First C.E.S [draft] Recommendation: Banning of Write In Candidates (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 07:34:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  First C.E.S [draft] Recommendation: Banning of Write In Candidates (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: First C.E.S [draft] Recommendation: Banning of Write In Candidates  (Read 5091 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« on: August 21, 2004, 01:17:31 PM »

I wonder if Al supports Preferential voting. Remember how that was supposed to help the little guy? Well doesn't write in voting help the little guy? I find the support for pref. voting and the disapproval of write in voting very odd.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 08:51:31 AM »

I ws thinking these exact things when I went to sleep this morning.

The same thing happened in D1.  You had a left candidate (Handzus), a center candidate (Andrew), and a right candidate (Phil).  Phils voters did not put down ssecond preferences.  If they had, we would most likely have Andrew in the Senate now.  Because they did not, they are stuck with Handzus.

So thats two elections where the Republicans inadvertently elected the furthest left candidate, by not listing second preferences.

So on second thought, why don't we keep everything how it is. At least until Republicans wake up and start using Preferntial Voting.

Sorry, but I know I won't be using it. I'm not going to be against a system when I am hurt by it and be for it when it helps me. No hypocrites here, Akno.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 09:24:06 AM »

The same thing happened in D1.  You had a left candidate (Handzus), a center candidate (Andrew), and a right candidate (Phil).  Phils voters did not put down ssecond preferences.  If they had, we would most likely have Andrew in the Senate now.  Because they did not, they are stuck with Handzus.

So thats two elections where the Republicans inadvertently elected the furthest left candidate, by not listing second preferences.

So on second thought, why don't we keep everything how it is. At least until Republicans wake up and start using Preferntial Voting.

Sorry, but I know I won't be using it. I'm not going to be against a system when I am hurt by it and be for it when it helps me. No hypocrites here, Akno.

I am all for Preferential Voting. In the 3 elections I have voted in, I have used it all three times, whether it hurts or helps. In a 3-way race, it can really help. If you had instructed your voters to place Andrew second instead of placing nobody second, you'd have a UAC Senator and not a AFIP one.

And what don't you understand? I don't like preferential voting. I am not going to speak against it when it hurts me and speak for it when it helps me, even if it meant a UAC Senator over and AFIP Senator. I'm not a hypocrite. My opinion on this will not change.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 09:38:17 AM »

I am all for Preferential Voting. In the 3 elections I have voted in, I have used it all three times, whether it hurts or helps. In a 3-way race, it can really help. If you had instructed your voters to place Andrew second instead of placing nobody second, you'd have a UAC Senator and not a AFIP one.

And what don't you understand? I don't like preferential voting. I am not going to speak against it when it hurts me and speak for it when it helps me, even if it meant a UAC Senator over and AFIP Senator. I'm not a hypocrite. My opinion on this will not change.

Fine, have it your way. But just don't complain when you are stuck with left-wingers to represent you. I'm not a hypocrite. When have I been against Preferential Voting.

What are you talking about? I never called you a hypocrite. I'm saying I WILL NOT BE ONE by being against it when it hurts, and defending it when it helps. And I'm not complaining that I am stuck with a left winger representing me, atleast not right now. You guys go to the Senate and do what you must, but if you are going to represent the extremes of your party (which I have a feeling you will) then I won't be the only one complaining, but others will be too (since this is far from an extreme left district.)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 10:38:33 AM »

Well if we pass Ernest's Act and you don't use preferential voting your vote won't count Phil.

Well let me now voice my opposition to that Act. What if there are three candidates and two of them are total jokes. I have to actually make a decision as to who would get my second vote which could swing the election? Give me a break. I urge my Senators to vote NO on Ernest's Act.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 11:01:52 AM »

Well if we pass Ernest's Act and you don't use preferential voting your vote won't count Phil.

Well let me now voice my opposition to that Act. What if there are three candidates and two of them are total jokes. I have to actually make a decision as to who would get my second vote which could swing the election? Give me a break. I urge my Senators to vote NO on Ernest's Act.

25 million Australasians can't be wrong! This is the system used in Australia and New Zealand.

Hey it might work well there but NO Ernest Act in Atlasia!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 11:07:13 AM »

25 million Australasians can't be wrong! This is the system used in Australia and New Zealand.

Have you read it?

You just told me that I would have to vote by preferences if I wanted my vote to be counted. That's all I need to know to say that I don't support this Act.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2004, 11:14:12 AM »

Have you read it?

You just told me that I would have to vote by preferences if I wanted my vote to be counted. That's all I need to know to say that I don't support this Act.

Really? It is a few pages back and a large document containing a lot of legislation, it might be an idea to read it before passing judgement.

What don't you understand? I saw the "large document" and you told me that in that "large document" there is a part that states you MUST vote by preferences or your vote won't count. I don't support that. That's my opinion. Is that ok with you Senator?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies