A Life Without Sex: The Third Phase of the Asexuality Movement (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 11:36:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  A Life Without Sex: The Third Phase of the Asexuality Movement (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A Life Without Sex: The Third Phase of the Asexuality Movement  (Read 4808 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« on: April 06, 2012, 02:30:22 PM »

I don't see what's wrong with calling asexuality a mental illness.  If you take away the stigma of the term "mental illness," that's exactly what it is, same with homosexuality.  It's a lack of a normal human trait beyond that persons control. Otherwise, it's just celibacy. 
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 06:32:21 PM »

I don't see what's wrong with calling asexuality a mental illness.  If you take away the stigma of the term "mental illness," that's exactly what it is, same with homosexuality.  It's a lack of a normal human trait beyond that persons control. Otherwise, it's just celibacy. 

Except no one calls homosexuality a mental illness. In fact, homosexuality was explicitly removed from the list of mental illnesses and is no longer considered one. If an uncommon trait beyond a person's control were all that were required, then Einstein would also be mentally ill, because he was a genius. But even if asexuality were voluntary, it wouldn't necessarily be the same as celibacy. Priests are not voluntarily asexuals; they still experience sexual desire, only they control it through their vows. It is not their desire that matters, but the will of God. Also, not all asexuals are celibate. Some do engage in sex for social reasons.

I understand.  I don't want to sound like a bigot on this issue because I'm not.   I'm simply stating by saying asexuality or homosexuality, or better yet transsexuality, isn't a neurological condition (and likely caused by a genetic mutation of some sort), you're basically saying it's a choice.   It's not.  It's a biological error beyond a person's control.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies