How do you Define Left and Right? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 09:21:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  How do you Define Left and Right? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How do you Define Left and Right?  (Read 2835 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: December 20, 2012, 03:33:54 PM »

The fundamental distinction is between those who seek to encourage and stimulate progress (the left) and those who seek to slow it down or reverse it (the right). I know the notion of progress is not very popular among the left-wing crowd in this forum, but I don't see what other notion you could base the left/right divide on. All the others that have been proposed (equality/hierarchy, liberty/solidarity, individual/collective, etc...) aren't universal but related to a specific political-social context.

On the whole, this though there are certain situations where a "liberal" might be put in a reactionary position and vice-versa depending on how you look at it. (I would cite the 1896 election as an example where at the same time the "left" sought to "progress" away from the stratified capitalism, and at the same time "regress" back to a much more agrarian economy. Meanwhile the "right" sought to "conserve" the stratified capitalism and at the same time defend the "progress" of industrialization against reactionary agrarianism.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies