How much do you know about Canadian politics [and history] (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 02:07:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  How much do you know about Canadian politics [and history] (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How much do you know about Canadian politics [and history]  (Read 3149 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: August 15, 2011, 01:10:28 AM »
« edited: August 15, 2011, 01:26:20 AM by Chemistry & Sleep Deprivation »

1. Stephen Harper, Puppet of Lords of the Tar Sands, Conservative, Calgary-Southeast.

2. Sénat-Senate and/et Chambre des Communes-House of Commons. Parliament is bilingual, too (in theory).

3. Official: Jack Layton, NDP, Toronto-Danforth.
   Interim: Nicole Turmel, NDP, Hull-Aylmer. Former leader of the public servants' union.

4. 10! (or 9, if we ask my parents what the answer should be).

5. Conservative, NDP, Liberal, Green.

6. Paul Martin, Liberal, LaSalle-Émard.

7. 4 (Malpeque, Cardigan, Charlottetown, Egmont (with horrible Gail Shea).

8. John A. MacDonald

9. I'm not sure, but I'll try William Lyon Mackenzie King, Liberal.

10. I'm not sure, I'm stuck between two. I'll say Brian Mulroney, Progressive-Conservative, Manicouagan. If not, it is John Diefenbacker, same party.

11. Trudeaumania.

12. Mulroney.

13. Robert Stanfield, Progressive-Conservative, Halifax?

14. Kim Campbell, Progressive-Conservative, Vancouver-something.

15. Jean Lesage, Liberal.

16. Davis? (don't count)

17. Crazy Abe? (don't count)

18. Joey Smallwood, Liberal.

19. Tommy Douglas, NDP.

20. Liberal, in 1935?

21. Confederation of Regions, on anti-bilinguism.

22. Darrell Dexter, NDP.

23. Louis Riel? (don't count)

24. Not a clue. The strangest I see is Vander Zalm, which means crazy insane in the Nederlands language, to me. (don't count)

25. Good question, I already know. I think he defected to the Liberals.

26. Conservative, Conservative and Unionist, Conservative, National Government (1940 election), Progressive-Conservative, Reform, Alliance, Conservative.

27. The Grits (formely Clear Grits, but "clear" doesn't describe them well, now).

28. The Senator Stauton-Mills?

29. I never heard of that "crisis".

30. Brown?

31. A MAILBOX! A MAILBOX! By the way, my shopping mall is in Mont-Royal riding.

32. Granby Zoo. I already went there.

xx. Trudeau?

Edit: 24,5/32 or 23,5/28.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 12:57:05 AM »

Intermediate:

1. The number of MPs of a provinces can't be lower than its number of senators.
   No province can have less MPs than it had before a year (1974?).

2. NB: David Alward, PC.
    Qc: Jean Familia Charest, Liberal, MNA for Sherbrooke.
    AB: Ed Stelmack, PC.

3. John Crosbie? Or he left?

4. Pierre Laporte, Liberal, Vice-PM and Work Minister. The main bridge across the St. Lawrence in Québec City has its name. FLQ means "Front de Libération du Québec".

5. The logic means Tommy Douglas to me (but I have Lewis in my head, too)

6. If I remember well, PM WLM King wanted to call early elections and went to see Byng, which was the GG then, as modern Prime Ministers do. The affair was created when he refused to dissolve Parliament and appointed Arthur Meighen, the Conservative leader as the new PM.

7. To assimilate the French population of Lower Canada, which "had no culture" by merging them with Upper Canada, among other sillyness. Obviously, the Quebec history course aren't positive at all about that "report" (in my opinion, that is only the ancestor of the rag "The Suburban".)

8. MMP and I think STV (in BC, towards the 50's)

9. I don't know Chanak and Gouzenko.
So, the Pacific scandal is a scandal about the Conservative Party in power which took bribes from the companies involved in the bidding for the contract to build the railroad linking BC and Eastern Canada.
Quiet Revolution. I could say long about it, but roughly it is a movement which involved all the Québec society, which caused, among things, the rise of independantism, the decline of the Catholic church, the foundation of the modern education and health systems of Quebec and the birth of the State-Providence. A wide liberalisation of the very conservative Québec society, in short.
Sponsorship Scandal. Jean Chrétien and his corrupt liberal friends (Hi, Alfonso!), after the narrow defeat of the NO in the 1995 Québec Independance referendum, decided to launch a program of visibility of the Canadian government in public events in Québec. That involved giving the contracts to do so to the donators of the party and overinflating the amounts given. Paying 5 figures amounts for putting Canada's logo on golf balls or on walls. Paying 5 figures amounts for three reports, which were exactly the same. Too bad, real crooks are still free.

10. Louis-Joseph Papineau was a leader of the Patriot Party which wanted to put the power in the hands of the French population (which was the rich French people in cities, like him, not the peasants in rural areas. A bit like French Revolution.) He didn't approved armed struggle and went things got hard for him, he flew in the US.
George-Étienne Cartier was some United-Canada co-PM, representing the Canada East. He was also one of the Fathers of the Confederation which, more or less, convinced Québec than the Confederation was the solution.
Henri Bourassa was the founder of the newspaper "Le Devoir" and the father of Québec nationalism. He also strongly supported Canadian nationalism against the imperialism of United Kingdom.
Robert Bourassa was a Quebec PM 1970-1976 and 1985-1993. Liberal. Among his realisations, there is the Baie James hydroelectrical project and an hunt to catch welfare frauders.
Jacques Pariseau is a moron was the Québec Prime Minister 1994-1995. PQ. He mainly prepared the 1995 independance referendum and said than the refedendum was lost because of "ethnic votes and money". He resigned the day after the referendum. Now, he annoys PQ by giving them "advise" in the medias and was called to help by Duceppe to save the failing campaign of Bloc in 2011.

Difficult:

1. Thompson? (the predecessor of the Strange Guy) and Joey Smallwood, Liberal.

2. D'Arcy McGee (I think his first name is Thomas and he has a provincial riding wearing his name in an uber-English part of Montréal. He was killed by the Fenians, which were against Confederation, because he was big supporter of the Confederation).

3.3. Only 4 parties. Once a party lost power, it never gained it back. Liberals where beated by UFA, which were deafeated by Social Credit (in 1935), which had the same fate, beated by the PCs in 1979.

4. Jean Marchand and a guy which I forgot the name.

5. Hard. The year would have helped. I'll suppose it is the election nea WWII and try CCF, Social Credit, Bloc populaire canadien and Labour Progressive Party (i.e. banned Communist Party.)

6. No idea.

7. The Red Book was the Liberal platform. The White Paper was a report on something related to justice than he wrote when he was Justice Minister, I suppose.

8. Elijah Harper was Cree and Pierre De Bané was Lebanese. So, I suppose than they were all the first person of their ethnicity elected as an MP.

9. Georges Vanier? Roméo Leblanc, Jeanne Sauvé and Michaelle Jean are still alive.

10. 5 (6 counting Yukon, which isn't a province) (I see ADQ, PQ, QS, SP and WA).

11. It sounds dumb, it must be Chrétien, he loves to say nonsence.

12. Nova Scotia?

Unfair:
Difficult question. I'll try 44.6 to 55.4.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies