muon2's Diplomacy game
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:47:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  muon2's Diplomacy game
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: muon2's Diplomacy game  (Read 14804 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2018, 10:33:05 PM »

Austria is never boring, that's for sure! Tongue
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2018, 10:36:24 PM »

Austria and Italy effectively start the game with only 2 units for the most part with how the game is set up.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2018, 11:15:03 PM »

Austria and Italy effectively start the game with only 2 units for the most part with how the game is set up.

That all depends on their diplomacy. Smiley
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2018, 04:41:23 PM »

I want to share the answers to a couple of questions I received by pm.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Yes, I'll accept superseding orders up to the deadline. Provisional orders have the advantage of avoiding a No Moves Received situation.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Not generally. The order for the army is simply to the destination, and the order for the fleet is to convoy that army as in: A Ank–Sev; F Bla C A Ank–Sev. An exception is when the army could move by either land or convoy and the choice is to go by convoy, then the army order should include words like "via convoy" to make it clear (see the 5th edition 2008 rules linked in the OP).

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2018, 09:29:42 PM »

Seven have signed up, so the game is on. The countries have been assigned randomly:

Austria - TJ in Oregon
England - Pope Michael Bolton/jdb
France - NOVA Green
Germany - Cath
Italy - YPestis25
Russia - Baconomics/Bacon King
Turkey - GeorgiaModerate

Negotiations are open by pm or whatever means are agreed to. Feel free to post questions or general statements on this thread. The first move for Spring 1901 is due by pm to muon2 by 11:59 pm Friday Oct 12.

I'm using JDip to generate maps and orders. The abbreviations on the map are acceptable for orders. Here is the starting position.

Can you please specify the timezone by which the first move is due via pm to the GM, since we all live in different timezones within the United States, people might have travel to other time zones via the course of the game, including International Travel, etc....? 

Smiley
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2018, 11:11:11 PM »

I implied, but did not make it clear in the OP. The time zone is US Central Time, that is CDT or CST as appropriate to the week of the year.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2018, 01:33:01 AM »

So apologies for asking an additional question regarding the rules, so all players have visibility...

Players can CHANGE their moves so long as they are received by the deadline specified?

As you likely well know, in traditional games of Diplomacy, especially in FTF settings, this allows the political realism that involves "11th Hour" decisions, Brinksmanship, etc... that creates a more potentially realistic atmosphere, and an extra element, especially as we march into the 20th Century.

It might well not be a factor in this particular game, but certainly a consideration for players debating between various options, send their initial moves, then receive communications from various other World Powers, and need to rapidly shift their movements, after they have already PM's their moves...

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2018, 09:25:10 AM »

wow, I tried to post from mobile here several days ago to resign but I only now realized it didn't go through apparently?

When I signed up I thought I was just responding to a general interest check and the game wouldn't begin for a while. Unfortunately the election is keeping me too busy (working as a state senate candidate's campaign manager + volunteering when possible for other campaigns) that I don't have time available that all for negotiating with people and etc throughout the week.

I apologize that this is only being seen now, it's not the first time my phone has eaten my posts I've tried to submit but I was sure my post ITT had gone through Sad
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2018, 06:20:58 PM »

This is an impropmtu poll of the players in light of BKs abdication from Russia. I can continue with the turn and all units will hold. Alternatively I can hold off the move for a week and try to find a replacement. Unless everyone agrees to the second choice moves go through as scheduled.

Of course there is another possibility: someone reads this or finds someone in the next few hours to take over Russia. If they post here by the deadline and pm me moves for Russia, I'll count it as an early Russian revolution.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2018, 06:27:02 PM »

This is an impropmtu poll of the players in light of BKs abdication from Russia. I can continue with the turn and all units will hold. Alternatively I can hold off the move for a week and try to find a replacement. Unless everyone agrees to the second choice moves go through as scheduled.

Of course there is another possibility: someone reads this or finds someone in the next few hours to take over Russia. If they post here by the deadline and pm me moves for Russia, I'll count it as an early Russian revolution.

I'm OK with waiting for a replacement.  An abandonment right off the bat would throw off the game IMO.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2018, 06:34:11 PM »

I'm OK with waiting for a replacement.  An abandonment right off the bat would throw off the game IMO.

Motion seconded, additionally it allows a little longer for the diplomatic process to develop, since many of us likely didn't realize we were playing until we were PM'd by another player.

I was wondering why I hadn't received any response yet from Russia, and thought they just didn't like me. Wink

Also, question to your statement: "I can continue with the turn and all units will hold".

1.) Does this mean that the units of all countries will hold or just Russia?

2.) It sounds like the default will be the statement above, unless all players agree.

3.) So, just to be safe, I guess it is best to submit moves in case all players do not agree prior to the imminent deadline in just a few short hours?

Please clarify--- and btw THANKS for agreeing to moderate and putting this all together muon2!!!!

America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2018, 06:41:16 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2018, 06:55:30 PM by #KavanaughForPrison »

I could play Russias moves for 1 single turn, but I would not want to play any longer, and would prefer to drop out in later turns for someone else to take over.

If someone else more interested than I am is also able to rush in moves before the deadline, I request that muon ignore the orders I sent and use the orders from a more interested player.

Of course if the other players all decide to request the extension, then ignore the moves I sent in that case as well.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2018, 07:41:19 PM »

I could play Russias moves for 1 single turn, but I would not want to play any longer, and would prefer to drop out in later turns for someone else to take over.

If someone else more interested than I am is also able to rush in moves before the deadline, I request that muon ignore the orders I sent and use the orders from a more interested player.

Of course if the other players all decide to request the extension, then ignore the moves I sent in that case as well.

Thanks for the offer. If I don't get another player, or I don't get 6 votes in favor of waiting, I'll take your moves and we'll start looking for a permanent Russia.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2018, 09:30:42 PM »

I vote to wait
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2018, 03:46:55 AM »

I'd be in favor of waiting as well, (assuming I haven't missed the boat).
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2018, 10:06:14 AM »

Without 6 votes to delay the turn, solid4096 (perhaps playing the role of Finance Minister Sergei Witte) steps in for the abdicating Tsar of Russia.

Results for Spring, 1901 (Movement)

General Notices:   
      No retreating units; retreat phase skipped.Order resolution
      completed on 13-Oct-2018 at 09:36:31 CDT

Order Results:

Austria:
            A bud - ser
            F tri - alb
            A vie - tyr

England:
            F edi - nwg
            A lvp - edi
            F lon - nth

France:
            F bre - mao
            A mar Supports A par - bur
            A par - bur

Germany:
            A ber - swe by convoy
                  No convoy order received, A ber Holds.
            F kie - bal
            A mun - sil

Italy:
            F nap - tys
            A rom - tus
            A ven Holds

Russia:
            A mos - ukr
            F sev - bla
                 Bounced with ank (1 against 1).
            F stp/sc - bot
            A war - gal

Turkey:
            F ank - bla
                Bounced with sev (1 against 1).
            A con - bul
            A smy - con

And this is the position to start Fall 1901.

The map symbols above seem a little clearer to me than the default I used for the starting position. Let me know if you think otherwise.

solid4096 indicated that his assistance was for the short term only and he needs to be replaced. Any volunteers for Russia will be accepted. At present the deadline for Fall 1901 moves stands at 11:59 pm CDT on Fri Oct 19.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2018, 07:55:09 PM »

Ernest's peanut gallery analysis for Spring 1901/Fall 1901.

Austria:
The  A vie - tyr move just doesn't make sense unless Austria is allying with France against Germany.  Fall moves of A tyr - mun with the French A bur supporting will likely gain Austria bav unless Germany does as I describe below. To the south, Serbia has been secured and Greece can easily be obtained (F alb - gre with A ser supporting). However in the north, Russia appears to have ita choice of either vie or bud, as moving to deny Russia that chance would require risking a net gain of zero supply centers, while Austria is on track to have a net gain of one or two supply centers with a continuation of its aggressive Balkan move depending on what Germany does.

England:
Lots of options here.  The main short term consideration is whether to deny Germany gaining Denmark.  If it does then Britannia's orders will be F nth-den and A edi-nwy convoyed by F nwg.
However England can gain two supply centers if it wants without anyone being able to stop them:  There are two decent ways, but I think A edi-hol convoyed by F nth and F neg - nor is probably the better absent any info on the diplomacy.

France:
F mao-por and A mar-spa seems forgone. The real question seems to be what about the army in Burgundy.  Austria's move suggests a Franco-Austrian alliance, in which case A bur supports A tyr-bav will be the order.  But Austria might not be an ally or France could choose to screw them. A bur-bel will either gain Belgium for the French Republic or bounce England if they choose to go there instead of the Netherlands.

Germany:
Germany had a bad start. There was nothing that could have convoyed the army to Sweden since the fleet was not yet in the Baltic Sea.  (Muon probably should have advised Germany that he was giving an impossible order this early in the game, when people will be rusty and/or ignorant concerning convoy requirements.) Germany needs some major diplomacy right now, but it could easily be out of the game soon.  What moves it makes will heavily depend on that diplomacy, so no move analysis right now for them.

Italy:
The apparent Franco-Austrian alliance should be worrying. It can't prevent France from taking Iberia, so diplomatically, it should concede that and go all out against Austria unless it can arrange something better with diplomacy. A tus-tun conveyed by F tys and A ven-tri

Russia:
Except as a diplomatic chip, there's no reason them to not do F bot-swe as militarily it has nothing else useful to do  It has multiple ways to take Romania with the best ways depending on whether Russia is allied with one them or is facing an Austro-Ottoman alliance.

Turkey:
It's best moves depend on who it is allied with.Austria or Russia. An Italo-Ottoman alliance has no bearing on what Turkey does this time.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2018, 08:18:27 PM »

Russia:
Except as a diplomatic chip, there's no reason them to not do F bot-swe as militarily it has nothing else useful to do  It has multiple ways to take Romania with the best ways depending on whether Russia is allied with one them or is facing an Austro-Ottoman alliance.

You could volunteer to take over Russia. Smiley
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2018, 08:55:29 AM »

Russia:

You could volunteer to take over Russia. Smiley

I could but I won't.  I have enough on my plate that I don't feel like committing to a game where regular participation would be expected instead of chiming in from the peanut gallery whenever I feel like it.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2018, 09:03:21 PM »

This is a reminder that we still need a permanent replacement for Russia in the game. Please feel free to solicit a player to take over. I will continue to try as well.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2018, 10:21:45 PM »

I have reached out to 3-4 individuals on Atlas that are generally stable and reliable posters, to assist in the cause of recruiting a 7th player to represent Russia, since essentially we had a player unexpectedly bow out, not realizing the game clock was ticking, combined with the reality that the game started a bit late, with most posters not realizing they were selected until they received PMs from other players....

I have one individual in particular, that if interested would be an amazing addition to the game, even if just in a caretaker role....

There a few potential options available here:

1.) Players agree to pause the game for a Week, in the event that we do not have either a permanent or temporary caretaker.

This will address issues of Game imbalance in the event the "Russia Holds" all Military Movements for one Game Cycle.

2.) We look at shifting the format from a weekly turn-based game to a bi-weekly cycle, since there are various individuals interested in playing, but have work-life commitments that creates a "time management situation", where it is easier to accommodate a longer-term game. (Obviously this creates a greater commitment on the part of the GM Muon2 (Who has volunteered to host this game--- THANK YOU!!!!)

Additionally, in many ways this is more the cycle time of the "Old Skool" Postal Games of Diplomacy, considering that the USPS doesn't generally commit to more than an average 3 day delivery time for 1st Class mail to most parts of the United States.

3.) We all can obviously role play about the impacts of an earlier element of political unrest in Russia, so a 2-Week Move Cycle will align with overall Political Instability within the Russian Empire at that time, or even potentially in the event that other players leave the game for various reasons, allowing time for replacement players from a "waiting list" to jump in.

4.) Hell--- it's been quite a few years since I have played Diplomacy, and would rather lengthen the "Move Cycle Times" if it gives us greater coverage....

Thoughts All???
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2018, 05:38:45 AM »

I'm fine with pausing the game until a permanent Russia is found.

If others prefer a biweekly move schedule I'm OK with it, although the weekly schedule isn't a problem for me.  I suggest putting retreats and adjustments on a shorter schedule, though.  Even a week seems like a lot for those; two weeks is overkill.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2018, 07:33:58 AM »

My plan with a Friday deadline was to handle retreats and adjustments over the weekend so that the game was set by 0 hour Monday. I have no problem stretching the regular move cycle, it's just my experience that it becomes more likely that players will find a need to leave as the game gets longer. My preference is to keep with a week, but stretch individual moves when there is enough advance notice, such as around holidays. But if everyone wants to extend, then I will.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2018, 07:38:44 AM »

My plan with a Friday deadline was to handle retreats and adjustments over the weekend so that the game was set by 0 hour Monday. I have no problem stretching the regular move cycle, it's just my experience that it becomes more likely that players will find a need to leave as the game gets longer. My preference is to keep with a week, but stretch individual moves when there is enough advance notice, such as around holidays. But if everyone wants to extend, then I will.

That seems very reasonable for retreats and adjustments.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2018, 10:47:23 PM »

S'pose I could play as Russia. Anyone tell me what I should do because I have a reasonable idea of what moves I want to make.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies