with Modi. One said Biden felt it was important to raise the issue directly with his Indian counterpart.
Adrienne Watson, the White House National Security Council spokesperson, said “targeting dissidents in other countries is absolutely unacceptable and we will keep taking steps to push back on this practice”.
The leaders intervened at the G20 summit after Canada urged its allies to raise the case directly with Modi, said two people familiar with the situation, who added Ottawa asked them to mention the claims in private.

Are you claiming that Trudeau is manipulating the Financial Times, which is committing libel against the President of the United States?

As for nijjar? lets just say gods plan. This issue isn't partisan in india. Congress MP Singh Bittu a sikh himself said Canada needs to stop harbouring evil dooers and that nijjar was responsible for killing Mr. Singh Bittu's grandfather.

No Nijjar shouldn't have been shot, in an ideal world he'd be rotting away in Gitmo or in indian prison for the crimes hes commited. This was not a martyr that the media is making him out to b
The Indian authorities could have requested an extradition from Canada if that were the case, and the evidence would have to satisfy Canadian standards of justice. There have been successful extraditions from Canada to India in the past, so the Indian authorities would be aware of what is needed. These standards for extradition are important, because otherwise any tinpot dictator can accuse anyone of being a terrorist and demand their extradition. But, whatever the Indian authorities did provide to Canada about Harjeet Singh didn't meet Canadian standards for an extradition, so was rejected. That means the Indian authorities knew they didn't have the necessary evidence for an extradition, meaning his killing was purely outside the law. No country will tolerate this, regardless of its political situation.

As for the issue not being partisan in India, sure. We'll see what happens when property and bank accounts in Canada that are owned by both BJP and Congress Party members are frozen.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies