The States People Really Want to Move to (Post-Recession) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 01:56:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The States People Really Want to Move to (Post-Recession) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The States People Really Want to Move to (Post-Recession)  (Read 3831 times)
hopper
United States

« on: January 02, 2016, 05:39:27 PM »

People move where the jobs are, everything else comes second.  I mean, hell, people have been moving to North goddamn Dakota in droves for the past umpteen years, and it's not because it's pretty or hip.
Yeah Fargo that's polar bear weather which is too cold for me!
hopper
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 06:06:56 PM »

The biggest blue states (CA, IL, NJ, NY) are losing massively while the biggest red states (AZ, GA, NC, TX) are gaining massively.

And getting less Republican as more people move there. 

Unfortunately, we really can't expect much from AZ/GA/TX this early on, and NC population growth is much less minority-oriented than the others in a relative sense.
Or Texas EVER considering Texan Hispanics are far more conservative than other Hispanics and Gregg Abott actually won hispanic men in 2014. Georgia is stabilizing at it's current level and North Carolina is unlikely to continue its trend. Arizona is a possibility but if it does, it won't matter because it'll be negated by political shifts in the Midwest.
No, Texas Hispanics pretty much vote like other Hispanics do in terms of R vs D% on average. The Texas "More Conservative than other Hispanics Theory" went away once Obama was elected in 2008. Maybe more socially conservative than other Hispanics in other states but probably the same as other Hispanics in terms of economic issues idealogy wise.

No, Abbot lost Hispanic Men to Davis 63-37% per Latino Decesions Poll.
hopper
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 06:14:04 PM »

The biggest blue states (CA, IL, NJ, NY) are losing massively while the biggest red states (AZ, GA, NC, TX) are gaining massively.

Have TX and TN really gotten less Republican in the last years?

I must say I'm surprised that VA isn't one of those states. I mean, it's a pretty terrible state (especially NoVA) so I understand why people don't want to move there, but we've heard so much about migration turning VA into a blue state.  

Actually people typically move to places with similar ideologies. That's a false idea that migration turns red states blue. That isn't happening.

Probably the two things that help Democrats the most are Urbanization and increasing minority populations.    Both are happening rapidly in all the high growth states.    Probably in the future we're going to see the more Urban states vote one way and the Rural states vote the other.   

I don't really think Domestic Migration affects things all that much on it's own.   

NH is a rural state and still one of the most Democratic states in the nation. I get your point, though.
Well NH is a purple state.
hopper
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 06:27:41 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2016, 06:29:48 PM by hopper »

Have TX and TN really gotten less Republican in the last years?

I must say I'm surprised that VA isn't one of those states. I mean, it's a pretty terrible state (especially NoVA) so I understand why people don't want to move there, but we've heard so much about migration turning VA into a blue state.
Why do you think VA is a terrible state...just wondering?? NOVA is just very populated in terms of population density and getting off the Beltway from DC/MD into VA is a nightmare because of the traffic even with the addition of the newer flyover ramps.

In my experience VA can be boring my Dads uncle lived in Gordonsville for years before dieing 2 years ago. Its a very rural area and as I got older the rural aspect bothered me. Of course if you go into Charlottesville its much like where I live except for University of Virginia being there.
hopper
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 07:10:31 PM »

The only state that has seen a Democratic trend out of those is North Carolina.

Hasn't Georgia, though? That didn't used to be the case with in-migration in the 1990s, but I believe that domestic migration is one driver of Georgia's increasing racial diversity.

Well International Migration is adding to GA's population too adding 134,971 people to the states population from 2010-2015. Domestic Migrants added 82,493 people to the states population from 2010-2015 for a total combined 217,464 new migrants to the state during the past 5 years.
hopper
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 01:47:39 PM »

Actually people typically move to places with similar ideologies. That's a false idea that migration turns red states blue. That isn't happening.

Probably the two things that help Democrats the most are Urbanization and increasing minority populations.    Both are happening rapidly in all the high growth states.    Probably in the future we're going to see the more Urban states vote one way and the Rural states vote the other.   

I don't really think Domestic Migration affects things all that much on it's own.   
Well Domestic Migration or in this  case Domestic Out-Migration it affects a state in a way that if you lose to many residents you have to have a lot of International Migration coming into your state to make-up Domestic Outmigration losses. A state can lose a lot of tax revenue from constant domestic outmigration and you have to make up that tax revenue up by getting a lot of International Migration. For example, California is gaining "Overall Incoming Migration" just by International Migration alone. Illinois doesn't have enough International Migrants coming in to its state to make up for all of its Domestic Migration losses.
hopper
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 12:03:17 AM »
« Edited: January 24, 2016, 12:04:59 AM by hopper »

Absolutely correct.

Just look at, for example, 1976 and 2008 Colorado!

Not sure what your point is.  Yes, migration into formerly red states like Vermont and Colorado absolutely did turn them blue ... but on the flip side, migration (during the 1950s, 1960s and especially the 1970s) into formerly blue states like Virginia, Texas and Florida slowly turned those states red (during the 1980s and 1990s).  Of course, now the opposite is happening again with those states (well, at least pushing them in Democrats' direction in the case of Texas and Florida), but I think his point was that migration into a state itself does not inherently spell trouble for Republicans ... it just is right now in most battleground states.
Texas? No.  Vermont-Yeah migration from NY and MA turned it Dem.
hopper
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 12:15:16 AM »

People move where the jobs are, everything else comes second.  I mean, hell, people have been moving to North goddamn Dakota in droves for the past umpteen years, and it's not because it's pretty or hip.
Yeah Fargo that's polar bear weather which is too cold for me!
Umpteen?  Only since 2009 and that's definitely over for the time being.  

One silver lining about the out-migration in Minnesota is that the bulk of it is 50+ people moving to warmer climates.  The state is gaining in the 25-40 categories.  But also a bad sign is that many leave the state for college and don't return... at least for quite a while.

In any case... the bulge of baby boomers is shrinking while the younger population grows which will lessen the blow as baby boomers continue to age into retirement.  Minnesota is also one of the states that generally has positive total migration because international migrants outweigh the negative domestic migration.
Yeah MN is +35,651 in total migration covering the Census Period from 2010 to 2015.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies