Why Did Carter Get No SCOTUS Appointments?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:35:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Why Did Carter Get No SCOTUS Appointments?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why Did Carter Get No SCOTUS Appointments?  (Read 1817 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2021, 08:33:13 PM »

Not for nothing, but Thomas has publicly said time & time again that he'll die on the bench, ideology be damned.

Alito will definitely retire during the next Republican presidency, though.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2021, 02:50:36 PM »

Not for nothing, but Thomas has publicly said time & time again that he'll die on the bench, ideology be damned.

This highlights the difference between highly ideological (Thomas, RBG, Gorsuch*) and highly partisan (Alito, Sotomayor) justices.  This is also why I really could see Sotomayor retiring this year or next to be sure of a similarly committed Dem successor. 

*highly ideological libertarian, at a 90 degree angle to the partisan positions in many cases
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2021, 04:30:24 PM »

It's difficult to see Thomas retiring unless he could ensure he is replaced not just by a conservative justice, but by someone in his particular mold. Jim Ho on the 5th Circuit, who's a former Thomas clerk, may come close based on his tenure so far, but I don't know if anyone who exactly mirrors Thomas exists anywhere.

All that said, I think Thomas wants to hold on until he gets to overturn Bakke/Grutter/Fisher.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2021, 05:23:06 PM »

It's difficult to see Thomas retiring unless he could ensure he is replaced not just by a conservative justice, but by someone in his particular mold. Jim Ho on the 5th Circuit, who's a former Thomas clerk, may come close based on his tenure so far, but I don't know if anyone who exactly mirrors Thomas exists anywhere.

All that said, I think Thomas wants to hold on until he gets to overturn Bakke/Grutter/Fisher.

IDK with the way the Republican coalition is evolving, I can't imagine the next Republican president being interested in appointing anyone whose jurisprudence flirts with Lochner. 
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2021, 01:07:48 AM »

No "unless" necessary: it's difficult to see him retiring, period. The man has been crystal clear about his stance on this.
cwh2018
Rookie
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2021, 03:25:08 PM »

This highlights the difference between highly ideological (Thomas, RBG, Gorsuch*) and highly partisan (Alito, Sotomayor) justices.  This is also why I really could see Sotomayor retiring this year or next to be sure of a similarly committed Dem successor. 

*highly ideological libertarian, at a 90 degree angle to the partisan positions in many cases
Thomas will retire under the next GOP president,  is also highly partisan, but has a somewhat unique jurisprudence where as Alito and Sotomayor are simply like party political operatives. Thomas also dissented in both Trump cases, despite agreeing with the Clinton v Jones  decision from Justice Stevens.
cwh2018
Rookie
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2021, 03:27:58 PM »

It will be hard to get someone like Thomas as his vision of law is so unique, perhaps Allison Rushing would be the best fit to replace him.

If Trump had won re-election Thomas would have retired this or next summer as far as I am concerned.

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2021, 03:50:26 PM »

Just saying "Thomas will retire" (let alone "under a Republican president") over & over again doesn't make it so, people.
cwh2018
Rookie
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2021, 03:57:24 PM »

I will end with this, that I think Thomas is highly partisan, like all on the court and will retire if able to at a time that suits himself and allowing the GOP to keep the seat with a like-minded successor.

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2021, 08:25:39 PM »

Thomas retirement rumors from usually reliable sources have occasionally bubbled up. I doubt it'll be in the next few years (unlike Alito, I think he likes the job) but you shouldn't take him at his word here either; the justices are politicians.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies