Donald Trump’s Red-State Problem (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 06:45:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Donald Trump’s Red-State Problem (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Donald Trump’s Red-State Problem  (Read 1121 times)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« on: August 10, 2016, 05:51:33 PM »

weird turn of phrase.

I had to look that one up.  Funny how we treat cats in our language.  For example "there's more than one way to skin a cat."  Who skins cats?  "Let the cat out of the bag."  Who bags cats?  Skin him, bag him, drop him, and see if he bounces.  Seems a little sadistic even to me, and I don't care for cats. 

Well, we're not in Kansas anymore Toto.  Auntie Em might not trust Hillary Clinton, but she sure as hell isn't impressed with Donald Trump.  Uncle Henry is probably a Johnson voter.

It's a mixture of metaphorical language use and forgotten or embedded cultural references. There's quite a number of them in all languages and sometimes, like cats in English, they follow particular themes. It's certainly fascinating how we create and interpret these so casually as native speakers.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 06:05:58 PM »

It's a mixture of metaphorical language use and forgotten or embedded cultural references. There's quite a number of them in all languages and sometimes, like cats in English, they follow particular themes. It's certainly fascinating how we create and interpret these so casually as native speakers.

It's interesting.  I've looked up the etymology of "raining cats and dogs" as well those for the morbid ones such as "saved by the bell", "dead ringer", and "graveyard shift."

I just have never or heard anyone reference a dead cat bouncing, although I have heard that "you can't swing a dead cat without hitting" something or other.

It won't be long now when newer generations will be asking "Why do we hang up our phones when we disconnect the call? How do you hang phones exactly and how does that stop the call?"

And we'll be shaking our heads Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies