Not finished: Trump reportedly raised at least $11 million since Tuesday (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 05:03:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Not finished: Trump reportedly raised at least $11 million since Tuesday (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Not finished: Trump reportedly raised at least $11 million since Tuesday  (Read 1367 times)
emailking
Atlas Icon
« on: June 24, 2016, 08:22:16 AM »

I don't understand why a middle-class person would give money to Trump, since he claims to be worth $10 billion. Even if you love his policies and vote for him enthusiastically, he can finance his own campaign. In 1992, Ross Perot wrote checks to match all of the money Bush and Clinton receive, and ended up receiving 19%of the vote; why can't Trump do this? I find it offensive that Trump is even asking for money from people making $40,000 a year (average middle-class salary). My mom is a diehard Trump supporter making that amount, and she sent him $10.00. I just can't imagine sending this man $1.00, not even because of his positions, but because he can afford to fund himself, but does not, it seems. If Bernie Sanders ( who I sent around $300 to in the primaries) was a billionaire, I would not send him a penny either, because he can do it himself. Why should I (a person who makes $10 an hour at a part-time job) be asked to finance a billionaire's campaign?

I agree. I gave Obama money in '08 but I won't give Hillary money this time, given how wealthy she is. I would only consider it if she used a significant fraction of her own money and still needed more. Giving Trump money is on a whole other level, especially with how much he brags about his wealth.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 02:08:02 PM »

I agree. I gave Obama money in '08 but I won't give Hillary money this time, given how wealthy she is. I would only consider it if she used a significant fraction of her own money and still needed more. Giving Trump money is on a whole other level, especially with how much he brags about his wealth.

Bill and Hillary Clinton's estimated net worth is $111 million dollars. That is not even close to enough to finance a serious presidential campaign. Even if she used up all her money, which is an insanely unreasonable expectation, it wouldn't even come close to being enough. Further, net worth estimates aren't representative of their liquid assets, or in other words, it doesn't mean they have 111 million dollars ready to spend, though to be fair much more of their net worth is probably liquid compared to say, the Donald.

They need substantial donations just as much as the next candidate. Trump could actually sell property to finance his campaign (which he most likely won't), but the Clinton family has no such means.

But what I'm saying is if you have 100 million dollars and want a billion, I don't want to help out with my $30 until help out with your $30 million, or something pretty substantial. If she wants to hold on to her fortune and hope the money still flows into the campaign, yeah that's fine. People can do whatever they want with their money. But I don't want to give a millionaire money if they're not spending any of their own.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies