Climate change and Milankovitch cycles (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:26:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Climate change and Milankovitch cycles (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Climate change and Milankovitch cycles  (Read 1352 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« on: September 19, 2017, 04:01:34 PM »

I'll defer your main question to a qualified scientist, but I feel the need to point out that scientists were predicting temperature rises due to CO2 in the 1800s, and the idea that "scientists used to say we were headed to an ice age!!!11" is a typical conservative #fakenews myth/lie.

Also 95% is a huge overestimate of the northern hemisphere population.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 06:51:48 AM »

I'll defer your main question to a qualified scientist, but I feel the need to point out that scientists were predicting temperature rises due to CO2 in the 1800s, and the idea that "scientists used to say we were headed to an ice age!!!11" is a typical conservative #fakenews myth/lie.

Also 95% is a huge overestimate of the northern hemisphere population.

In the late 60's and early 70's I was young and reading a lot of science on my way towards a career. I can confirm that the majority of material I read from reputable sources feared a cooling of the planet towards a new ice age. There were relatively few writers talking about the greenhouse effect.

I'm not calling you a liar, but you are either misremembering or were reading sources like Newsweek instead of academic journals:

https://www.skepticalscience.com/ice-age-predictions-in-1970s.htm
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies