Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 12:16:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1
« previous next »
Thread note

Pages: 1 ... 165 166 167 168 169 [170] 171 172 173 174 175 ... 179
Author Topic: Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1  (Read 210507 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4225 on: November 13, 2018, 02:19:03 PM »

Senator Sinema is probably one of my favorite victories in recent years. She's a great image for the party.

She really, really, really isn’t.  I mean winning the Senate seat is important, but there’s a legitimate argument to be made that the better woman lost.  Sinema said about a week after 9/11 that she has “no problem” with Americans joining the Taliban and fighting our country’s own soldiers in Afghanistan.  Sinema is also an exceptionally unprincipled politician who almost compulsively flip-flops, is currently calling Joe Manchin her role model, and said she was undecided on Kavanaugh (which McSally was terrible about too, don’t get me wrong).  That’s not what anyone should want as the future of the Democratic Party.
I love how you put "no problem" in quotes when she never said that exact phrase, which is exactly the talking point that both McSally and Trump put out there. Thank you for caring so much about people being unprincipled though.

It's better for the future of the Democratic party for someone who said "Let's ****ing do this" when talking about stripping protections for pre-existing conditions from people's health care to be elected? Then McSally has basically lied about that vote and quote for the past year. It's Sinema who is unprincipled?

Judging Sinema off a dismissive comment from 15 years ago (Sinema: "Fine. I don’t care if you want to do that, go ahead." OMG...SHE LOVES THE TALIBAN SO MUCH) and calling McSally a better woman while ignoring her unprincipled flip flops is rich.

Sinema isn't perfect. I hope she pulls a Gillibrand. But what a weird thing to harp on,especially while inventing a quote while acting as the morality police for the Democratic party.

Some of us are sometimes in a rush when we post here b/c we actually have lives and don’t always get every exact word right when we’re posting a quote from memory, but yes, Sinema said “I don’t care” if Americans join the Taliban to fight U.S. soldiers and actively opposed the war on terror.  Because that’s soooooooo much better Roll Eyes

I never said McSally was a principled individual; tbh, I don’t like her at all.  Both her and Sinema are flip-floppers, although Sinema has the ideological consistency of Donald Trump, so she’s a bit worse.  And say what you will, McSally actually served in the military instead of going around spewing nonsense about a non-violent response to 9/11 (I.e. no remotely meaningful response).  Sinema changes positions and ideologies like a snake shedding its skin and I think we both know that you’d be singing a very different tune if Sinema were a Republican.  

As for the rest of your post, strangely enough I don’t care whether or not I have the approval of some random Atlas Democratic hack.

Protip: Writing in all caps, doesn’t make your argument stronger; it just makes you look unhinged.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4226 on: November 13, 2018, 02:47:42 PM »

McAdams up by 1,020 after the latest Utah County dump. Another Salt Lake dump is coming at 5pm ET. Not sure how many votes are left.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4227 on: November 13, 2018, 02:49:39 PM »

McAdams up by 1,020 after the latest Utah County dump. Another Salt Lake dump is coming at 5pm ET. Not sure how many votes are left.

The fair districts amendment has fallen behind Sad
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4228 on: November 13, 2018, 02:52:00 PM »

Hopefully Salt Lake pushes that back up and over.
gf20202
« Reply #4229 on: November 13, 2018, 03:05:25 PM »
« Edited: November 13, 2018, 03:18:19 PM by gf20202 »

Protip: Writing in all caps, doesn’t make your argument stronger; it just makes you look unhinged.
protip: when you put something in quotes, it should have been said by someone. if you aren't unsure or in a rush, don't use the quotes. And when someone calls you on it, don't re-paraphrase to say that she was talking about "americans" (quoting you, not her) and not just dismissively to one misguided soul who kept diverting the topic in an extended conversation.

https://www.factcheck.org/2018/10/sinemas-taliban-comment-in-context/

i apologize to the forum for getting into it and coming in hot, but the repeated mischaracterization of this interview is among the many reasons that mcsally lost and it seems strange to keep trying to reposition morale outrage.

and if a democrat was using words games in similar ways against republicans, i would think it equally stupid and have thought so when done the countless times by both parties.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4230 on: November 13, 2018, 03:08:10 PM »

Hopefully Salt Lake pushes that back up and over.

Stephen Wolf thinks it will narrowly fail when all is said and done.

I don't think it really matters in the end. It was only an initiated statute and the legislature could have repealed it, and given that Congressional repercussions of not doing so, it's easy to see them gutting it or repealing entirely. But maybe it's worth trying again in 2020.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #4231 on: November 13, 2018, 03:13:16 PM »

Bruce Poliquin currently embarrassing himself:

Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #4232 on: November 13, 2018, 03:14:33 PM »

Yeet!
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #4233 on: November 13, 2018, 03:17:45 PM »

And while Bruce whines...

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4234 on: November 13, 2018, 03:55:51 PM »

I mean, the appeal will be thrown out just like the first suit was.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #4235 on: November 13, 2018, 04:08:25 PM »

In the first round of voting in LA-SEN 2014, Mary Landrieu got more votes than Bill Cassidy, fair and square. And yet, she's not a Senator anymore. I wonder why Poliquin isn't complaining about that...
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4236 on: November 13, 2018, 04:11:22 PM »

In the first round of voting in LA-SEN 2014, Mary Landrieu got more votes than Bill Cassidy, fair and square. And yet, she's not a Senator anymore. I wonder why Poliquin isn't complaining about that...

Jon Ossoff would also like a word.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4237 on: November 13, 2018, 04:16:22 PM »

You're mixing up apples with oranges here. Cassidy beat Landrieu fair and square in a Runoff. Meanwhile in Maine a Computer decides the Race. How weird! Maine has no Runoff.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #4238 on: November 13, 2018, 04:18:16 PM »

Poliquin looks like a dingus. Now he's acting like a dingus.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #4239 on: November 13, 2018, 04:21:05 PM »

You're mixing up apples with oranges here. Cassidy beat Landrieu fair and square in a Runoff. Meanwhile in Maine a Computer decides the Race. How weird! Maine has no Runoff.

No, it's the same thing. If a non FPTP system isn't allowed, then runoffs shouldn't be allowed either. So Cassidy should be kicked out and Landrieu should take her rightful Senate seat.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #4240 on: November 13, 2018, 04:31:38 PM »

Actually, people who voted third party, but put Golden as their second choice, above Poliquin, will decide the election. Thus, Golden will beat Poliquin fair and square among those who didn't put either one as their first choice.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4241 on: November 13, 2018, 04:32:32 PM »

No, it's the same thing. If a non FPTP system isn't allowed, then runoffs shouldn't be allowed either. So Cassidy should be kicked out and Landrieu should take her rightful Senate seat.

I have this joker on ignore, so maybe you should ask him what the flying fyck he means when he says that a computer will decide the race.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4242 on: November 13, 2018, 04:32:43 PM »

LOL, imagine you were running in ME-2. Do you really want your Race decided by a Computer? The big Difference is: Runoffs ARE constitutional, Ranked-Choice Voting isn't.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4243 on: November 13, 2018, 04:33:28 PM »

LOL, imagine you were running in ME-2. Do you really want your Race decided by a Computer? The big Difference is: Runoffs ARE constitutional, Ranked-Choice Voting isn't.
umm... they are pretty much the same concept.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4244 on: November 13, 2018, 04:33:41 PM »

A computer decides almost every race nowadays.   It's just a matter of how the computer goes about doing that.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4245 on: November 13, 2018, 04:35:03 PM »

Imagine if you were writing in English: would you want your statements to be understood in English? The thing is: you are writing in the language that looks like English, but is, actually, not Engliish because it is English. And that is so because I say so.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4246 on: November 13, 2018, 04:35:23 PM »

umm... they are pretty much the same concept.

No, they ain't.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4247 on: November 13, 2018, 04:36:13 PM »

I have this joker on ignore, so maybe you should ask him what the flying fyck he means when he says that a computer will decide the race.

I have him on ignore too (I took everyone off ignore for Election Night, but it didn't take long for him to get back on) but his arguments in the quotes are laughable.  RCV is just an efficient way of implementing a runoff; in fact, an alternative name for it is "Instant Runoff Voting".
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4248 on: November 13, 2018, 04:36:18 PM »

What he has in mind is that he is an idiot and he wants all of us to have no doubt about that.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #4249 on: November 13, 2018, 04:36:55 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

^You could strawman your way into any alteration of the voting system by that logic.
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 167 168 169 [170] 171 172 173 174 175 ... 179  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies