Anti-Muslim bigotry is mainstream among Republicans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 05:09:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Anti-Muslim bigotry is mainstream among Republicans
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Anti-Muslim bigotry is mainstream among Republicans  (Read 4927 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2018, 02:13:38 PM »

Why would a restaurant in a predominately Muslim area bother to keep pork in stock? That's a waste of money when all or most of it will spoil before being sold.

I doubt restaurants in Kiryas Joel, New York, have ham sandwiches on the menu either.

Actually, Subway did try some kosher stores in the US, however, there are only two left.  Apparently the couldn't compete with local delis.

I imagine the clientele is different for deli meats and processed subway meats.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2018, 02:15:35 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2018, 02:20:40 PM by BlueSwan »

There is a concern that certain devout portions of their population might push back progress on women's rights and gay rights. I, myself, would not want to see women being shackled into their homes and being forced to wear restrictive clothing. I wouldn't want to see gay marriage and protections be rolled back. I want to be able to walk into Subway and get a ham sandwich (something increasingly difficult in places like the UK). I don't want our cities to turn into the no-go zones of Stockholm or Bradford, or Copenhagen.

...and I wouldn't want Christians pulling that crap either.
Please tell me where there are "no-go" zones in Copenhagen?

https://clarionproject.org/danish-pm-warns-no-go-zones/

Don't be blind to threats in your own backyard.
That story is massively distorted from the danish newspaper article. Yes, the prime minister talks of problems with ghettos and indeed those problems exist. He even mentions that police isn't able to work effectively in those areas, but that is NOT the same as "no-go zones". There's nowhere in Denmark where it is unsafe to live or walk around in general.

Also, don't be ignorant of the fact that it can be politically expedient for right wing politians to fearmonger about immigrants.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2018, 02:17:38 PM »

This is Mjølnerparken. Generally thought to be the worst ghetto in the Copenhagen area. Judge for yourself how dangerous it appears:

Hell, I have had several students who lived there.
BoAtlantis

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2018, 02:20:46 PM »

It amazes me that so-called liberals celebrate the crumbling of Secular Modern Western Progress. After all the effort to eradicate religion from the public sphere, here it is creeping back. Give them an inch, a mile is taken.

It amazes me how much people that are racist refuse to admit it and smother themselves in the flag and liberty.
Wanting to protect women and gays =Racist. Good to know.

If your logic is based on solely consequentialism, then we should first start out by expelling evangelical Christians here that believe gays should be stoned to death. Or women that should go back to kitchen. We have many of those here in our country too.

We protect the rights of communists, KKK members, Scientologists and various groups that arguably dilute the American culture at a greater rate.

So, why then, should we not protect the rights of Muslims?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2018, 02:36:04 PM »

Why would a restaurant in a predominately Muslim area bother to keep pork in stock? That's a waste of money when all or most of it will spoil before being sold.
I doubt restaurants in Kiryas Joel, New York, have ham sandwiches on the menu either.

Exactly.
It's just a business decision based on the demographics of the people they serve in their community. Period.
Just like business decisions not to bake cakes for gay couples or business decisions to have separate drinking fountains, right?

Denying gay cakes is an excellent business decision, sadly. All of the prominent ones have become millionaires from Evangelical donations.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2018, 02:41:50 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2018, 02:44:54 PM by ProudModerate2 »

There is a concern that certain devout portions of their population might push back progress on women's rights and gay rights. I, myself, would not want to see women being shackled into their homes and being forced to wear restrictive clothing. I wouldn't want to see gay marriage and protections be rolled back. I want to be able to walk into Subway and get a ham sandwich (something increasingly difficult in places like the UK). I don't want our cities to turn into the no-go zones of Stockholm or Bradford, or Copenhagen.

...and I wouldn't want Christians pulling that crap either.

Please tell me where there are "no-go" zones in Copenhagen?

https://clarionproject.org/danish-pm-warns-no-go-zones/
Don't be blind to threats in your own backyard.

That story is massively distorted from the danish newspaper article. Yes, the prime minister talks of problems with ghettos and indeed those problems exist. He even mentions that police isn't able to work effectively in those areas, but that is NOT the same as "no-go zones". There's nowhere in Denmark where it is unsafe to live or walk around in general.

Also, don't be ignorant of the fact that it can be politically expedient for right wing politians to fearmonger about immigrants.

Agree.
To use Copenhagen (Denmark) as some kind of "no-go" example is absurd.
That country is 1,000 times more "safe" than the USA.
If we used general safety rules to describe a "no-go" zone, we (the USA) would have an enormous amount of such zones (not necessarily because of "Muslims," but other safety concerns).
Basically .... our sh*t smells horribly in this area of discussion, and it is complete hypocrisy to pick-on Denmark or Sweden.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2018, 03:30:02 PM »

I always want to laugh when people say "but at least GWB didn't say bigoted things about the Muslims". True, he just killed thousands of them, destroyed one Middle Eastern country and heavily contributed to all subsequent problems. It was under him, whether he said so or not, the "Muslim" became a stock character of America's enemy.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2018, 06:00:23 PM »

If I want a ham sandwich, I should be able to walk into any American sandwich shop in the world and purchase one.  Period.  End of story.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2018, 06:17:42 PM »

If I want a ham sandwich, I should be able to walk into any American sandwich shop in the world and purchase one.  Period.  End of story.

Even a kosher one?  Or are they not American?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2018, 07:47:51 PM »

Of course they are. They don't even have a reason to sugar-coat it or use dog whistles like with other types of potential bigotry. They know Muslims won't vote for them and that they are a very small percentage of the population who can't really affect their constant pursuit of maintaining political power.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2018, 08:46:11 PM »

Exactly.
It's just a business decision based on the demographics of the people they serve in their community. Period.
Just like business decisions not to bake cakes for gay couples or business decisions to have separate drinking fountains, right?
Stop using us (I'm talking about my Bi/Pan ness, not my being trans) as political footballs to bash another oppressed minority group. You've talked about how supporting us is "identity politics" for how long now?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2018, 09:58:58 PM »

It amazes me that so-called liberals celebrate the crumbling of Secular Modern Western Progress. After all the effort to eradicate religion from the public sphere, here it is creeping back. Give them an inch, a mile is taken.

It's their faith in progress that leads them to believe Muslim immigrants will convert en masse to secular liberalism.  As soon as they begin to question this assumption, Democrats will turn more anti-Muslim than the Republicans.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2018, 10:37:00 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2018, 10:40:57 PM by hofoid »

Exactly.
Stop using us (I'm talking about my Bi/Pan ness, not my being trans) as political footballs to bash another oppressed minority group. You've talked about how supporting us is "identity politics" for how long now?

Funny, considering Islamists (as well as other religious sects) have been using gays/bi’s as political footballs in the countries they control. Besides, they even prefer gay people transition as it’s much more acceptable to them than same sex partnerships. Perhaps, you can find common cause with them.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2018, 10:41:27 PM »

It's their faith in progress that leads them to believe Muslim immigrants will convert en masse to secular liberalism.  As soon as they begin to question this assumption, Democrats will turn more anti-Muslim than the Republicans.
What kind of “when they go low, we go high” delusion is that?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2018, 12:52:46 AM »

What kind of “when they go low, we go high” delusion is that?

Cultural arrogance, but mediated by universalist anti-racism. Same as liberal interventionists and neocons thinking they can set up functional democracies in far off lands while disregarding the history of those places. They like the idea of diversity, but not the difference in values and mores that this actually involves. 
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2018, 06:34:31 AM »

Hofoid, I can't take you all that seriously in your defense of LGBT and women's rights when your one source is the often very homophobic and mysogynistic Daily Mail
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2018, 07:33:56 AM »

Hofoid, I can't take you all that seriously in your defense of LGBT and women's rights when your one source is the often very homophobic and mysogynistic Daily Mail

I doubt he actually cares about those groups, he's just using them as a way to try and kill all muslims.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2018, 08:21:32 AM »

I always want to laugh when people say "but at least GWB didn't say bigoted things about the Muslims". True, he just killed thousands of them, destroyed one Middle Eastern country and heavily contributed to all subsequent problems.
Iraq was a sh**t show before Dubya, it was sh**t show 50 years before Dubya and it probably will be 50 years from now and people will still be blaming Dubya/the US/the west for it.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Ya think some Muslims might have played a role in that too?
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2018, 09:14:43 AM »

I doubt he actually cares about those groups, he's just using them as a way to try and kill all muslims.
Considering that I'm bisexual and a supporter of 2nd wave feminism, perhaps I have more at stake than the pro-Islamist, neoliberal, diversity Quota (even to the detriment of equal rights) gang.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2018, 11:57:48 AM »

Exactly.

Funny, considering Islamists (as well as other religious sects) have been using gays/bi’s as political footballs in the countries they control. Besides, they even prefer gay people transition as it’s much more acceptable to them than same sex partnerships. Perhaps, you can find common cause with them.
Projection much?

Considering that I'm bisexual and a supporter of 2nd wave feminism, perhaps I have more at stake than the pro-Islamist, neoliberal, diversity Quota (even to the detriment of equal rights) gang.
I didn't know second wave (and 90% of modern second wavers are regressive and disowned by the rest of the movement) feminism was obsessed with ending identity politics.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2018, 01:25:37 PM »

hofoid supported anti-LGBT Dan Lipinski over LGBT supporter Marie Newman.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2018, 01:28:11 PM »

Also it was second wave feminists who engaged in absurd "identity politics" attacks about Hillary Clinton, calling Bernie supporters sexist, etc. Lots of third wave feminists including most Millennial ones supported Bernie.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2018, 01:37:17 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm surprised he didn't follow up with a cheer.
LOL. That must have been after the Orlando shooting that the GOP pretended to care about gay people for like 2 days because it fed their Muslim-hate narrative.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2018, 01:38:29 PM »

Obviously this is a bad thing, and I've always stood against hatred directed towards followers of any religion.

However, I've never understood why Democrats and other social liberals hate Evangelicals but love Muslims.  I say we respect thought criminals across the board!
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2018, 01:47:31 PM »

I'm a Republican and I don't hate Muslims or anyone over their religion unless they're trying to bring it into government.

I dated a girl whose entire family were Muslims (she was an atheist, but she was Persian so...) and they were fine people, well-educated and her father was a professor at a university, it's not like they were trying to impose Sharia Law on their daughter, much less the entire United States.

I feel the same way about Christians. It's okay to believe in your sky dictator, just don't try to enshrine him in the laws of our secular nation and affect my life.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies