Which one can be put into (71)?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 07:46:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Which one can be put into (71)?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which one can be put into (71)?  (Read 331 times)
v0031
China
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 09, 2020, 06:51:48 PM »

Jack got up early and dressed himself. Then he came to the washroom and said, "In 2020, I'm going to brush my teeth after all the three meals. " Then Jack went to the kitchen and said to his mother, " ( 71 )I will be a good boy. "His mother was very happy to hear that.
When Jack arrived at school, he had no homework to hand in. He said to his teacher Mr. Hicks, " ( 72 ) In 2020 , I'm going to always finish my homework on time . "Mr. Hicks smiled at Jack. (73) He said to his friend Nick,
"In 2020, I'm going to stop eating fast food, because it's bad for my health." Nick smiled.
After Jack got home after school, he ate dinner voraciously and then started to play computer games. (74)
Then he said to himself, "In 2020, I'm going to play computer games at most one hour a day."
Before bedtime, something came to Jack's mind and he couldn't help laughing. You know what, Jack made the same resolutions for 2019, but he didn't keep them at all. How about 2020? Come on, Jack! You will do a great job. Make2020 your year.

A. Sir, this will never happen again.
B. He played them for up to four hours!
C.I think 2020 will be a different year for me.
D. In 2020, I'm going to be always nice to you.
E. At lunchtime, Jack went to the dining hall and he ate two hamburgers.

I choose C. What's your opinion?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 06:54:59 PM »

C. is the best fit here in context, D. is the only other one that remotely makes sense, but the mentions about how he will stop doing things later in the passage suggest C. A., B., and E. make completely no sense, given it's a quotation to his mother, while eliminates A. and E., and B. makes no sense in context.
v0031
China
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 07:00:56 PM »

Erica wrote her New Year's resolution on a piece of paper and then said, "Done!"
"That was quick," her mother said. "Can I hear it?"
" I have three, " Erica took the paper up and read. "Do the homework right after school. Don't leave chores to the last minute. Get an A in math." "Wow," her mom said, sounding worried,
"can you keep them?"
"Well, maybe not all of them," she said. "I'll try my best in math but that doesn't mean I can get an A for sure. "
"Maybe you should make an achievable resolution to take its place."
"Like what?"
"You'll think out something," her mom said.
Erica sat at the table, looking at her resolutions.
She really wanted to make all these things happen.
Suddenly, she came up with a great idea. If she planned some study time for each night, she might be able to get an A in math or at least a B+.
"How could I plan my time better to make it happen?" Erica said to herself. Plan! That was the answer.
" Mom! " Erica jumped up from the chair.
"What is it?" her mother asked.
"I've got it. To do all these things well, I need to make a schedule first."
With a smile on the face, her mother said, “that's a great resolution.”

40.What can we learn from the passage?
A. Erica thought it hard to learn math.
B. Erica enjoyed doing chores at home.
C. Erica was good at doing some planning.
D. Erica often stayed up late to do homework.

And what about this one? I choose C.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 10:22:02 PM »

I read the passage twice, and I'm not convinced that Erica was good at planning. Since two of her resolutions were "Do the homework right after school", and "Don't leave chores to the last minute", both of which suggest that she had not been good at planning her time. Planning was something that she recognized that she should do better at and it would make a good resolution.

Going back to the story, she does say that even if she tries her best she might not get an A in math. She even later says that a B+ might be a more realistic goal. That suggests to me that she didn't think math was easy. I would pick A.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 10:11:46 AM »

I'm thinking A
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 03:29:00 PM »

v you old dog you.  You're still asking questions after all of these years.  Good for you. 
v0031
China
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 07:39:26 PM »

On January 3,2019, Chang'e-4 spacecraft landed on the dark side of the moon softly.
People couldn't see the dark side of the moon on the earth and no other spacecraft arrived there before. In early December 2018, it flew in space and kept traveling around space for several weeks. It was ready for the “dark side” landing. Xinhua showed a picture to the world.
The landing of Chang'e-4 will help China a lot and scientists will go on studying the moon. Humans will go on to study other planets as well in the future. The great landing made people around the world surprised. More people are interested in the important thing, and the great landing even caught Elon Musk's eye. He said China was great on his tweet.
This is just one part of China's growing space exploration plans. A few years ago, China sent a spacecraft to study other parts of the moon. The latest flying of Chang'e-4 is trying to give first-hand information for the studying of the moon, the earth and the sun.

(  )2. By late December 2019, Chang'e-4 may travel in space for about ________ months.
A. 6        B. 8        C. 11        D. 13

What about this one? I pick C.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 07:43:39 PM »

I'd go D honestly, because to me, this implies it actually went into space in early Dec 2018 and we are talking about late Dec 2019, so 12+ months have elapsed, and if we say super early and super late respectively, say Dec 3 and Dec 27, that value will approach 13.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies