Boston University professor: White Males a "problem population" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:14:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Boston University professor: White Males a "problem population" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Boston University professor: White Males a "problem population"  (Read 19764 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« on: May 23, 2015, 06:27:31 AM »

Recognizing privilege is not the same as feeling guilty about it.

But yeah, this type of anti-racist does more damage than good.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 04:20:57 AM »

You're deliberately misunderstanding the proper concept of privilege, though, and only attacking a version of it that only the craziest of the social justice types actually believe, that whites/males/white males always, in every situation, have greater privileges than anyone else. This is obviously untrue and I haven't seen anyone in this thread actually argue that.

"White male privilege" only means there are certain situations where, other things being equal, you are likely to be favored because of your race and/or sex. Obviously the upper class black female NYC stock-broker is more privileged than the Kentucky white male fast-food worker. But there's really no way an intellectually honest individual can look at things like statistics for arrests, or who gets hired for certain jobs, and not realize these things are a factor and are bent in your favor. To what extent, or where, or in what circumstances that is bent in your favor, can be argued, fine. But it very often is.

Nowhere in these processes are people trying to get you to apologize for being white. Well, no one reasonable, anyway. I'm curious what logic led you to the conclusion that people were.

And I wouldn't base an entire argument off this, as it's sort of a fallacy I guess, but could you at least admit the possibility that you don't think you've benefited from privilege in your life because you just didn't notice? And that simply not noticing a phenomenon doesn't mean it isn't there?

Well...

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/exclusive-woman-held-psych-ward-obama-twitter-claim-article-1.2159049
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies