Is Oregon now more "winnable" than New Mexico for the GOP (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 04:06:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Is Oregon now more "winnable" than New Mexico for the GOP (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: well?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Is Oregon now more "winnable" than New Mexico for the GOP  (Read 2089 times)
henster
Junior Chimp

« on: January 03, 2014, 09:38:38 PM »

A Republican hasn't won statewide in Oregon since 2002 there would be have to be a strong third party showing like Ralph Nader in 2000 in order for the GOP to have any chance of winning this state.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 11:54:46 PM »

No, Oregon is very culturally liberal, which, in my opinion, I can't see the GOP winning over. All the GOP has to do is do better with Hispanics (which they can easily do, but their image is killing them right now) and they'll do lots of improvement (since the state is almost majority Hispanic). New Mexico is closer to the GOP PVI wise as well.

Current registration party enrollments in New Mexico (as of August 1, 2013) are:

Democrats: 47%
Republicans: 32%
Independents: 18%
Other parties: 3% (I guess these are mainly Libertarian voters)

So even if every independent New Mexico voter would vote for the Republican presidential candidate, that candidate would just barely win the state. Tongue

All independents voting Demcratic would end in this landslide: D 65% - R 32%
All independents voting Republican instead would squeak out a victory for the other side: R 50% - D 47%

Good point, but that assumes these turnouts are the same, which isn't totally realistic. We do know that, especially in the sun belt, republicans turn out much better than democrats. Plus not all people in the party vote the same way (there's usually about 10% that vote for the other candidate, don't ask me why).

Oregon is a vote by mail state who turns out better is meaningless everyone gets a ballot in mail and chooses to fill it out or not that's why Democrats are so resilient in Oregon there really isn't a dropoff in Democrat support in midterms.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies