Are young voters really as Democratic as being portrayed? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 09:56:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Are young voters really as Democratic as being portrayed? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are young voters really as Democratic as being portrayed?  (Read 12786 times)
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« on: June 03, 2009, 07:26:51 PM »

I honestly don't believe there is any evidence that social issues are to blame. Sure, young people support gay marriage (though not as much as some want us to believe). So? Who steps into the voting booth and votes on gay marriage?

I don't think the Republicans have to scrap these social issues, they just need to do a better job in explaining them.

What makes you think the support of young people for gay marriage isn't as much as some people want you to believe?  What do you think it is?  

The GOP has become the anti-gay, anti-environment party.  They aren't going to have a chance with young voters if they don't get away from that.

Well I'm a young person and I oppose gay marriage. I know many people that agree with me too. But many people who agree that it's wrong don't see any good reason to oppose it. Republicans need to flat out say something along the lines of "gays cannot naturally reproduce to create a family so their marriage is illegitimate and should not be recognized by the state" instead of taking the "sanctity of marriage" dodge. Or something like that.

That's a weak argument. There are several straight couples (and plenty of old people) who cannot reproduce; should they not be allowed to marry either? The purpose of marriage is not to procreate. Marriage is about love, not gender. The Republicans really have no sound argument on which to base their opposition to gay marriage other than it's "wrong," "immoral," "disgusting," and "sinful," on which they point to the Bible and when you start injecting religion into politics, this is what turns young people off so much. I'm not saying that young people are overwhelmingly secular/atheist/agnostic/nonreligious, whatever term one chooses to use, but there is a sense among our generation to uphold the separation of church and state doctrine which DOES exist no matter how hard the conservatives try to argue differently.

Young people are considerably more liberal than the general population. I'm 23 and I am very liberal on the social issues but tend to be a bit more moderate on fiscal issues, and I'm more conservative on foreign policy issues (obvious to see now why I supported Hillary). I think the main reason my generation is more liberal than our parents' generation is simply because of nature. Youth has always had this reputation of rebelling against authority (in this case, the parents), which is a liberal philosophy in of itself. We've grown up where it's "cool" to question and challenge authority and the views promoted by our parents; again, another idea of liberalism. The social issues, though, are probably the most defining factor. Our generation has become much more tolerant and accepting of homosexuality (we go to school and work with gays and lesbians and we are not threatened or disgusted by them - it's considered "cool" among our generation to have a gay friend), and I would argue that a large number of people my age do support same-sex marriage. Evidence:

"A recent study by the Pew Research Center found that liberals are now the largest and fastest growing ideological group, while recent polls have found that young Americans are considerably more liberal than the general population. A slight majority, 56 percent, of those age 18 to 29 favor gay marriage, 68 percent state environmental protection to be as important as job creation, 52 percent "think immigrants 'strengthen the country with their hard work and talents,'" 62 percent favor 'tax financed, government-administrated universal health care' program and 74% "say 'people's will' should have more influence on U.S. laws than the Bible, compared to 37 percent, 49 percent, 38 percent, 47 percent and 58 percent among the general population."

Basically, young people don't like being told how we should live our lives, and since Republicans like to do that by telling us what we can and cannot do with our bodies and who we can and cannot have sex with, it's pretty obvious why we vote so Democratic. Tongue
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 08:32:14 PM »

Of course people eventually can't have kids, but that's not the same thing as never being able to have kids, like gays.

Basically, if your biological functions permitted you to have a child with your partner (whether or not that actually happens), its legitimate, otherwise, its not natural.

(In the case of cripples, it still would be legit if they could have had a kid in the absence of the physical disability.)

I believe the instituion of marriage is primarily about building a family.

Although I guess that does sound complicated.

Support for big government would not be as high if they were aware of the high costs involved.

I don't want to turn this into a gay marriage forum, but your argument about never being able to have kids is still pretty weak. Like I said, there are several straight couples who are not able to have children because of infertility. Does this mean they shouldn't be allowed to marry either? Nowhere in the marriage vows does it say "I will have children." And what about several old people who haven't been married their entire lives and have no family but wait until their 60s or 70s to get married when they're obviously past their child-bearing years; should they not be allowed to get married either because they can't build a family? I had a college algebra professor who was in her 60s and hadn't been married her entire life and had no children but met a man on the Internet and they recently got married but they obviously can't have children; should their marriage be invalidated all because of that? They love each other and are happy together; what's wrong with that? It all depends on your definition of a family. You don't have to have children to be considered a family. A couple (a man and a woman, two men and/or two women) that is happy and in love basically serves the function of a family. And for all these couples who aren't able to have children (the gays and infertile straight couples), there's always adoption. There are so many children wanting and needing a home where they can be loved and nurtured by caring individuals. Adoption is clearly not natural either; should we eliminate it as well and just say, "Sorry kids. Your parents made a mistake and abandoned you and now you're on your own because we can't place you with your non-biological parents because it's not 'natural.'" Of course not.

Having children in your marriage is a choice, not an obligation. I see your point but strongly disagree with it. Everybody wants somebody to grow old with, and shouldn't everyone have that right? It all boils down to commitment and love, not procreation and children. "Love never fails."
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 05:01:09 PM »

COming from a Teen, most teens are politically retarded. By retarded I mean brainwashed.

As you are a troll, such an observation from you doesn't surprise me.  Your social and economic values suggest a fascist, and somehow "Jewish fascist" seems an oxymoron.

Did you know that you misspelled "President"? You must be retarded in your language skills.

Sorry. For my spelling that is. I'll try to  check over my grammar more.

Also... I'm not as partisan as you might think.

and i'm not brainwashed.  Also  i'm not a  fascist.  sorry to disappoint you

Brainwashed because they don't vote Republican? I guess it's better to be brainwashed than to be brain dead. Tongue

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies