If one is 1/32nd Native American, should they be considered Native American?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 10:56:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  If one is 1/32nd Native American, should they be considered Native American?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: If one is 1/32nd Native American, should they be considered Native American?
Yes

No

Only if they have tribal health insurance

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: If one is 1/32nd Native American, should they be considered Native American?  (Read 3098 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2014, 12:07:07 PM »

Why am I being mocked and criticized and laughed at and brutally at that for my heritage?  You all do not get to decide whether I can call myself Native American.  That is not your call to make.  You guys are scum for debating this and mocking me because of it.  I ask that this thread be locked immediately.

And, it's a legitimate question in our society how people categorize themselves and claim different identities.  For example, I half-Jewish ancestry, but my dad is a Jew, not my mother.  So, some people would say I'm not Jewish at all.  Especially since I don't go to temple or participate in Jewish religious life much at all. 

I'm also 1/32 Native American.  I wouldn't dare speak for Native Americans or call myself one because my family and upbringing had nothing to do with being Native American.  On the other hand, I know a lot about what it means to be Jewish, it means something to me.  If being Native American has meant something in your life, fine.  But, don't just say, I'm Native American because my great, great, great grandmother was Native American.  And, certainly don't say it so cavalierly and in service of silencing the legitimate complaints of Native Americans.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2014, 12:10:04 PM »

Of course no.  I'm 5/32th Native American and 1/32th black, but I don't consider myself either, and nor should the government.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2014, 12:13:30 PM »

Why am I being mocked and criticized and laughed at and brutally at that for my heritage?  You all do not get to decide whether I can call myself Native American.  That is not your call to make.  You guys are scum for debating this and mocking me because of it.  I ask that this thread be locked immediately.

And, it's a legitimate question in our society how people categorize themselves and claim different identities.  For example, I half-Jewish ancestry, but my dad is a Jew, not my mother.  So, some people would say I'm not Jewish at all.  Especially since I don't go to temple or participate in Jewish religious life much at all. 

I'm also 1/32 Native American.  I wouldn't dare speak for Native Americans or call myself one because my family and upbringing had nothing to do with being Native American.  On the other hand, I know a lot about what it means to be Jewish, it means something to me.  If being Native American has meant something in your life, fine.  But, don't just say, I'm Native American because my great, great, great grandmother was Native American.  And, certainly don't say it so cavalierly and in service of silencing the legitimate complaints of Native Americans.

If you read my last post (I think?) in the Redskins thread, then I clearly stated that I very rarely, if ever, give written validation that I am Native American.  On ethnicity questions, I always answer Caucasian unless the questionnaire is Native American-focused.  If asked, I verbally give adherence that I am Native American, because I feel a strong bond with the Indians and I do receive tribal health care, but I never answer Native American on non-NA ethnicity questionnaires.  I always answer Caucasian.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2014, 12:21:00 PM »

Don't drive no big, black car
Don't like no Hollywood movie star

You want me to be true to ya
Don't give a damn what I do to ya

'Cause I'm a dirty white boy

Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2014, 02:15:11 PM »

Hey, it worked for Elizabeth Warren right?

She won a scholarship to GWU when she was only 16 so it's not like she needed to claim Native American heritage to get into Harvard.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2014, 02:19:34 PM »

Of course not. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2014, 02:21:56 PM »

If asked, I verbally give adherence that I am Native American, because I feel a strong bond with the Indians

Oh?  How so?

Oh, and  you mock yourself when you're 1/32nd anything and claim to be it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2014, 02:24:54 PM »

If asked, I verbally give adherence that I am Native American, because I feel a strong bond with the Indians

Oh?  How so?

Oh, and  you mock yourself when you're 1/32nd anything and claim to be it.

I am not going to deny or ignore my heritage.  My heritage from my mother's side has a lot of Indian.  That said, please re-read the post that you quoted.  I don't give written credence to my Native American heritage.  I only give verbal when asked.  Nobody is bringing that up, instead I'm being attacked for even mentioning it at all.  What am I supposed to do?  Ignore or deny my heritage?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2014, 02:26:46 PM »

I'm 1/8th Cherokee, and I have never considered myself Native American anymore than I consider myself Italian or Scots-Irish, Warren jokes aside. If they say I can be part of their tribe, thats cool. If not, thats cool as well.

Angus is 100% right, as usual.

politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2014, 02:29:27 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2014, 06:07:07 PM by politicus »

I don't think that being 1/32 something in itself should preclude you from identifying with that ethnic group. Denmarks most famous arctic explorer Knud Rasmussen was only 1/16 Inuit, but he spoke fluent Greenlandic, was an expert dog sledge driver and hunter and always considered himself a Greenlander. The problem with Bushie and his Indian identity is that he has no actual relation to the culture and language of those people.

Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2014, 02:30:02 PM »

I must say that I am curious about the "strong bond with the Indians" that he feels, though...
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2014, 08:26:39 PM »

It's tough for me to argue against it considering they still have Native American ties in their bloodlines, even though it's very a small influence. But, I guess someone that is 1/32 German they are not considered German, so I see the argument against it.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2014, 12:42:55 AM »

Meh, I'm 1/8 Cherokee and I don't consider myself Native Americans.

Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2014, 08:51:56 AM »

If I didn't use Indian health care, I would probably consider myself a plain old Caucasian American.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2014, 09:05:25 AM »

I don't think that being 1/32 something in itself should preclude you from identifying with that ethnic group. Denmarks most famous arctic explorer Knud Rasmussen was only 1/16 Inuit, but he spoke fluent Greenlandic, was an expert dog sledge driver and hunter and always considered himself a Greenlander. The problem with Bushie and his Indian identity is that he has no actual relation to the culture and language of those people.

Sorry politicus, but that's just one example......My grandparents were from Cephalonia and hell,  who knows who those islanders connected up with when the ships came in  I could be 1/32 of just about anything, and I wouldn't identify  myself with it.......it's too presposterous in Bushie's case too.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2014, 06:42:02 PM »

Sorry politicus, but that's just one example......My grandparents were from Cephalonia and hell,  who knows who those islanders connected up with when the ships came in  I could be 1/32 of just about anything, and I wouldn't identify  myself with it.......it's too presposterous in Bushie's case too.

My point was that self identification and cultural attachment/knowledge is ultimately what matters.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2014, 07:09:58 PM »

Uncharitable people may note that, as far as making a comparison of Bushie to Knud Rasmussen goes, Rasmussen did end up dying from something he ate.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2014, 09:14:06 PM »

imagen Bushe during Trale of tears
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length